MGA-310CES Review

manufacturer: Monterey date: 07/08/2008 category: Acoustic Guitars
Solid Top Acoustic/ Electric with soft cutaway. Includes Shadow LC3EQ Active Pickup System, Solid Spruce top, Mahogany back and sides, diecast chromed machineheads, Rosewood fretboard and bridge, natural fret bridge.
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
MGA-310CES Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 08, 2008

Price paid: A$ 225

Purchased from: Flower Press Music

Features: 2008 made in china Monterey rock 'n roll series acoustic, solid spruce top, nice matt finish. It's kinda a jumbo style body, but something about it seems different, I think it's got tighter curves. It's got no cutaway or electronics, but as far as all the essentials go, it's all there. I walked out of the store with it in a cardboard box, so no accessories. Bitch tuners but once they are there they don't move a whole lot. // 5

Sound: I play mainly rock 'n roll, think The Angels, Cold Chisel, early AC/DC, Black Crowes that sorta stuff, branching out to glam rock and metal, so Aerosmith, Motley Crue, no Whitesnake. I usually play electric but I do a fair bit of street performing, it does everything I need it to, great solid bassey sound, complemented with nice smooth sounding upper octave stuff, sounds good everywhere. Pretty piss weak harmonics but, even for an acoustic, but seriously, how often do you need extreme naturals on an acoustic (she talks to angels, that's about it, for me anyway). Nice and defined midrange as well, I like it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Fantastic to play, best part of his guitar, beautiful neck, finish is pretty ordinary, I mean it's solid, but looks kinda cheap. It doesn't fight me as much as other acoustics I've had in terms of bending notes. nice lowish action, not too low, just right, nice properly finished frets. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Wouldn't play it Live, purely because it's just easier to use an electric through an acoustic simulater, I've done little cafe' gigs with it, and my regular busking, but anything that required amping up I just wouldn't bother. Good strap buttons, it's hold together well, I have no case for it and it gets chucked in the back of the car and bashed around a bit, but the finish is holding up ok // 7

Overall Impression: Does what I do well, sounds good, plays well, cheap, solid. My main guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul Classic plus, which is an awesome rock n' roll guitar, it runs through a Marshall guv'nor plus and the through a Zoom G1X (plastic shit) for some chorus sometimes, that's about it, it all ends up going through an old valve stereo (loud as hell) then mic into the p/a. I brought it because it was local and cheap, turned out better than I though it would, I'd buy it again, better if I had a pickup, but that not hard to fix. // 8

More Monterey reviews rating category latest review
+ MGS-1 2.4 Electric Guitars 10/11/2011