Applause AE28 Review

manufacturer: Ovation date: 02/12/2007 category: Acoustic Guitars
Ovation: Applause AE28
Designed for superb sound quality and easy playability, the affordable AE28 acoustic-electric guitar features the famous super-shallow roundback body, calibrated Spruce top, slim neck for fast and effortless action, built-in pickup/electronics system, and cutaway neck access.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.3
 Features: 9.3
 8.5
 7.9
reviews (3) 18 comments vote for this gear:
Applause AE28 Reviewed by: guitaristclass, on february 24, 2006

Purchased from: eBay

Features: The guitar has 20 frets with dots at 3, 5, 7, 9, 12 (double), 15 and 17. The frets are medium and the fretboard is made from rosewood (very nice on this example). The top of the guitar is made from spruce (I think) and the trademark bowl back is made from Lyrachord, which provides its unique sound. The neck itself is made from mahogany, as is the bridge. It is equipped with Ovation tuners (that run very smoothly) and also has a strap pint on the bottom of the body and the top of the topside. The preamp is simple and has only a tone and a 'gain' (it's really a volume slide) and it plugs into the amp by means of a jack plug on the bottom right of the guitars back (not through the strap point). // 9

Sound: This guitar offers an excellent sound for the price payed, and still would be at retail. It responds well in all tones, and is good for playing anything from light finger picking to hard chord strumming. I am not using it trough an amp at the moment, but when I do it sounds great, with and without my effects pedal. It is easy to get harmonics and simple sounds from the guitar, as well as more complicated appagios and such. The sound can be used for easylistening etc. to acoustic rock and even more heavy stuff like Rage Against The Machine, sounding very similar to electric guitars in some cases. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was perfect when I got it, it was bought second hand though, so I can't really comment on how the factory set it up. I bought it at a mojor discount because of some cosmetic flaws from giging, but everything else was stop on. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can be used at home on the stage and even in the middle of a field (if that's what you want). The hardware has lasted me for several years and obviously many more becuase of the previous owner. It's a very solidly built guitar and would esily stand uo to giging and I would deffinitly use ot as my only acoustic guitar at a gig. The finsih has not deteriorated scince I bought it and it only seems to deteriorate from serious hits. // 8

Overall Impression: It's very nice, the colouring is superb and the sound suits it well. I fit were stolen or lost then I would probably get a higher model, but only because I have a job now. // 10

Applause AE28 Reviewed by: _futurerockstar, on april 04, 2006

Features: My own version of the Ovation Applause AE28 was made in Korea and has 21 frets, althought the last fret cant be played, so 20. The fretboard is rosewood and the top is spruce. Also the neck is made from mahogany. It has a cutaway so you can access the higher frets and has a Kaman preamp with tone and gain controls. It has the unique Ovation tuners and at the top there is the Ovation Applause logo, which gives you room to stick your capo on the top when youre not using it! The part I like about it is the position of the plug for the lead, it is on the back of the guitar, not at the bottom like on any ordinary guitar. Also it has a roundback unlike most acoustics, and is easy to play whether standing or sitting! // 10

Sound: For the price I got this guitar, the sound is awesome. The sound that comes from it is amazing whether you have the tone high or low, and I use my own Philipson PX15 amp which works well with the guitar. The thing I like is that if it is put into my amp in the high input jack, it becomes fun to mess around with the controls, like getting heavy distorted bass notes or clean rich notes. There is a lot of variety, especially with the amplifier I am using at the moment, and you can get various sounds from just two controls on the preamp. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The internation is perfect as the previous owner had this guitar professionally set up for him before selling it to me, so it's great for me! There were no flaws when I purchased it, only that the 6th string buzzes occasionally if I strike it too hard, but thats just my poor guitar playing! Condition wise, it is perfect apart from a scuff at the top, which is barely visible. // 8

