MD100S12 Review

manufacturer: Mitchell date: 12/07/2011 category: Acoustic Guitars
Mitchell: MD100S12
This is a full-sized 12-string dreadnought guitar with a solid spruce top and mahogany back and sides. This quality built guitar has all the traditional elements you would expect to find in instruments costing much more. Abalone rosette and purfling accents highlight this beauty. With plenty of volume and low-end tone, you can expect years of playing pleasure with the orchestral power of this 12-stringed guitar.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.8
 7.4
reviews (4) pictures (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
MD100S12 Reviewed by: Kurt1964, on april 24, 2009

Purchased from: Guitar Center, Tonawanda New York

Features: Well the Mitchell MD 100S 12, that I own was designed and engineered, in California(though I'm not sure where it was actually constructed), in 2007. It's neck is made up of Mahogany, and features "Mother of Pearl" dot inlay fret markers, on a 20 fret Rosewood fingerboard. Capping off the neck, is a beautifully designed headstock proudly boasting the Mitchell name in gold lettering. Accompaning this headstock are six pairs of chrome plated non-locking generic tuners. The body is of the Dreadnaught styling with a solid Spruce top, while the sides and back are made of Mahogany. On it's top is a black plastic pick guard, a Rosewood bridge with black bridge pins. A compensated saddle. And an Abalone Rosette with black and white purfling accents. The finish is natural, with a thin coating af acrylic. The guitar came with NO extras. // 10

Sound: The style of music that I enjoy playing is mostly classic rock and Folk music, ie, George Harrison, Gordon Lightfoot etc. Normally a 12 string guitar is great for this type of music genre, though I'm not so sure this particular guitar is the right one for the job. It's sound is bright, very bright! Practically no bottom at all! And after several months of playing, it developed a horrible "buzz" to it. I went ahead and changed the strings several times(with various brands) hoping to eliminate this "buzz", and to achieve a fuller bass resinance to it, but to no avail. "Disapointing", would be the word here. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up of this Mitchell MD 100S, was average. The frets were seated properly and the neck needed no adjustment. Other than tuning the strings, the strap button did in fact, need to be tightened down. The acrylic finish has a couple flaws in it, a few drips, and a couple of air bubbles in it. But for $200.00, what do you want? // 5

Reliability & Durability: Will this guitar withstand Live playing? Probably. But it's sound quality is so poor, I don't take it out very often. It's hardware is well suited for this guitar though. The tuners are great, it holds it's tune very well, even after a couple of hours of playing. However if I were out playing Live, I would use this one as the "back-up". // 8

Overall Impression: If the sound quality was better, this Mitchell would be a good match for the style of music I play. I've been playing for several years now, and I bought this guitar because I was taken by it's cheap price. I should have known better. I did cheque out other 12 strings... Fender, Epiphone etc., but once again, the cheap price did me in. And honestly, if this guitar were ever "lost or stolin"? I really wouldn't care. However I would be bummed about being out $200. Would I ever buy this guitar again? Not likely. The bottom line is this... You Get What You Pay For! // 6

MD100S12 Reviewed by: Ff7cetra, on november 26, 2007

Features: It's really just your bare-bones dreadnought acoustic guitar. Made in Indonesia it has 21 jumbo frets along a rose-wood fret board and a nice clear finish that highlights the spruce top. It doesn't have any pickups but it's loud enough to not need them as long as you're not playing for too big of a crowd. For a basic guitar though it's not half bad. Definitely better than and Fender twelve strings I've played for the same price. // 6

Sound: I play mostly Irish folk and punk rock, and this guitar suits the first one quite well. It has a nice vibrant tone that's perfect for the rhythm part in most folk songs. It's sound can be a little too bright (even for a twelve string)if you're not careful though. One thing I have noticed about this guitar is that you can play loudly without affecting the tone quality too much which compensates for its lack of pickups. Definitely not a guitar for mellow songs though. Its tone is way too bright for that. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: For the price I paid this guitar can't be beat. As I've already mentions it blows away any competitors in it's price range. I can find nothing awry with it's setup. In essence this guitar is simplicity itself. It has the bare basics and as far as I can tell the folks at Mitchell did a fine job setting it up. however the neck has taken on the "slightest" bend after months and months of playing. Still for the price it's not bad. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have played it at several parties and bonfires and it's held up quite well. I would feel comfortable playing it Live at a gig as part of an ensemble but as I said any gig too large would require an amp plug-in to be heard. All the hardware seems pretty solid. It's been a lot of places with me and has endured quite a few dings and I've even dropped it a few times. So far however it hasn't taken any major damage so I'd rate it fairly well as far as durability. It will stay in tune for weeks once I tune it and I've so far had no problems with the bridge or the tuners. I would definitely take it to a gig without a backup instrument. // 8

