CC29S-4C Celebrity Review

8.2
review (1) pictures (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
CC29S-4C Celebrity Reviewed by: locorogue, on august 17, 2011

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: Acoustic / Electric - Body Type: Deep Contour - Top: Solid Cedar - Bracing: Modified Quintad - Scale Length: 25 1/4" - Fretboard: Rosewood - Fret Inlay: Abalone Micro Dots - Bridge: Rosewood - Sound Hole: Center - Rosette: Abalone - Preamp: OP-4BT - Machines: Chrome w/ PVC Coating - Pickup: Ovation Slimline // 8

Sound: This Celebrity suits me... So so, I want a deep sounding guitar, without overwhelming the mids and highs. As in a previous review, I love fingerpicking, i.e; Michael Hedges, Doug Smith, that being said, this model falls short of my overall expectations. Please see other review (per amp gear I use). The sound is absolutely full bodied, almost too full, not bad when plugged in. Ovation deep bowl guitars start at approx $2000-$4000, so I decided to try the newest edition... Celebrity. Unplugged the guitar is limited to deep tones, actually kind of muddled, but plugged in it's easy to adjust. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Ovation guitars seem to be set up fine from the factory, however, I like an extremely low action, that's where Ovation stays at 10 on action setup, their shim setup is stellar. Most acoustics are setup the way they are, not Ovation. The guitar did have some fretboard (frets) flaws, I luckily knew how to fix. Not sure if it's a common problem, but I got one that had a prob. One of the tuning knobs seemed loose, cannot tighten, and maybe the lower quality top has affected the sound I'm looking for. Again the fretboard was flawed, and this body seems thin, almost flimsy... The electronics (EQ) seem fine, as well as the tuner. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar would most likely stand up to gigging, I would have confidence with this guitar alone... Plugged in. I wonder if they will offer a more sturdy bodied model, as is the case with most Ovations. Tuning stays consistent. Questionable hardware(tuners), strap buttons ok, the finish seems good. // 8

Overall Impression: For really deep tones unplugged, I would have to say the this guitar easily meets my expectations, but the drawback is that the deepness overwhelms the mids and the highs. I appreciate Ovations interest in offering a guitar less than $2000 for a deep bowl design, but they need to do better, maybe this was a trial model. While I appreciate it, Ovation hopefully will pay attention and adjust accordingly... // 8

More Ovation reviews rating category latest review
+ CC24-4 Celebrity 8.4 Acoustic Guitars 03/21/2014