EM225C Review

manufacturer: Maton date: 07/08/2011 category: Acoustic Guitars
Maton: EM225C
The 225 Series combines superior quality, playability and affordability.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.1
 Features: 9.6
 8.4
 7.8
reviews (7) 17 comments vote for this gear:
EM225C Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 05, 2004

Purchased from: Billy Hydes

Features: Solid Sitka Spruce Top, Queensland Maple back and sides. 22 frets, rosewood fingerboard, natural finish, Maton's AP4 active pickup. Custom made left hand model with cutaway. // 10

Sound: Great natural sound - wonderful resonance and tone when played either plugged or unplugged. Sounds fantastic through both my Marshall Valvestate and Behringer V-Amps - easy yet precise adjustment courtesy of the AP4 pickup means that a variety of styles can be played with ease. Not the greatest guitar to fiddle around too much with effects units on, but then, how many acoustic electrics are? Having said that, now I've played it for a few months, it probably would've been worth spending the extra couple of dollars and getting an AP5 pickup for that little bit of extra adjustment power. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Perfectly made guitar - wood quality, build quality, setup and finish are spot on. Top is beautifully matched to sides and back, and everything feels tighter than.. well, tight! Maton are famed for their attention to detail, and this guitar is no different. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Having had the guitar for three months, I'm yet to notice any problems. It feels strong and holds tune fantastically, has only needed to be tuned two or three times despite pretty regular play. I'd totally trust this guitar for an acoustic gig, but wouldn't want to make it my only choice for a band situation - it works well in tandem with my Fender Strat though. // 10

Overall Impression: I play primarily rock music, and this guitar has been a great fit for many of the songs I play. I love that it sounds like a much more expensive guitar (having played Taylors and Martins), and certainly has an equal, if not better, build quality as these marquee brands. If anything happened to this guitar, I'd definently go with Maton again, however possibly a TE or Messiah series for the added features. One of the few things that sucked about it was paying the extra cash for a lefty - I wish companies would start taking care of the lefty and not charging us extra! But that's a general complaint - not specific to this guitar. Overall, a really good guitar at a decent price. // 10

EM225C Reviewed by: tomatopot, on january 21, 2009

Features: Made in 2008, in Australia. Solid top, laminated back and sides. The AP4 (which is a peizo) pick up allows you to alter bass, treble and mids as well as volume. Has a satin finish - which I liked in particular. The tuning pegs are excellent: smooth to turn and holds tune excellently. And the guitar smells like beautiful wood, which is nice. Most of the features of this guitar can be found online and in the other reviews, so I won't waste time on it. // 10

Sound: This guitar sounds beautiful. Prior to buying this guitar I spent a lot of time playing a variety of different guitars, and Maton was definately up there. Compared to the Cole Clark, the Maton is warmer whilst still being bright. I found the Cole Clark to be too tinny. It's adequately loud when unplugged, but I have not had too much experience with it plugged in. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up perfectly. Every part of this guitar has been paid attention to, and it shows. Everything feels tight, solid and well crafted. The action is excellent - and feels like butter to play. I've yet to find a guitar that parallels it's feel. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've yet to gig with this guitar, but I feel confident in it's ability to withstand gigging. Like I said earlier, everything feels tight and well put together. And I doubt anyone that buys this guitar would end up testing it's durability - it's far too beautiful to even risk damaging. (I only take it out of it's case to play) // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for around 6 years, mostly rock music (ranging from pop to metal) and the Maton suits it all. It can shimmer in soft beauty and chug in hardcore glory. At the store I played the EM225C alongside the EM325C and several much more expensive guitars, and definately could not feel the $300-$2000 difference. The EM225C is great value, and beautiful. If you plan to gig often or play through an amp, a EM325C might be a good choice for the extra EQ capabilites (or a Cole Clark for the facebrace pick up). I would definately buy Maton again. // 10

