ST40 Review

manufacturer: Norman date: 04/05/2004 category: Acoustic Guitars
Norman: ST40
The unique mahogany-cherry-mahogany lamination used in the back and sides of the ST40 combines with a solid cedar top to produce a beautifully mellow sounding instrument. This sweet sounding guitar is at its best when used in more intimate musical settings.
 9.2
 8.8
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
ST40 Reviewed by: 07Hoobastank07, on april 05, 2004

Features: This is a great guitar.....but I'd probably say that about any Norman instrument. For the money these are phenomenal guitars. The ST 40 is a 2003 made guitar, made in Princeville, Quebec, Canada. It's made by the Godin guitar company. It is a solid top guitar with 21 frets and excellent playabilty. The guitar is made of mohogany-cedar combinations with a nice finish and a lasting visual effect. It has a normal ivory acoustic bridge and has well crafted tuners. I have had no problems with this guitar. // 10

Sound: It suits my rock acoustic and classic rock style and I like it very much. It sounds great playing rock acoustic riffs and also has a rich loud sound if playing power chords. It has a full sound with no problems and I have been complimented on the sound of my guitar. It has a slight metallic ring in the top two strings which is barely noticeable to a trained ear let alone an untrained one. My only dislike is the metallic ring, But it doesn't bother me that much. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up extremely well. I've had it since christmas 2003 and haven't had a problem. The strings had the right action on them and there were no warps or imperfections in the wood. The strings sit fine on the bridge. No problems here. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has been reliable and it would withstand live playing. There have been no problems so far with the ST40. The tuners and hardware are of good quality and probably won't break. This guitar is no laminated but still has the duribility to last against agressive picking. The strap buttons are solid. The guitar is well crafted and I can rely on it. I'm not sure if I'd use it for a gig... I'd probably veture towards and electric acoustic because of the volume. // 8

Overall Impression: I play rock/punk/classic/metal stylings of music and the ST40 suits them all and its sounds great when I play it. I've been playing for 5 years and hopefully this guitar is with me far into the future. If the guitar was stolen or lost I would probably buy another just like it or better..(the Normans are almost the same as Simon&Patrick guitars and ARt Luthrie and they are made in the same part of Quebec Canada) So I would maybe buy one of those aswell. I compared this to the Norman B20 laminated and a cheap Hohner that I had laying around. Great guitar no problems...play before you buy..your opinion might not be the same as mine. // 10

More Norman reviews rating category latest review
+ B20 8 Acoustic Guitars 02/02/2009