DM Review

manufacturer: Martin date: 01/24/2008 category: Acoustic Guitars
Martin: DM
With a solid Spruce top and laminated mahogany for the sides and back, this guitar produces an unmatched sound quality. The satin finish gives the DM a beautiful look.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 9.2
 9.3
reviews (3) 6 comments vote for this gear:
DM Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 20, 2004

Features: We bought it new and we have had it for about two years now. It has a Rosewood fretboard with 23 frets. It has a solid body top and is a Mahogany body and neck. It has a normal top showing the mahogany wood. The body is a dreadnoght with a normal bridge. We never had to make any adjustments to the guitar yet so almost everything is stock so far. We had a pickup installed into the body so we can amplify it on stage or off. We have a stock case that came with the guitar for free, with a leather strap and a few tools to adjust the neck height. // 10

Sound: I have a very wide range of music syles from flatpicking to hard rock to blues. But I mainly use this guitar for Folk or flatpicking. It has a very rich tone and is can be played as loud as you want especially with the pickup. It has a huge variety to it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was put together perfectly. It has no flaws with it except for the case that came with it. It's my only problem but as long as the guitar looks good, I really dont care what the case looks like. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar wil take what you can give it. I really am proud of this guitar and I will probably be buying from Martin the rest of my life. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for about two years and I play just about everything that has a guitar in it. I have a Washburn that I first started playing with and a 69' Hagstrom III. I wish that I would have gotten a better case; thats my only problem. I would probably buy a more expensive Martin. I love the tone of the guitar the best and the volume, my only problem is the tuners; they're a little sticky sometimes due to weather. // 10

DM Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 28, 2006

Features: This guitar was made in 1999, in the USA. It has 14 frets clear (20 in all). The top is solid Sitka Spruce, and the rest of the body is laminated Mahogany. The neck is made from a "selet hardwood" (maybe more mahogany), the fingerboard is morado, and the heelcap is solid Indiam rosewood. It has a satin finish, almost feels like bare wood. It has chrome Martin tuners, the things never go out of tune. Came with a beautiful hardcase. // 10

Sound: This guitar has a beautiful, bright sound. It's plenty loud for just playing without amplifying it. The solid wood gives it a great tone. Perfect intonation up and down the fingerboard. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Even though I bought it used, this guitar was in perfect condition. There were barely any scratches on the pickgaurd. The action was a bit high on the bass side, but I got it fixed and now it is perfect. Nothing wrong with it at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I don't play live, but there's no doubt in my mind it would hold up. I've had to tune it twice since I put new strings on it. The hardware all seemds pretty solid to me. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly Folk music, and this guitar is perfect for that. This is one of the nicest guitars I've ever played. It is cataloged at $1,000 on the Martin website, so I basically got it half off. I doubt I will ever sell it, and if it was stolen/lost first I would cry, then I would try to get it back. Worst case scenario I would try to get another like it, but would probably just get another Martin. It was pretty expensive to me, so it would take a while to replace it. I am extremely happy with my guitar, I would never replace it. // 10

DM Reviewed by: thejester, on january 24, 2008

Purchased from: Craigs List

Features: Features, well this is a basic acoustic guitar with Solid spruce top, Herringbone rosette, tortoise-color pickguard, A-frame X-bracingm laminated mahogany back and sides, with morado fingerboard and bridge. My dream Martin has always been the HD-28 but the price is a little exobenent. I played a DM at a guitar center and I just feel in love with the tone. I was positive though that I was not going to drop $900 on an acoustic guitar, especially considering I primarily play electric. // 7

Sound: As I said, I fell in love the sound of this guitar while playing it a guitar center. This guitar really gives you the opportunity to get a great sound for a great price. Do I think it is worth the new price tag of $900usd. Absolutely not, however if you can pick this up used I would jump on the opportunity. I have found myself playing a lot more acoustic for songwriting and building up finger strength. This will not achieve the sound of an HD-28 but it can get you quite close for the price. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up very well with the action a little high just the way I like it as I strum pretty hard. Playability wise it is perfect for me. The finish is, well, there is no finish. Nothing to write home about, but hey that's the part of the reason it is available at such an affordable price. The lack of finish kind of gives it a rustic feel and I welcome it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I doubt I will ever have a problem with this guitar. I have a guitar tech I take all of my guitars to and he does a wonderful job with the setup and maintaining my investments. I believe this guitar will last me as long as I hold on to it without any unforseen incidents. There are a few knicks and knacks on the guitar but I love beat up and worn instruments. It really makes it more valuable for me. // 9

Overall Impression: This is great for songwriting as you can take it anywhere and not always have to worry about getting an eviciton notice for playing your electric guitar too loud. I have owned three other acoustic guitars before, two beginning guitars and one Ibanez AEF-30. Needless to say this is by far the best acoustic I have owned. Yes there are better Martin's out there that I would die to have but I like to pump more money into my electric guitars and amps. For the price I paid I am extremely pleased with this instrument. If you want a good playing, nice sounding Martin, pick up a used DM. // 9

More Martin reviews rating category latest review
+ OM-28E Retro 8.5 Acoustic Guitars 12/04/2013