EM225C Reviewed by: smokin_joe, on october 03, 2007

Purchased from: Guitar World

Features: The EM225C has a solid Sitka Spruce top, Queensland Maple back, sides, and neck, rosed wood finerboard and bridge, Grover tuners, an AP4 preamp with volume, tone, bass, and midrange (I think) and a cutaway. All M225 models have a satin natural finish. Comes with Elixir strings. // 10

Sound: This guitar is perfect fo my kind of music (Bluegrass, fingerstyle, e.g Tommy Emmanuel), it has the natural sound projection that I need as a fingerstylist, boosting the volume of my playing immensely. I run this guitar through my Marshall AS100D, then to my 70MF400B Marshall cabs when I play Live. It has no buzz, unless the volume is boosted too high, and sounds exactly like an unplugged acoustic. Unplugged, it is very loud, and open chords on this guitar can project loudly enough through a medium sized room. The spruce top gives it a very full tone, perfet for all kinds of music, from Folk to rock. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything was perfect to a T. The action is perfect, the tuners were rock solid, the saddle and nut were fit and glued perfectly, the finish was flawless, the Elixir strings were not rusted in the sightest, the preamp was fit right anything you can name about this guitar, it was perfect. Maton has lived up to its standard of perfection once again. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has withstood Live playing, and being dumped (in a case, of course) in the boot of my friends car after gigs. I would never use any guitar without a backup, but because this guitar is such good value, I use my Taylor as a backup. Even when I sit there playing chords all day, thie finish hasn't worn off. However, the binding on my friends EM225 (without the cutaway) has darkened when it has been in contact with his trouser, so near the lower curve. This hasn't happened to me, but I keep expecting it too. maybe it was a one-off finish fault. This guitar is a hardcore gig guitar, built like a brick shithouse. the strap buttons haven't looked like dropping a strap yet. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Folk, bluegrass, jazz, blues, and fingerstyle, and this guitar covers them all, no sweat. It is a very good all round guitar, able to play many different styles of guitar. I have been playing for 10 years now, and this is probably my favoured acoustic. I also own a Taylor 910, a PRS 513, a PRS Paul Allender Signature, a Gretsch White Falcon, and an Ibanez RG1520G, and my Maton is only topped by the White Falcon. If it were stolen, my insurance would cover it. If I lost it, I'd definitely buy another one. I love everything about this guitarm especially that it's Australian made. My favourite feature would be the satin finish, as unlike the gloss finishes, it doesnt't restrict resonance in the body. I wish it came with a hardcase automatically, instead of having to haggle it out of a salesperson, but that's not a big deal. I compared it with a OMC16WE (which I bought later on) and an Epiphone Masterbilt, and this was my favourite by far. It was perfect for my needs, and had the best pricetag over the other two. // 10

EM225C Reviewed by: slash4lyf, on october 18, 2007

Purchased from: kosmic

Features: My Maton EM225 is the most recent and was made in Australia. Has 21 frets on rosewood neck. It has solid top and feels beautiful. it has a natural finish whcih makes it look and feel more uniqie. It doesn't have a build in pickup which I think is good and makes it look like a proper acoustic. However if you want to play through and amp Dean Markley acoustic guitar pickups are only about AU$120, I bought one with it. // 10

Sound: I play a range of styles including classical, acoustic, rock and metal. Obviously I used my Maton to play acoustic stuff but I also use it to play a bit of soft and classical rock and sometimes a bit of classical which sounds cool, but metal would just abuse the guitar. I don't really use and amp with the guitar but I have used a Marshall AVT275 with it which has acoustic sim on it. It is quite a noisy guitar which has it's benefits, especially if I were to use it on stage. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is perfect, it's not to low and it's not to high. It's high enough to play a lot of rythm and chords but it's also low enough to use for solos. I haven't yet found anything wrong with this guitar, it's really value for your money. The only thing wrong with the finish of the guitar is that it scratches easy and because it's natural I wouldn't recommend putting any anti-scratch substances on it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar would definately withstand playing Live and I wouldn't doubt it. The hardware seems like it will last aslong as the guitar. I would recommend going to a gig without a backup as I think it's a strong reliable guitar. It doesnt't have finish so it's natural whcih looks and feels really good, only problem with taht is that it scratches easily. // 10

