B20 Review

manufacturer: Norman date: 02/02/2009 category: Acoustic Guitars
Norman: B20
The three-layer laminate of cherry wood used in the back and sides of the B20 produces a tone that sounds warmer than maple but brighter than a mahogany guitar. The B20?s tone works beautifully for recording and blends nicely when amplified on stage.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.5
 Features: 7.5
 7.9
reviews (2) 5 comments vote for this gear:
B20 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 02, 2009

Price paid: C$ 350

Purchased from: lauozon

Features: The Guitar was made in Quebec like all of the others. I picked up the traditional dreadnaught style without a pick guard. It seemed to sound the best in the store. The guitar is a solid top and has a finish that is designed to let the wood breath. No electronics or pickups. Just a campfire machine. // 7

Sound: Since I play a lot of basic songs with a little bit of finger picking, it seems to suit my style quite well. It sounds very good for the price I had paid for it. I would have liked to get one with a pre amp and pickup installed already, but for the amount of times any of my guitars are played through an amp, it wasn't worth it to me. Sounds great though. Remarkable volume and sounds great even low on the fret board. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar hasn't been set up yet. The action is a little high right from the factory, but nothing too extreme. Norman uses a breathable finish to allow the wood to breath in order to provide a better quality sound. The thing sounds great, but looks relatively plain. The one that I had picked up does not have any gloss finish to it at all. It looks quite nice with a real nice dark wood grain on the sides and a really light top to it. Norman only uses really old wood so you get a lot of the grains visable. My only complaint is that the wood that they used seems to have little imperfections to it. It almost looks like the piece of wood that they used had worms at one point, and they weren't able to sand the piece completely to get the imperfections out. Oh well, it's hardly noticeable but it's something that I really notice. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It stays in tune, sounds good everything is tight. Once I get it set up and put a bone bridge and nut, it'll be perfect. All of the hardware seems to be very solid. It stays in tune for quite a while. It's pretty dependable, and there isn't much to go wrong with this thing. // 9

Overall Impression: I am very happy with the purchase. This guitar is awesome. Sounds great and it's an awesome price. I was thinking of getting the HG (high gloss) version of the B20 but the traditional sounded so much better. I'd recomend it for someone Who want's an awesome sounding guitar and Who doesn't want to break the bank. // 8

B20 Reviewed by: ianmichaelwong, on may 30, 2005

Features: The B20 is the foundation of all the Norman guitars. The solid spruce top and lacquer finish alone distinguish this guitar. The three-layer laminate of cherry wood used in the back and sides of the B20 produces a tone that sounds warmer than maple but brighter than a mahogany guitar. The B20's tone works beautifully for recording and blends nicely when amplified on stage. // 8

Sound: Was going to buy the B20 HG but couldn't get over how much better this non-gloss finish sounded. I have to admit that the Cedar B18 guitars have a more complete/full sound but from experience spruce just somehow always managers to age beautifully. The B20 offers a very crisp, bright sound however the bass sound shatters slightly when pounding rock song. Finger pickers on a budget will love this guitar. Initially I did not want a guitar with pickups but I bought this one because it had a beautiful flamed neck. The Fishman Classic 4 pickups are low end, and man do they look cheap yet I was trilled when I plugged it in, it sound fantastic. This guitar can measure up to guitars 3 times its price and I am really happy with it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I had to adjust the trusrod slightly and there a minor imperfections but besides that am very happy with the overall workmanship. Just remember that it only cost $500 with pickups so dont go comparing it to breedloves or martins. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a variety of music on this instrument, but if you are into country this a great guitar to own. I have been playing for more than 10 years now. When I was shopping for this guitar I played a variety of guitar at all prices. But after you play $7000 Taylor everything in your budget sounds like crap. So finding the Normans was a joy. // 8

More Norman reviews rating category latest review
+ B18 7.2 Acoustic Guitars 08/05/2008