D12X1 Review

8.6
review (1) pictures (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
D12X1 Reviewed by: kevkev, on july 01, 2010

Purchased from: Nevada Music

Features: First Review. Go easy. =] Specs. Made in Mexico, unsure when, recent though. 12String Acoustic 20Frets, but no cutaway so only really 16Frets of real playability. Solid Spruce Top For the price, it only included the Guitar at my local store, although there are some cheaper prices online if you shop around (I didn't have too much time due to gigs.) // 8

Sound: The Sound this Acoustic gives off is amazing for the price range which you find it in. By no means is it a top end Guitar, but for the 500 I spent on it, it gives a distinctive and very full sound, that suits well with the genres of music of bands that I play in (Folk, Country, Alternative Acoustic, Rock). Its suited every band so far, and noise hasn't been issue at all, with a rich level of sound being produced. It's not an electro acoustic, so I've been mic'in it through my Marshall AS100D amp, and with the added effects, it performs very well on live stage. I haven't performed to a person yet, who hasn't liked the sound this instrument gives, and I'd recommend people to take this seriously as possibly the best mid ranged priced 12 String Acoustics I can really think of, or having played. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I've had no issues with the factory set-up, and it's felt very comfortable when playing from the start. For newcomers transitioning to 12 Stringed Instruments, it plays very nicely as my friends and bandmates have pointed out. The finish of this guitar has been superb, and it looks the part with it's lovely Spruce Top finish. // 8

Reliability & Durability: As is the biggest problem with most 12 Stringed Instruments, the necks will unfortunately cease at some point in it's life, but this guitar has been made to last many years longer then those in it's price range. I was recommended onto this guitar by my tutor, after having wanted a better 12string for a while, and he said he hasn't had any issues for the years that he's had it. It's always reliable and has a long lasting finish that's already withstood a number of knocks without signs of damage. I wouldn't ever use any guitar without a backup at a gig, but if times were hard and I was down to my last guitar being the D12X1, I wouldn't have any hesitation in relying fully on it. // 9

Overall Impression: I've loved this guitar from the moment I bought it, and find myself using more so then I had originally expected to. I've been playing guitar for around 6years, and this has definitely left a great impression on my collection. Gigging wise, I've been using this a superb option of mixing things up from my usual Martinez Timberidge MT-4 Acoustic, and recorded together, they sound amazing. I'd definitely invest in this instrument again if it was stolen. The only way I would recommend at improving on this guitar, would be the addition of a good quality pre-amp, just for the ease of then gigging with it further. Otherwise, it has been a sound investment for my collection. // 9

More Martin reviews rating category latest review
+ OM-28E Retro 8.5 Acoustic Guitars 12/04/2013