Applause AE128 Review

manufacturer: Ovation date: 11/03/2013 category: Acoustic Guitars
Ovation: Applause AE128
This guitar has an amazing sound, it projects like crazy since it has the Ovation bowl on the back. I would definitely recommend this guitar.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
reviews (2) pictures (5) 9 comments vote for this gear:
Applause AE128 Reviewed by: sake13211, on november 23, 2011

Price paid: C$ 298

Purchased from: ebay

Features: I would just like to start off by saying I love this guitar. I don't know when it was made but I bought it new not to long ago. It was made in China. It has 20 frets with a scale length of 25 1/4 inch and a spruce top. It is a cutaway with a super shallow bowl which gives it a similar feel to an electric. Mine has a beautiful Ruby Red finish. This guitar IS an acoustic/electric guitar, the preamp has a gain nob and a 3 controls for bass/mid/treble. // 10

Sound: This guitar has an amazing sound, it projects like crazy since it has the Ovation bowl on the back. Whether its country or some acoustic Nirvana, or hell plug it in and crank the gain up full and you can have a little rock sound to it, which I was really surprised with. The guitar I would say has a pretty full sound and can get your lows and highs pretty well. And for the price, you really can't go wrong. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up was nearly perfect. I haven't changed a single thing on my guitar yet, the low action is perfect for me. The only thing I would change is the strings because they feel kind of cheap to me. But that's my opinion, other people have tried it and like the strings. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I believe this guitar will definitely last the test of time, all Ovation made products probably will, my grandfather has one from 79 in near perfect condition and he's been playing shows for ever. I would say if there would be something that would have to be changed throughout time it would maybe be the preamp, it just doesn't seem it would last for ever. The strap buttons are completely solid, but I would suggest inventing in a hard case just to be on the safe side. They have an extremely lightweight hard case that is made to have the appearance and pouches of a soft case. It is the 8317-0 Foam Core Case. The finish does not seem like it would wear off at all. It seems like a pretty solid color and isn't thin. // 10

Overall Impression: Most of the time I play soft rock up to heavy metal, obviously I'm not gonna be using this to play metal or anything, but any acoustic song I would definitely recommend this guitar. I've been playing guitar and bass for almost 5 years now and I have never come across a guitar as good as this one, I even like the sound of it better than other Ovation guitars. If it were to be stolen or lost I would definitely buy another one. I love everything about this guitar. The only thing I wish I had was That hardcase. The 8317-0 Foam Core Case. // 10

Applause AE128 Reviewed by: Darius1079, on november 03, 2013

Features: I do not really know how long it's been around because it was a hand-me-down from my father. I do know that it's from Korea. It has a spruce top, rosewood 25-1/4" fingerboard with 20 frets and the signature Ovation Roundback design with a useful cutaway to access the higher frets. Mine has a sunburst finish and chrome tuners. It also has an in-built pickup system with treble, bass, and gain controls making it great for gigging and recording. All in all, considering the affordable price, it has pretty good specs. // 9

Sound: In terms of sound projection, it is amazing due to the roundback design. So it's great for strumming around a campfire. It produces a slightly mellow tone but that can be fixed with a change of strings and bringing the treble up. Sounds really good with simple chord strumming though I wish that it would sound more crisp when fingerpicking. I play it through my electric practice amp and it still has a really clean sound. But if you're a beginner and you strum a simple D chord on this guitar, it'll sound great. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Because it was a hand-me-down, I really do not know anything about the factory set-up. However the tuning seems to be really good and stays in tune even after I leave it for a week in an air-conditioned room. The finish also looks really nice. Mine's in sunburst though I've read of many other colour choices. The bridge is really simple but really good, guitar is kept in tune. You don't need to configure the pickups; they are hidden smartly in the body of the guitar. However the "guard" the encircles the sound hole comes off a bit too easily but you can probably glue it back. // 7

Reliability & Durability: But because it is a hand-me-down, I can say that this guitar is really durable. The only "injuries" I see is a few dents here and there and the strap buttons falling off, but that is my own doing. I fixed the strap button issue by putting some fillers and screwing it back in and it's good as new! I love to gig with it and I never use a backup (because I have no other guitars). The finish seems solid and doesn't seem like it will wear off for a while. The preamp system still works after some time and I don't expect it to stop anytime soon. // 9

Overall Impression: For strumming, this guitar does the job and if you're looking for mellow tone, this guitar's for you. The only thing I wish it had was a pickguard. But overall, this guitar is a great choice if you're on a low budget but looking for great specs. I think compared to other acoustic brands, this guitar is really cheap. An acoustic-electric of any other brand would usually cost two times of this .It performs equally well on stage as it does in the bedroom and I would recommend this guitar to anyone who is looking for an acoustic. // 9

More Ovation reviews rating category latest review
+ CC24-4 Celebrity 8.4 Acoustic Guitars 03/21/2014