OM-28V Review

manufacturer: Martin date: 04/29/2013 category: Acoustic Guitars
Martin: OM-28V
The Martin OM-28V features the 000 body size, with a 25.4" scale length for a loud, projective tone. Equally suitable for fingerstyle or strumming, this may be one of Martin's most balanced guitars! Solid spruce top, black and white rosette, scalloped 1/4" bracing, solid rosewood back and sides, modified V neck, ebony fingerboard and bridge, and herringbone inlay.
 9.3
 9.8
 8.7
reviews (2) pictures (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
OM-28V Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 26, 2007

Purchased from: Second Hand

Features: Made in 2005. Solid Sitka spruce top with Vintage toner, book matched Indian rosewood back and sides, bone nut and saddle, open backed butterbean Waverley original tuners(added by myself), d'addario light guage strings. This guitar was a bargin buy, not a mark on it. I don't think it had been taken out of the case. 2000.00 list price. Looks a stunner. // 10

Sound: The sound from this small bodied guitar is unbelievable. Not as loud as a dreadnought but so sweet. When playing blues (the reason I purchased this guitar) it sings. Rich full bass, twangy trebles when required. It's perfect. Words do not do the OM-28V justice. Try one. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Beautifully made. Excellent craftsmanship. Only one mistake by Martin. When making a high end guitar why not fit the best tuners when you have made one of the best sounding and looking guitars. The Martin tuners were poor. So I took it upon myself to order some Waverely originals. Expensive but worth every penny to finish off this instrument. It is now perfect. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will stand up to most playing situations and I dare say it would handle some throwing around but it is certainly more delicate than my Taylor 410. This must be the case though as the sound of the Martin is much more subtle and delicate. This said I treat the OM with the upmost care as this is the best instrument I have had the pleasure of owning. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar can be used for any style of music but suits fingerstyle the best. Use it for blues, Robert Johnson, Clapton, Leadbelly etc and you will not want to put it down. Subtle well rounded bass, sweet singing treble. You must try one if you are after a fingerstyle guitar. This said take a pick and bash out some Neil Young and you find it handles that with ease too. Strumming is not a problem and the OM-28 can produce a loud sound for such a small body. As mentioned before I have a Taylor410 too. You cannot compare these two guitars as they have totally different sounds and uses. I will say this though I would buy another OM-28V if this one got knicked. I am not sure this is the case for the Taylor. // 10

OM-28V Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 29, 2013

Features: 2012 OM-28V, it has a highly figured sitka spruce top with aging toner that gives it a slightly yellow-ish tint, it looks very cool. The back and sides are rosewood and just gorgeous. The Herringbone inlay on the top is real sharp, and it has Vintage off white binding. The finish is a very thin lacquer on the top and back and sides. The overall guitar is VERY light weight. Bridge is ebony, so is the fretboard. The neck appears to be mahogany however Martin specs on it's website only say "select tonewood", so I can only speculate. // 10

Sound: The sound out of an OM-28V can be described as sweet and complex. Beautiful overtones and you can really hear the wood. The bass is deep and rich and the treble just sings - can't emphasize enough how pretty the trebles are. It's volume is impressive as well, pretty darn loud. It really excels for finger picking, gentle strumming, lead playing, and strum-arpeggio patterns. You can flat pick it, but if that's all you play I'd try to steer you towards a dreadnought. I'd rate it as quite versatile. I play tuned to Eb and use medium strings. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up pretty well out of the box - medium action. The strings were older than dirt but that's an easy fix. The sitka top is beautifully figured and the aging toner looks terrific with the Herringbone inlay. The rosewood back and sides are a show stopper as this particular one has not just a gorgeous grain but also hints of red coloring. My only gripe is that the Herringbone inlay doesn't line up perfectly in the back with itself - it's off ever so slightly. The back binding also has something that appears to have bled over into them as well. Both flaws are VERY slight and did not affect my decision to buy, but I feel they should be addressed. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Registered Martin's come with a lifetime warranty so I'm confident it's built to last. I'm under the impression that it will stand up to live playing perfectly. Hardware seems strong and reliable. I don't think the tuners are as good as they could be but they seem to be ok. I'm likely going to replace them at some point though. The strap bottom seems solid. I'd gig without a back up. The finish appears to be solid, but if it isn't no worries. Martin's, unlike some other guitars, age gracefully. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock, blues, and folk and this guitar is terrific for that. I've been playing for about 15 years. My other guitars are a Taylor GS8, Washburn D47, and a Martin GPCPA1. I researched a lot when I decided on this guitar. I was searching for an OM body style and my decision mainly came down to the string spacing - this guitar has a relatively wide 2 and 5/16" spacing at the bridge. If lost or stolen I would absolutely replace it. It's an essential part of my sound and collection. I love the way this guitar sounds, feels in my hands, and looks. Everything about it is simply wonderful. My favorite feature is the string spacing - it was the deal sealer. I compared it to a OM28 Marquis and I preferred the sitka over the adirondack. The marquis was great, but I'd maybe leave the adi tops for dreadnoughts. (A D28 Marquis is next on my list!) If your looking for a versatile OM guitar it's definitely worth your time to take a look at the OM28V. They just sing. // 10

More Martin reviews rating category latest review
+ OM-28E Retro 8.5 Acoustic Guitars 12/04/2013