Reliability & Durability: There is no doubt this guitar sounds awesome whether I play it without an amp in my room, or live with an amp. It has reliable features, and the strings don't seem like they will wear out (like my previous strings on my electric). The strap buttons are firmly rooted on, so there is no chance of dropping this while standing up. I would do a gig with this without a back up as I can trust it for what it is, and theres no reason not too because everything is perfect. It won't wear out with playing and will last me a good number of years. // 10

Overall Impression: I play lots of rock music, but wanted to do so on an electro-acoustic for a change, and not going full out on an electric. This works for me very well. I have taught myself for the past year and a bit, and I own a Vintage Les Paul, an Encore Stratocaster and a Yamaha RBX170, and this is the best guitar for the lot. I asked if it had any blemishes before buying, and did not so I went for it. I love the sound mainly and its simple and basic, not confusing. My favourite feature is the roundback making it easy to play, however the decoration around the soundhole is fairly plain, maybe something a bit more lively would have been better! I compared it to various other Ovation guitars, but this for the price was the best buy. The only thing I wish it had is a darker blue colour and not so turquoisey! // 9

Applause AE28 Reviewed by: kilburni, on february 12, 2007

Features: I'm not quite sure what year my model is but it's a beautiful cherry burst color with a 20-fret rosewood fretboard and a very shallow bowl back. It has a nice cutaway in the body allowing the player access to all 20 frets on the fretboard. It has a string-thru bridge which is very convenient for restringing purposes. The electronics on the guitar sound nice (I only have plugged it in in the store before I purchased it) although I don't have much use for the electric portion of the guitar. I'm not sure of the brand of the tuners but they are non locking and keep the guitar in tune pretty well. Because I bought it used I didn't get any accessories with it but I did buy a gig bag from daddy's that was nice and fit it perfectly for only 30 bucks. The guitar definately has a great amount of features for the price paid. // 9

Sound: I play mostly acoustic music and this guitar just sounds great. The bass end of the spectrum is a little bit weak but the guitar really doesn't sound all that plasticy, which is a complaint that a lot of people I know have had with ovations in the past. I like the sound of the guitar for the most part. It's not very loud which is good for my dorm room and there's really no buzzing when playing chords which is a nice change from my Epiphone acoustic. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I think that the previous owner of this guitar may have had it professionally set up because the action is buttery smooth. This guitar frets like an electric with the 11guage strings I have on it and I love that feel in an acoustic. The action does get higher when you get closer to the bridge which is kind of a pain because it can get annoying having to push extremely hard to play up around the 12th fret and higher. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't gigged with this guitar as I'm just a recreational player but I feel like the guitar would be reliable enough to gig with if someone wanted to. The strap buttons are nice and solid and hold up well. The guitar seems to be pretty dependable but I don't think that anyone would gig with it without a backup, number one, because it's just a cheap guitar with not a lot of sound options, and number two, because gigging without a backup is just dumb. On the whole, however, I would say this is a very dependable guitar, especially for someone Who just wants a small in home or travel guitar. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, I would say the guitar fits my needs perfectly. I just live in a dorm room and don't like having anything too big taking up space so my electric/amp combo was pretty much out of the question. I was using an Epiphone starter-pack acoustic and that just wasn't doing the trick so I needed something new. I found this at a great price and couldnt pass on the deal. After only playing for about a year I just couldn't imagine spending high amounts of money for a guitar and this just fit my situation perfectly. If I were to lose it or have it stolen, I would definately consider buying a new one. I love the finish of the guitar and it's playability when playing chords. I hate the higher action closer to the bridge because I like to goof around and play solo's on my acoustic and this makes it difficult. But I have to say that this is just a small blemish on what I see as a very nice guitar. In comparison to the more expensive ovations, I think that this guitar holds up nicely. The only feature that I wish it had is an onboard tuner, but I can survive with the acoustic-mic tuner I already have. For the most part, however, I would say that the guitar is more than decent for beginner and intermediate players or just anyone that needs a lightweight or cheap guitar. For the price paid or even the list price, I would rate this guitar a 9 overall. // 9

More Ovation reviews rating category latest review
+ CC24-4 Celebrity 8.4 Acoustic Guitars 03/21/2014