CC11 Celebrity Review

6.8
review (1) pictures (3) 2 comments vote for this gear:
CC11 Celebrity Reviewed by: locorogue, on october 25, 2011

Purchased from: individual

Features: - Made: 1983, in Korea(nice actually) - Top: Sitka Spruce - Bracing: Ovation K-3 - Scale Length: 25 1/4" - Fretboard: Rosewood, Black Binding - Fret Inlay: 9 Pearloid Dots - Bridge: Walnut - Pickup: none, straight up acoustic - Nutwidth: 1 11/16" - Machines: Ping Enclosed Chrome // 9

Sound: Easily a 10, suits my style perfectly. My amps etc are in my D-Scale review. This guitar is a standalone and is superb, full, deep, bright, distinct, character, etc., even balanced across the board, damn close to a Martin D-15(ish). I have installed a Fishman Rare Earth Humbucking pickup on this guitar, and to say the least the sound of this guitar plugged in is stellar. I believe this guitar is capable of any sounds, from simple strumming to percussive (where it really shines). The guitar is full bodied when hitting the heel of your hand (or preferred percussion), etc when percussive, and the sound is full bodied and resonates perhaps as well as any guitar. Since making this guitar into and acoustic/electric, this is now my favorite sounding guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar used, and it was in need of some attention. The overall structure (body, neck, head) was good, but everything in between needed conditioned. Before I 'reconditioned' this guitar up it sounded great, even with crap old strings, after I reconditioned it, damn... I reconditioned/stained the fretboard, saddle reshaped and lowered, tuners lubed, new strings, wtf. This guitar fits me like a glove, and the finish is epic due to it's age (amazing). // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would easily gig live. The hardware is almost 29 years old, and doing incredibly well, obviously it will last. Strap locks are rock solid, I would depend on this guitar as a standalone, this guitar is a lifetime piece, heirloom would easily fit this sucker. The guitar fells rock solid in your arms, it just feels right... // 10

Overall Impression: My style is as suggested in review per Ovation D-Scale review, very percussive, etc. I absolutely love the fullness/deepness of this guitar, sounds like damn near a jumbo, of course not, but surprisingly damn close, maybe a more low end and fuller sound than my D-Scale (wtf). // 10

More Ovation reviews rating category latest review
+ CC24-4 Celebrity 8.4 Acoustic Guitars 03/21/2014