D-21 Vintage Reissue Review

9.2
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
D-21 Vintage Reissue Reviewed by: JRossjams, on april 09, 2009

Purchased from: Gruhn

Features: This Guitar was made in 2008 at the Martin factory- It has a solid top with rosewood back and sides. The finish is aged as it is a Vintage reissue model. It came with the nice Martin case- not the standard case. This guitar does not have any electronics as a standard feature but I am sure they could be added if needed. The tuners are Vintage style, another point that I felt made the instrument look appealing. // 10

Sound: I purchased this guitar with visiting Nashville. As most guitarist do- I stopped by Gruhn Guitars. I did not intend on purchasing a guitar however once I played this one- I was hooked. This particular Guitar was purchased from Martin after the "SPIGMA" ( Bluegrass Society Show? ) and was selected by the Martin Reps to take to the show. It was one of two that Gruhn had purchased. I play mainly blues but enjoy other styles- I purchased to use for fingerpicking blues and maybe learning some Bluegrass and or Country styles. The tone is what hooked me- my wife was there and commented on how good this guitar sounded. The guitar has a 3/4 nut - so it is made for flatpicking and or fingerstyle- it projects very well and has a sweet tone // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It was a Martin selected by the Martin reps to bring to the show- what else do I need to say- it is excellent in all aspects. The fit and finish are fantasic. The action is perfect for me ( Gruhn set up the guitar before shipping it back to me) The wood is matched up and the hardware is Vintage style tuners. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar seems very solid- I have not played it long, so I am not sure- but I think that it will get better with time. I don't gig (yet) but I would feel very comfortable taking it solo. This is an instrument that anyone would feel comfortable taking out and playing- very much an all around guitar- can fit most any style. // 9

Overall Impression: For what I currently play- this is a great all around guitar- tone is excellent- play-a-bility is superior. Finish is flawless. I ask many questions prior to purchasing ( such as the bracing configuration)The saleman had very good knowledge, as a matter of fact, he went and pulled the second of the two so I could play side by side. I ended up selecting the second one. I don't hate anything about this instrument and I love the tone. This instrument is teh complete package if you like the Vintage style and tone. // 10

More Martin reviews rating category latest review
+ OM-28E Retro 8.5 Acoustic Guitars 12/04/2013