M225 Review

manufacturer: Maton date: 03/29/2011 category: Acoustic Guitars
Maton: M225
If you are looking at getting an entry level high end acoustic this is your best bet simply because of the extra care put into these guitars.
 8.8
 9.4
 8.2
review (1) pictures (1) 8 comments vote for this gear:
M225 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 29, 2011

Price paid: A$ 900

Purchased from: Derringers

Features: This guitar is an entry level Maton guitar so the features are pretty basic. There are cut-in and electric models availible for a few hundred dollars more. Solid spruce top that is great quality, satin finish and rosewood neck with dotted inlay. As mentioned before there is no cut away or pickups for this model but it is entry level. Maton are now coming with Maton brand hardcases. They look amazing and can handle a bashing if you are clumsy like me. The most important feature of this guitar is that it is Australian made and the body is made with Queensland maple. // 9

Sound: I use this guitar mostly for song writing and a bit of Folk here and there. I write post-hardcore/ progressive rock music similar to Dance Gavin Dance, Fall Of Troy, Closure In Moscow, etc. This guitar is great for writing anything. The low end sounds amazing for an acousitc. When you tune it down to drop D those power chords feel really rich and full. The high end sounds are also bright and quite colourful making the guitar very dinamic in terms of what sounds you can get out of it. Open chords sound amazing, there is a great resonance when you strum that I haven't felt on any Acoustic in this price range. My only problem is not having cut away so it's hard to write high end lead riffs so next time I would get a cut away model. This is the best Acoustic you can get within this price range, at least in Australia. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Maton are known for the time and care they put into their guitars and this is no exception. I got it in the case and the set up was great. After tuning it I could start playing instantly. The action feels like butter when your playing but there is no annoying rattles on the fret board. Overall very good finish with an obvious attention to detail. One of the best parts of this guitar was when I first opened it I could still smell the wood as though it was freshly carved out of an Queensland tree that morning. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had this guitar for very long but it feels really sturdy. I have already knocked it around a few times because my music room is quite small and it doesn't lose tuning or get marked. I wouldn't gig with this because it isn't electric Acoustic but I would easily take it on a tour/ road trip no doubt about it. // 9

Overall Impression: As mentioned before I mostly use this guitar for writing and a bit of Dallas Green style music here and there. I feel confident that this guitar could cover any acousitc needs. If it was lost of stolen I would probably get the M225C which is the same guitar but cut away and electric. If you are looking at getting an entry level high end Acoustic this is your best bet simply because of the extra care put into these guitars. You will fall in love and won't regret buying a Maton M225. // 10

More Maton reviews rating category latest review
+ SRS70C 9.7 Acoustic Guitars 04/01/2014