ECW80C Review

manufacturer: Maton date: 10/02/2006 category: Acoustic Guitars
Maton: ECW80C
It features solid Queensland Maple back and sides, "AA" grade Spruce top, and of course the option of an AP5 pickup system. With a well balanced, full tone that improves with age, it offers the guitarist great value in an all solid wood guitar.
 7.3
 9.6
review (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
ECW80C Reviewed by: adom, on october 02, 2006

Features: This guitar is amazing! Matons are incredible instruments, I remember playing my friends, dads Maton when I was about 15 and I was blown away with how real and true the tone sounded. I have now owned the ECW80C Maton for 6-8 months and I get to enjoy the flawless tone that comes with the AA solid Sitka spruce top and solid Queensland maple back and sides. The fret board and bridge are rosewood and the neck is Queensland maple. // 10

Sound: I usually play mostly country sort of Folk music. Bright Eyes, Rilo Kiley, Jenny Lewis are mostly what I play but I also play more popular music and older music, even some classical. The ECW80C transcends genres with ease. You can get harmonics on almost every fret with ease, and the Elixir strings that Matons come with are amazing, a little expensive to replace but you will want to use them again. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The face is stained in Honeystain satin and the back and sides are Vintage amber satin. The pick guard is Tortoiseshell. The neck is slightly thicker than my other guitars but the Kyser capo fits nice and tightly. I'm 6 foot tall so my hands are big, I'm not sure if someone with smaller hands would have any trouble playing. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The Maton arrived in mint condition but 6 or so months later there is a slight shining of the finish where my arm continuously rubs while strumming. Obviously there are scratches on the pic guard from usual strumming. I have added one tiny dint on the side when my mother put it in the hard case on top of it's strap and closed the lid, I wasn't happy but I call it a beauty mark and I can deal with it. // 9

Overall Impression: I purchased the ECW80C but had it built with gold machine heads, and no pick up. I wanted the cutaway but I don't play on stage so I had no need for a pick up and if I ever want to play on stage I can just mic it. Also I love the timber so I didn't really want a massive bit of plastic sticking out of there. Oh and I even saved about $250 by not having the AP5 pickup. Maton will also print your name on the inside sticker. It's a truly professional guitar but it will make the bedroom guitarist just as happy. // 10

More Maton reviews rating category latest review
+ SRS70C 9.7 Acoustic Guitars 04/01/2014