DCX1E Review

manufacturer: Martin date: 02/27/2012 category: Acoustic Guitars
Martin: DCX1E
The DCX1E has a dreadnought cutaway shape with a Solid Sitka Spruce top and Mahogany Pattern HPL sides and back. Overall this is a fantastic guitar at an amazing price. This guitar could easily keep up with any style music, but it really shines with acoustic classic rock songs.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 9.4
 9.6
 9.1
reviews (2) pictures (2) 3 comments vote for this gear:
DCX1E Reviewed by: JoeFlips, on january 25, 2012

Purchased from: Dave Phillips Music and Sound

Features: The DCX1E has a dreadnought cutaway shape with a Solid Sitka Spruce top and Mahogany Pattern HPL sides and back. It also has a beautiful Rust Stratabond neck and black Richlite fingerboard. This guitar has 20 frets and 1-11/16" nut width. It comes with a Fishman preamp with built in tuner. The tuning pegs are non-locking Chrome enclosed. This guitar is made to be affordable and thus sacrifices real wood on the back, sides and fingerboard. This guitar was made in the USA. // 8

Sound: This guitar is very versatile and works well with the style of music I play, being acoustic classic rock and hard rock songs from Eric Clapton to Led Zeppelin and Stone Temple Pilots. But the best part of this guitar is the deep, rich, bassy Martin sound. The bass tone of the guitar produces a full, deep sound, but doesn't necessarily overpower the higher notes. The high notes have a very rich and clear tone, making for a well-rounded guitar. The HPL has little tonal difference from real wood. This guitar could easily be used for any and all styles of music. Whether this guitar is used for heavy strumming, acoustic melodies, or even fingerpicking, it always comes through. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: No complaints here, the guitar was set up nearly perfectly with a very fast, low action. The strings were very tight, allowing for some faster picking speeds. All the hardware was intact. I have owned this guitar for almost a year, and no problems have come up. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems very solid, and the HPL sides and back are more resistant to dents and scratches than wood. The hardware will most definitely last and the guitar overall seems reliable and strong enough to withstand live playing. The strap buttons seem stable, I haven't come across any issues, although I rarely use a strap. I would always bring a back up live incase of a broken string, but for no other reason. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this is a fantastic guitar at an amazing price. This guitar could easily keep up with any style music, but it really shines with acoustic classic rock songs. If it were lost or stolen I would absolutely buy another. I love the deep, rich Martin tone. I hate nothing about this guitar, though I do think a Martin with real mahogany sides and back would sound better, but I can't complain. I compared this guitar with a comparable Taylor and some other lower quality guitars, but nothing could match the beautiful sound of this Martin. // 9

DCX1E Reviewed by: bootyman, on february 27, 2012

Purchased from: Sadek Music (Dubai)

Features: Ok so this is Martin DCX1E Acoustic guitar, Made in USA. It has 20 frets total with a thin neck. The top material is solid Sitka spruce and HPL back and sides with Mahogany pattern. The fretboard is made of Micarta without inlays but with dots on the side and the finish is satin all over and it's a Dreadnought so it's quite big with a cutaway for higher fret access. It also has onboard Fishman electronics with volume, brilliance, treble and bass controls and a battery life indicator as well. It also has a strap button on the neck and another one on the end. Tuning machines are solid Martin as well. // 10

Sound: I mostly play acoustic (James Taylor, John Mayer etc.) blues, alternative and a bit of rock and this guitar can do it all. It gives you that Martin tone with rich bass and crisp high notes. It's great both plugged and unplugged and can stand up on a crowd full of noise. It's a versatile guitar and can be used for any genre and style you want. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is built real solid. The body feels just right when you play and the neck is smooth for transitions. The only negative thing I noticed is the action, it was quite high (for me) but overtime you'll get used to it. There aren't flaws on its appearance and looks very good with it's satin finish. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'd like to say that this is a reliable workhorse guitar. I've brought this to the airport with just a soft case and when I picked it up when I arrived it didn't have any changes on its sound and he hardware lasts for a long time. // 10

Overall Impression: I've had this guitar for two years and I'd say it didn't disappoint me. Its sound is consistent, and can stay in tune for a long time. It wont fail your expectations of a great acoustic guitar. If this was lost I'd just buy another one. The things that I really like about it are its sound, build and durability. I'd recommend this for anyone who likes to have a Martin guitar with a budget. Hope this review would help you. // 10

More Martin reviews rating category latest review
+ OM-28E Retro 8.5 Acoustic Guitars 12/04/2013