EM100C Messiah Review

9.8
 9.6
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
EM100C Messiah Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 03, 2011

Features: This guitar was purchased new in 1998. The top is AAA Sitka Spruce, Back and Sides are Indian Rosewood, neck is Queensland Maple, Rosewood binding and the fretboard is Sri Lankan Ebony. It has large block MOP inlays on the fretboard. It has a soft cutaway and the MP5 pickup system. Gold Grover machineheads. // 10

Sound: After owning this guitar for 13 years, I thought it might be time to give an insight into how well these guitars age. I must say because I mainly play electric and have quite a few guitars, this one hasn't been played too much. Nonetheless the timber positively sings. The notes sustain very well and the balanced tone is just lovely. It's also quite a loud guitar. The highs are imaculate. Add a Kapo and you're singing with the birds. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: What can I say about Maton? When new the guitar had no flaws what'soever. Over the years it's had a couple of little dings one due to careless guitartechs, thanks Shire Music, I'm never coming back after you creased my top. The other one was my son when he was about 13. He's still alive but much more careful now. Factory setup was just a tad high for my delicate hands and I've let several techs have a go at it. Finally I took it Sydney Guitar setups who pout on a new nut & bridge, did the trussrod adjustment and put it through the plek machine. It's now an absolute joy to play, even with 12 to 54 strings. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's stood the test of time and is looking, sounding and playing better than ever. The only thing is that the gold on the tuners are slightly corroded. The finish is very durable and the strap buttons are strong. One point to note about the battery terminals is that some AA battery brands are different lengths and as such are too loose in the battery clip to make a proper connection. Duracell and Energiser are OK but Eveready Heavy Duty are too short. Go figure? // 9

Overall Impression: I play a broad range of styles from Blues to Sixties Pop to Country and Folk. This guitar can handle all these genres. It's a great guitar with rich even tones and deserves to be played more than it has. If it were stolen or damaged I would be heart broken and I would definitely buy another one. The new ones are cosmetically different with MOP snow flake fretboard inlays and a Messiah 12th fretmarker. However I like these changes. The pity would be that I'd have to wait another 13 years for it to mature. // 10

More Maton reviews rating category latest review
+ SRS70C 9.3 Acoustic Guitars 04/01/2014