Overall Impression: As far as my Irish folk goes I'm quite content. It has just the right amount of edge to the sound to suit the music style and it's brightness can be controlled once you learn how to handle it. I would certainly buy it again. If it was stolen and I didn't have the cash for a more high end brand. Very simple and very well done. Good job Mitchell. // 7

MD100S12 Reviewed by: greenman999, on march 17, 2009

Features: The guitar was crafted in China. 20 Jumbo frets, not sure of what wood it is, it never came with any paperwork or anything, but it has a string thru bridge style and generic locking tuners. Easily tunes without nut-snag or pinching. It holds it's tune for a decent amount of time, I can play 5 songs (3 capo/1 open/1 with heavy bending) and not be a fraction out of tune! // 8

Sound: Yes, (I play mostly everything) the variation of the same model is very drastic, I bought two and they sound completely different, but nice sounding. But has a deep solid tone with decent sustain. I play mostly everything and it holds up to it all I cannot rave how much I enjoy playing this guitar and have no issues leaving the Gibson or Taylor in their cases it was designed in California and they know good sound quality (if you're a Fender fan). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Very nice action out of the box. The guitar was and still is in amazing condition. The finish looks a little cheap upon severly close inspection (I.e. Extra "ivory" on the trim, and such) The nut is solid along with all of the fret wires, the neck may take a little getting used to but once you fit your hand to it, it feels like an old baseball glove, just perfectly worn in and wrapped for you. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar was bought as a studio songwriting version of a Gibson acoustic. And has appeared on stage and blew my mind that it worked so well! The strap stays secure through a Live set without any worries. I don't need a backup when using this guitar, I've had it almost a year without a single potential issue. The bridge, nut and hardware are 100% solid. I think I will be strumming this guitar for years. // 10

Overall Impression: I own a total of 9 guitars, in my acoustic section this is one of my favorites! If Guitar Center runs another sale like that, I will buy many many more, they are very underpriced (usually 250) and sound better than most fenders and yamahas I have played. This guitar honestly is more bang than you'd imagine, the only thing I changed about it was I added a wireless acousitc pickup, and new strings (the factory ones are just the same as any factory acoustic strings). // 9

MD100S12 Reviewed by: Jim.bowers, on december 07, 2011

Features: I bought this on sale during cyber Monday and got a great deal on it. It has a solid spruce top and rosewood sides and neck. The finish is excellent but could be a little better where the neck meets the body. All in all, not bad for the price I paid though. // 7

Sound: The sound is big and does not need an amplifier. It is not as mellow as I had hoped, but still sounds and plays well. So far no buzzing but maybe because it is still rather new and not played a lot yet. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought it the frets seemed to be at different heights and they were rough cut and sharp on the ends. The set from the factory was crappy and the neck was't straight but once I had it set up by a professional, it is like it is a different guitar. It is easy to fret now and the action is smooth. I had the fret ends filed smooth and no more sharp ends. Definitely need to consider getting this set up after purchase. It made a world of difference in playability and sound. // 5

Reliability & Durability: It remains to be seen if it will last, but with regular cleaning and maintenance I expect it will be just fine. I did replace the factory strings right away with new D'Addario phosphorous bronze strings and now it sounds as good as it looks. // 9

Overall Impression: I always wanted to own and play a 12 string so this was a good entrance without spending a wad of cash to find out if I enjoyed playing one. I play classic rock, Cat Stevens, Pink Floyd, Neil Young, etc and it does them justice when playing. It sounds as good as 12 strings I tried costing much more and I am extremely happy with it. If I lost it I would probably buy a little more expensive one that has a more mellower tone now that I know it is so easy to play a 12 string. // 8

Comments