CC245 Celebrity Review

manufacturer: Ovation date: 06/01/2012 category: Acoustic Guitars
Ovation: CC245 Celebrity
This guitar has surprised me actually, and I have been neglecting my others because of this one. This Celebrity suits me perfectly.
 Features: 9.5
 9.2
 9.3
reviews (2) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
CC245 Celebrity Reviewed by: locorogue, on september 28, 2011

Purchased from: ebay

Features: Description: 6 String Acoustic / Electric Body Type: Mid-Depth Cutaway Top: Spruce Bracing: Modified X Scale Length: 25 1/4" Fretboard: White Bound Rosewood Fret Inlay: Abalone Dots Bridge: Walnut Sound Hole: Center Rosette: Inlayed Abalone Preamp: OP-4BT Pickup: Ovation Slimline Pickup Nutwidth: 1 11/16" Machines: Gold // 9

Sound: This Celebrity suits me... PERFECTLY. As my other Celebrity review stated, I want a deep sounding guitar, without overwhelming the mids and highs (who doesn't). Also as in a previous review, I love fingerpicking, i.e; Michael Hedges, Doug Smith, percussive ala Preston Reed, Erik Mongrain, etc. When tapping, percussive or overall just pounding on this guitar (ever so gently, lol), the percussive sounds are stellar, plugged or not. The overall sound is full bodied, and the mids and hi's are very clear and distinct. Unplugged the guitar sounds fantastic, and similar when plugged in. The guitars sound exceeds my expectations. Please see other reviews per amp gear I use. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Ovation guitars seem to be set up fine from the factory, however, I like an extremely low action, that's where Ovation stays at 10 on action setup, their shim setup is stellar. The electronics (EQ) seem fine, as well as the tuner. The tuning pegs on this guitar seemed fair, so I replaced them, because of this the guitar falls to a 9, I wanted black tuners anyway. Overall in this category, less the tuner issue, the guitar is great. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar would most certainly stand up to gigging, but would not have confidence in the tuners, that being said, so far the guitar has stayed in tune, I have challenged this guitar, but I haven't gigged with it yet. Questionable hardware (tuners), strap buttons good, the finish seems good. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar has surprised me actually, and I have been neglecting my others because of this one (even my perfect 10 baritone). If the tuners were better, this guitar would exceed my expectations, and receive almost perfect scores, and get a 10 in my overall. I would highly recommend this guitar for any level or style of playing, and for the money, this one may extremely hard to beat. // 9

CC245 Celebrity Reviewed by: iamok, on june 01, 2012

Price paid: A$ 380

Purchased from: ebay

Features: This is a 12 string CC245. Second hand off eBay, in the box with newish strings. Sunburst, preamp and inbuilt tuner which is very handy for a 12. Normal quality Ovation finish and I believe built in Asia. Looks sweet. // 10

Sound: Have not played a 12 for years and the fingers and fingering struggled early on but this is a great value guitar. Trebley sound acoustic but rich and balanced, with amp it is fantastic. Wanted to play fuller acoustics to suit slower songs and this fits the bill. Though effects wow. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is 12 action, but for a 12 is very good, will be better when I get it setup properly. Used it gigging recently and despite amazing pain in fingers was excellent. High frets playable without buzz, neck is easy to negotiate. Using Kayser capo and goes great. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Don't know yet, needs a box but seems sturdy build and survived a weekend of gigging with different players. Can't fault it. // 9

Overall Impression: Absolutely great value 12. Tried a few others in the shops and whilst the CC245 12 has that distinctive Ovation ring to it and shape you need to get used to if sitting down with it, this guitar stacks up. No-one can believe it was worth less than $1000 due to the look, feel and sound. Would I replace it - yes definitely. May only go up the ladder in price to replace but would need to be significantly better value for me to upgrade from this model. // 10

More Ovation reviews rating category latest review
+ CC24-4 Celebrity 8.4 Acoustic Guitars 03/21/2014