CS257 Celebrity Review

manufacturer: Ovation date: 06/22/2004 category: Acoustic Guitars
Ovation: CS257 Celebrity
Instead of the standard one hole, the Celebrity CS257 has 15 holes arranged around what looks like a hand painted wooden fall leaf pattern. This guitar should meet any genre's acoustic needs.
 4.8
 9.6
review (1) pictures (3) user comments vote for this gear:
CS257 Celebrity Reviewed by: MasterXaero, on june 22, 2004

Features: This is an acoustic guitar with amp-plugin capabilities. Made in Korea, the body of the guitar comes in two colors that I've seen - black and a sort of magenta which fades into a black border (I own the latter). Instead of the standard one hole, the Celebrity CS 257 has 15 holes arranged around what looks like a hand painted wooden fall leaf pattern. There are 11 holes at the above the strings and 5 below the strings, all located near the neck. The body has a good finish, but lacks a pick guard. Regardless, unless you are really hitting those strings hard, pick scratches are difficult to see. It has a 23 rosewood fetboard, with dots at the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 12th, 15th, and 17th frets, each dot alternating between a white circle and a white diamond, with two diamonds and one circle at the 12th fret, which goes well with the silver frets. The bridge is well set and provides good action (I use size 9 strings), and when strings need to be replaced, you simply slip it through a hole on one side of the bridge, no annoying pins involved. Finally, the guitar is equipped with a 9-volt battery powered Ovation OP30 control panel, which allows you to adjust the volume, bass, treble, and middle sounds if plugged into an amp. It's also got Mid-shift, preshape, and equalizer in/out buttons, and a tuner that helps you tune your guitar to all the notes and everything in between. // 10

Sound: I play emo rock, so for my band's acoustic songs it sounds great, especially when plugged in to my Crate GFX-120T amp. As far as acoustics go, it has an average sound, mainly because of hole placement. This may at first appear to give it an irregular sound but in reality it is unique. The only problem with it seems to be that if you get too close to the amp when you are playing a large venue, you get horribly annoying feedback. Nothing standing 10 feet from the amp can't fix. Otherwise a practice-amp volume should present no problems. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up perfectly in the factory. The bride provides comfortable action with my size 9's. The pickups are located at just the right place - towards the top of the inside of the body - to give a great sound. You can't even tell they're there. Bridge setup was fine. The tuning pegs are about 1 inch wide and function properly - not too lose, not too tight. It also has a thinner body so your arm doesn't fall asleep from playing over that long stretch common on most acoustic guitars. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have used this guitar to play live to venue with about 500 people listening. No problems at all. The hardware is very sturdy, particularly the control panel. I've used this guitar for about a year, and dropped it/hit it against walls/kicked it/etc and it's still in one, functioning piece like it just came from the store. The body is durable; however I wouldn't go punching it or anything. The strap buttons are average and are reliable, however I recommend, as with any guitar, strap locks, just in case. This guitar is very dependable and I have used it numerous times at gigs without a backup. This thing can survive anything short of throwing it into a bonfire. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar should meet any genre's acoustic needs. I use it with my Crate GFX-120T amp and .87 mm picks and it sounds great. I get the sound I have come to expect with upwards of four years of playing guitar. IF lost or stolen, there'd be hell to pay for the one who stole it, but I'd probably buy another, as I have never really had any problems with it. I love the design and hole placement - it's very unique. The only thing I hate about it is a tacky white border around the body but that's overshadowed by the rest of it's look. My favorite feature is the tuner - perfect for playing those Goo Goo Dolls or Dashboard Confessional songs in chaotic tunings. A great guitar, my first acoustic, well worth the money I paid for it. Go out and get one. // 10

More Ovation reviews rating category latest review
+ CC24-4 Celebrity 8.4 Acoustic Guitars 03/21/2014