Overall Impression: It is a guitar which looks and sounds like it was made for anything. It came with a full 2year warranty so if something does go wrong it's backed up. If it was stolen I would definately buy the same guitar. As well as being a great sounding guitar it is also a very beautiful guitar. I compared this guitar with acoustic guitar there, and this was best overall for sound, quality and price. It was the best guitar in my range but the gibsons and taylors were better. I mainly compared it to a Yamaha and Seagull. The Yamaha was fairly ugly and the Seagull didn't sound as good as the Maton. There's nothing I wish it had, it has everything you could want in an acoustic (if you don't want inbuilt pickup). // 10

EM225C Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 21, 2010

Features: Mine was made in 2008 and purchased 'second hand' from Cash Converters. Clearly had never been played. Solid Sitka spruce top, queensland maple back and sides (QLD maple is a eucaplyt I think so gives a nice full sound). Standard configuration EM225C, except a custom antique sunburst paint (didn't like at first, but growing on me. Has the AP4 Pickup. // 9

Sound: Prefer to play mostly finger picking style, Tommy Emmanuel (though I don't pretend to play near that well) and traditional stuff. Seems to suit this very well with an amazing full rich sound that I often think sounds more like a piano than most guitars I have heard. Have had a bunch of more experienced players remark on the quality of the sound, with my most recent teacher, only knowing it was a maton, thinking it was one of the higher end Australian series guitars. Played a few other guitars and, apart from the Messiah, this seems to be their equals. Played a couple of lower end Martin's and Cole Clarks and the sounds was markedly better. I only play acoustically (plug in occasionally for the fun of it, but if I want plugged in, I play the electric), so can't comment about the pickup. The Cole Clark, though apparently great plugged in, just sounded really flat compared to this (despite being full solid). Great sound for the money. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Mine had been sitting in a case for awhile I think - supposedly and unwanted present. Needed to have the fret board adjusted and the action lowered (was really high, though not unplayable). Once this was done it stays in tune amazingly despite serious weather changes and rarely needs more than a minor tune-up even after I get back from two to three week trips away (too often, need to find a guitar I can take with). Great finish, which seems to be pretty robust, even though it seems quite thin. Like the matt finish as it doesn't show minor scratches that I have managed to keep to minimum anyway. Tuning machines are easy and fluid and seem to adjust without complaint. The standard Elixir strings are something I have stuck with and definitely rate highly. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Been playing it for about a year now, no issues besides the need for a truss rod adjustment and the change of action. Plug in once in a while for the fun of it and the pick-up works flawlessly. DOn't play agressively so won't comment on gig reliability, but appears very well built and robust compared to other guitars I have played (a couple of lower to mid-end Yamaha's - both of which were nice, but dead sounding comparatively). // 10

Overall Impression: For a 'entry-level but quality' guitar, I have found this to be excellent. I play it about 80% of the time, having pretty switched from electric, just sounds a lot sweeter to my ears. Have essentially adjusted the style of music I play, to be able to play this better. If someone stole it, or it got lost I would either replace or think about up-grading it to one of the higher end Maton's. For the money this really does seem to beat the rest. It is a custom version though, so might be a select guitar. I got it for the standard non-pickup, non-cutaway price, and can't complain as it was half the new price. Great Guitar! // 9

EM225C Reviewed by: AndyK88, on june 02, 2010

Price paid: A$ 1100

Purchased from: Turramurra Music Store

Features: The EM225C is a beautiful Guitar and the main selling point for me is that it is a hand made Guitar made from pure Australian maple woods. Queensland maple makes up the sides, back and neck of my guitar, with Solid Grade 'A' Sitka Spruce for the top. Everything came tight and in impeccable condition when I bought it. Just holding the Guitar you know you possess some impressive software. // 9

