CC24-4 Celebrity Review

8.4
 8.8
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
CC24-4 Celebrity Reviewed by: ace_a, on march 21, 2014

Features: This Ovation model was apparently made in 2006, but I purchased it in 2013 brand new, with a discounted hardcase and left handed (CC24L-4). It included the following features:

- 6 String Acoustic / Electric
- Bridge: Walnut
- Rosette: Inlayed Abalone
- Pickup: Ovation Slimline Pickup, with a 3 band EQ and gain knob
- Nutwidth: 1 11/16"
- Machines: Silver? (Not entirely sure)
- Built-in Tuner

After a proper setup, I really couldn't complain with what I got with this guitar! // 10

Sound: I play a considerably wide variety of tunes, which mostly include jazz, classical, folk and some contemporary styles of pop music. After playing my guitar a few times, I can safely say that this guitar isn't very suitable for classical pieces. However, I think this Ovation does well in the picking department bringing out the treble, as it sounds really bright and "twinkly." I really do love that aspect of the CC24-4. On the other hand, mid and bass do okay. I guess it does do a reasonable job - it doesn't get drowned out by the treble at all, but you can definitely hear it when played. Sometimes I do wish for a bit more bass. With strumming, the sound is quite balanced. It's also really good with hammers, slides, bends and harmonics. Doing the latter or when changing the standard tuning, this guitar can stay in tune very well.

When this baby is plugged in, it sounds like a dream. I've only just performed with this guitar at my first gig, which I played through a PA system. I was quite surprised - I could really hear the sustain this Ovation has, and as this brand is famous for, the sound is clear and every string pronounced itself perfectly. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This was my first time buying a guitar by myself, and in this case you could say that my inexperience had caused a lot of problems. Even though I do enjoy my Ovation now, the guitar had a bit of buzzing going on in several places on the guitar. I had asked the salesman if he could fix it (before I actually purchased), and he didn't do much about it. So really, the guitar was not setup very well while it was in the shop. After I bought my guitar I had to get the neck adjusted to stop the buzzing, and I also had to get it sent off to a luthier to fix a fret lift.

It's a bit disappointing realising my Ovation had some flaws. This definitely won't get full marks, but at least I've learnt something from this. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Some of the finish scraped off from when I dropped the guitar on concrete, but that was because I was wearing a bad quality strap. After getting an Ernie Ball strap, this Ovation stays snuggly and in place; I haven't had the guitar get scraped since. This Ovation CC24-4 still stands and plays at its best since getting a proper setup. Usually, if the guitar gets knocked about it doesn't show any damage. There's barely any scuffs or scratches on it, which is great. After owning this guitar for a year, the finish hasn't even worn out yet. I reckon this guitar could last me a long time.

For a gig, this Ovation does an excellent job. I haven't done many gigs with this guitar, but still I'd probably keep another one as backup. // 9

Overall Impression: In conclusion, the Ovation CC24-4 could suit basically anyone, no matter what style you do (with the exception of classical music). The features it offers are quite limitless with what you do with it, however I don't think this guitar could compare to higher-end ones like Taylor and Martin.

As it is now, the Ovation CC24-4 is definitely worth the amount I got it for. If somebody had stolen this guitar I would most certainly try and get it back, otherwise if I had to buy another guitar it would have been the Ibanez AW300. So, if you want a guitar with great clarity then you should consider getting an Ovation CC24-4. // 9

More Ovation reviews rating category latest review
+ Applause AE128 6.7 Acoustic Guitars 11/03/2013