1778LX Elite Review

8.1
reviews (2) 4 comments vote for this gear:
1778LX Elite Reviewed by: RegularJohn, on april 28, 2006

Purchased from: Topsound

Features: Made in USA. It has a mid-depth semi-parabolic bowl, made of Lyrachord (a mix of composite materials), AA-grade solid Sitka spruce top, scalloped LX bracing, hand-inlaid epaulets and gold tuners. The neck is made of mahogany/maple and it has an ebony fingerboard. The guitar is equipped with an original patented pickup and an OP-PRO preamp w/chromatic tuner. My guitar has a black cherryburst finish which looks absolutely beautiful. Specially designed hard case was included. // 10

Sound: Unplugged, the sound is loud, bright and well-balanced with a great projetion. Some people may think it lacks some warmth, but that's just how these Ovation-guitars should sound. Suits for fingerpicking as well as strumming chords. Plugged in, the sound is amazing! One of the best electro-acoustic sounds available in my opinion. The OP-PRO preamp offers a lot of versatility to the sound and it can instantly move from mellow tones to rawer tones. I normally play it unplugged, but when plugged-in, I usually play it through Vox AD60VT combo. Sometimes I use the built-in effects (mostly chorus and reverb) of the AD60VT and it sounds very nice with them. You can even try to add some distortion to the sound. The result can be pretty interesting. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The neck is very comfortable which is one of the reasons I bought this guitar. The finish on the top is very shiny and beautiful and the epaulets offer a nice addition to the looks of this guitar. The only flaw that I can find is that the preamp seems to be a bit loose and often when I push or turn the controls I can hear an odd creaking sound. To be more precise it's actually the case of the preamp which is loose. Fortunately it doesn't hinder the use of the preamp and the case doesn't seem to be coming off so I should have nothing to worry about. I haven't seen this happening on any other Ovation guitar so I'm pretty sure that my guitar has just had a hit in the guitar shop or something. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played live with it, but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't withstand live playing. The strap buttons seem to be very solid. All the hardware seems to be very sturdy too and the tuners are great. I can go weeks without tuning it. Although, when I have to tune it, its great built-in tuner really helps. I just hope that preamp casing won't come off. // 9

Overall Impression: I just love everything about this guitar, the sound, the looks and the easy playabilty. I have tried all kinds of styles with this guitar and it has covered them all very well. I have been playing guitar about two and a half years and owned one acoustic before this, but it can't be even compared to this. I also own two electric guitars. If this guitar was stolen I would chase down the thief and get my guitar back, but also congratulate HIM for the great choice when choosing exactly this guitar model. This guitar has the looks and the sound and it offers all this for a fair price (at least in USA). But of course I must advise you to try one for yourself, because these guitars have a quite distinctive sound, which may not please everyone. // 10

1778LX Elite Reviewed by: Nike-Man, on february 01, 2008

Features: My axe of love was a 2007, made in the USA. AA spruce top. Exotic woods surrounding resonating chamber holes, gold hardware, natural finish, mother of pearl inlays, mojo, op pro preamp, built in tuner, and came with a case. The preamp has gain lows highs and mids. There is also a preset shape button that needs to be on in my opinion. // 10

Sound: I play jazz, funk, acoustic, and two hand tapping stuff, and it all sounds great. You have enough control to have high highs or low lows. No matter what your preference it's good. Fully acoustic with a set of Brand New Martin marquis and it sounds scrumdiddliumshes. I also do a lot of slap, and it has a great punch. You need to have the shape on though. If you go raw it doesn't sound good. Just in case you don't know, the shape that I am speaking of is built in so no worries. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was horribly set up. Normally all of the crappy ovations in the stores had great action, but this one I ordered so the Ovation reps that go to the stores for maintenance never got there hands on it. The finish is very thick. There was also a bad neck set at the heel, and burrs on the bridge. As far as the bad neck set, it is covered by the warranty, but I need to pay to ship it back to them which is bull mother fuc*ing sh*t cr*p whore! The bad neck set caused the strings to hit the bridge, and I can't get the action below about 3 to 4 mm at the twelfth fret on the Low E string and I want 2mm. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I play out with this guitar all the time, and it never messed up, but it is still a baby. The burrs on the bridge cause it to pop D strings left and right. I don't know if this is a common problem, but it wouldn't surprise me because the bridges have a triangle shape and seem a little too sharp, but I could be wrong. // 7

Overall Impression: I play funk, acoustic, reggae, psychedelia, Indie, blues, jazz, and it kick ass for all of it. I have been playin for 7 years. If it was lost or stolen I would probably either get another one or a really good Martin because I got a little more money now. I love how beautiful it is, and how crisp it sounds. I hate the customers service and the 3 1/2mm action, but that is better than a Taylor or a Martin. I wish it had a hawaii water fountain on it. // 9

More Ovation reviews rating category latest review
+ CC24-4 Celebrity 8.4 Acoustic Guitars 03/21/2014