Sound: This guitar boasts sound, in fact of all the guitars I tested including Cole Clarks, Yamaha, Takamines and the Corts, the Maton could not encounter competition. It stands on its own. Many seem to be falling for the '100% solid wood' sell of the Cole Clark which is true, but when you play these two guitars side by side the difference in sound is blindly in the Maton's favour. The Cole Clark may well win in the plugged department, but for resonance and purity the EM225C is unmatched. This guitar is ALL sound, nothing gets in its 'earthy and resonate' sound. Its pure class. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action I felt was a little high, but it does make for a longer and deeper sound, whilst marginalising any chance for the nasty buzz sound that single-handedly ruins the music making experience! I've become accustomed to the action over time and so I have no complaints. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've only had the Maton for 4 weeks but she seems like a Sherman -rebuilt for military purposes. It could take a pounding or two I'd imagine. The only flaw in this guitar is the light Satin finish, which is more susceptible to scratching and wear. But if you believe Maton, they believe the lighter finish makes for a deeper and lasting sound, and I have to agree. The scratches that this Guitar attain over the years will add to the guitars character in any case, so no complaints. // 9

Overall Impression: I am a guitarist who is big on natural resonance and a beautiful tone. I play a mixture of fingerstyle/Jack Johnson guitar, and so far I've found this EM225C to be the perfect guitar for the style of music. Jack himself I believe uses a FL2AC which is a very nice guitar plugged, but unplugged I find is quite cheap and 'tangy' sounding. Jack does own Maton's, among other artists and so its clear that this is a guitar built for the business class of the guitar world. Pick yourself up a Maton EM225C, theres not much stopping you. // 10

EM225C Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 08, 2011

Price paid: A$ 1145

Purchased from: ProAudio

Features: I purchased a Maton EM225C including case on line in late May 2011. The guitar is Australian made. The guitar's build date is stamped 04/2011. It is a standard EM225C with satin finish. It is fitted with the standard AP4 under bridge pickup. The guitar comes with a guarantee by Maton that the instrument is free from defects in workmanship and material for two years. // 9

Sound: This is my third Maton and I purchased it for the purpose of recording and home playing. As I am a full time musician I play a variety of music. I find that the sound quality of the Maton EM225C to be gutsy full sound with clean brilliance. It's the sound that I want for recording accoustic backings. At this stage I haven't played the guitar through an amp because of other factors with the guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish on the body of the guitar is perfect as I can see. However the neck is finished very poorly. The action is a touch high but that's not a problem. The fret ends are so sharp that they take pieces of skin off my fingers. I can not slide my fingers along the top E string without stopping against the sharp edges. Upon close inspection it appears that the fret ends, both top and bottom along the length of the neck have had a botched job. The neck also appears to be missing some coats of vanish on the sides when I compare it to my other Matons. // 2

Reliability & Durability: As I have only had the guitar for a number of weeks it would be unfair to make a comment about the reliability and durability of the guitar. With the neck/frets in the condition they are I would not be able to use the guitar on a live show as I don't think I would not have any skin left on my fingers. It's a shame that Maton's quality control in this case has let them down badly. I expected a lot better. // 5

Overall Impression: I have been playing guitar for over thirty five years. Later part of my life I have been full. Because of the number of years I have been playing I have a collection about 20 guitars. Mostly electric. Fenders, Gibsons, 3 Matons. My advice for anyone thinking of buying an Maton guitar online. Have a big think about it because now Maton want me to send my guitar back to them, at my cost for something that they missed in the factory. If I ever but another Maton I will be inspecting it first because Maton's quality control and customer service lets then down very badly. I have found this out by my own experience. It's a pity that if Maton are so sure of their product being without defects, why do they ask their customers to pay to have the instrument sent back to them when the instrument has been sent out of the factory with defects. Again, bad customer service. // 2

More Maton reviews rating category latest review
+ SRS70C 9.3 Acoustic Guitars 04/01/2014