CC057 Celebrity Review

manufacturer: Ovation date: 11/06/2006 category: Acoustic Guitars
Ovation: CC057 Celebrity
The sound that made the acoustic guitar a viable electric instrument is now within everyone's reach. This Ovation guitar has a center soundhole, Rosewood fingerboard. Built by Ovation's Pacific-based subsidiary, it benefits from the same U.S.A.-made Lyrachord body as its more upscale American brothers.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.7
 9.9
reviews (3) 5 comments vote for this gear:
CC057 Celebrity Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 19, 2005

Purchased from: eBay

Features: My Ovation was made in 2002 according to its serial number and is made in USA. Model CC057 specifications: - 6-string acoustic/electric - Body type: s/shallow cutaway - Top: spruce - Bracing: a brace - Scale length: 25 1/4 - Fretboard: rosewood - Fret inlay: dots & diamonds - Bridge: walnut - Rosette: Ovation oakleaf - Pickup: thinlines - Nutwidth: 1 11/16 - Machines: chrome - Pre-Amp: OP20 (very good pre-amp with master volume, 3-band EQ, pre-shape, EQ on/off and chromatic tuner), battery is easily changed, but lasts a long time. This guitar being a bowel back, is very very light and contrary to popular beliefs on some bowel backs, it sounds great plugged or unplugged! // 10

Sound: My music style requires jumping from electric (LP Std) guitar and acoustic because of the variations in music I play. My influences are Guns N' Roses, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Led Zep. I enjoy putting some rock songs to acoustic and they are every bit as good on the Ovation. I use an Marshall Valvestate AVT275 combo amp with this guitar, and combined with the amps acoustic sim I can make the sound as splinter sharp or as dull as needed. This is one of the best guitar's for the money, but if playing at higher than bedroom volumes through an amp, you need to buy a Feedback Buster or the like (sound hole anti-feedback rubber cap) if facing towards the amp while playing. Overall this guitar is suited to those electric fingers who want a low action acoustic guitar that is very light! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar second hand (1 year old hardley played) and the action was superb. Obviously its only adjustable via luthiers so it's important that it stays perfect. The bridge understring pickup (the strings lay over the top of the fixed intonation strip which doubles as a pickup) is very good and catches all those lovely tones whether its strummed in a trebly manor (near the bridge) or more towards the neck. Zero flaws by the manufacturer! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is for someone with a bit of an idea on how to look after bowel backs. The neck join with the bowel back is very strong, however if broken can be repaired easily by trained pro's. I would gig with this guitar without a backup, I trust it so much. Strap buttons are solid, but when strap ends are tight they can loosen the screws occassionally. I have grown into a routine with all my guitars to check these things. The finish looks very strong, however I do live in a central heated home and always ensure I have a reservoir (humidifier) left in the guitar when not in use. I also use a tiny drop of lemon oil on the fingerboard (to reduce dry-wood effects) and jim dunlop polishes and wax's on the body. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar suits my music perfectly. The guitar is a lovely honey burst which shows the wood finish and match line perfectly through its trans finish. I have been playing for 3 years, and have learnt quite quickly over the passed few months. If it were stolen I would definitely instantly buy another! Only positives, no hates about the guitar at all! My favourite feature is the onboard Eq, which allows to adjust tone without an extra pedal ruining your signal. I wish it had solid gold tuners, other than that its perfect! // 10

CC057 Celebrity Reviewed by: Godzilla1969, on april 17, 2006

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Features: My Ovation CC057 acoustic-electric guitar was made in 2005. It has 22 frets, a natural finish that is quite beautiful, and it sports a single-cutaway body shape. It has a nice little preamp in it that lets you adjust the EQ, volume, "pre shape," and a couple other options, and includes a convenient, built-in tuner. The features on this guitar are incredible considering it's price. // 10

Sound: My band plays and indie rock style fused with Classic Rock, psychedelia, and Radiohead-ish qualities, so this guitar suits the music quite well. I am using it with a Fender FM 212R combo amp and usually no effects except for a Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor. Sometimes the feedback is slightly loud when plugged in, but there is no buzzing to be heard, and the guitar is about as versatile as an acoustic can get. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I needed to adjust the action quite a bit until I was able to play completely comfortably, but is wasn't a big deal seeing as they included the truss rod adjusting tool. The finish is a beautiful natural wood grain and is very shiny and masterfully laminated. It contains no flaws that I have noticed. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't used this guitar live before (my band isn't the gigging type yet), but at all of our practices it holds up very well. I have no worries about the strap buttons; they have not failed me yet, and although I have only had it since Christmas of 2005, I don't think the finish will wear out anytime soon. // 10

Overall Impression: Whether it is for song-writing, sitting around and playing in my room, or plugged in at band practice, this guitar performs extremely well. I can't say much about my dislikes; the action was set up a bit poorly out of the box, but that's an easy fix. Whether you plan to take this with you on the road or plan to buy it for an easy alternative to plugging in your electric guitar, you can't go wrong with the Ovation CC057. // 10

CC057 Celebrity Reviewed by: andrew7667, on november 06, 2006

Sound: I love this guitar. I play mainly Indie stuff (Death Cab, Jack Johnson, Bright Eyes, etc.) and it suits it perfectly. This guitar sounds a little twangy unplugged, but plugged in this guitar really shines. I'm using a 30w Crate acoustic amp and it sounds amazing through it. I love being able to adjust the eq straight from the guitar so I don't have to walk over to my amp to get a different sound. You can get a lot of feedback if you are facing the amp while playing. I just bought a loot hole and it has cleared that up. I played a gig not long ago and we experienced no problems with noise. You can get all sorts of sounds from this guitar. I can get everything from a bright, twangy sound to a really warm, rich sound. Again, unplugged it does sound some what twangy (especially with the stock strings) but I put some Martin sps on it and it solved that. The pickups also pick up all sorts of different sounds whether you're playing at the bridge for the twang or closer to the sound hole. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was a bit high for my taste out of the factory. I've taken it to two different places to get it set-up and neither have gotten it exactly the way I want it. This, to me, is the only real flaw. It isn't perfect, but it's close. Despite the action, the neck is still silky smooth. I have absolutely no qualms with the pickups. For the price, they've given me all the sound I've wanted and then some. Other than the action, the guitar came flawless. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have and would use this guitar Live without a backup. The guitar, the hardware, everything has stood up to my abuse (and I've been known to be a little rough with my guitars). The strap buttons seem fine, but I'd still recommend getting strap locks so you don't drop it on stage. I'm sure it'll handle being dropped, but you'll still look like a buffoon. The finish isn't bad considering the price of the guitar. It has worn down with my playing and I would have liked it had they put on a pick guard. // 10

Overall Impression: I had almost bought a Martin at guitar center right before I got this guitar. The Martin was over twice the price and while it sounded a bit better, you cannot beat the playability of this guitar. My favorite feature of this guitar is easily the built in tuner. It stays in tune fairly well, but it's nice to just be able to press that little tune button when you want to change the tuning (it accepts more than just the standard tuning). I would No Doubt buy this guitar again if it were ever stolen. I've yet to play a guitar that plays as well as this one does (don't think it doesn't sound good either though). A word to the wise: Ovation seems to like to change around their model names and slightly change the models. If you are buying a new one it will probably be listed as a CC24. It's the same electronics but they changed the tuners to gold. Also, the '02 version has more frets than does mine. // 10

More Ovation reviews rating category latest review
+ CC24-4 Celebrity 8.4 Acoustic Guitars 03/21/2014