CS257 Celebrity Deluxe Review

8.7
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this gear:
CS257 Celebrity Deluxe Reviewed by: leid sepplin, on february 21, 2007

Purchased from: Asheboro Pawn

Features: This guitar was made in 2005, and made in Korea. It has a teardrop fretboard with 21 frets on the low 3 strings and 23 for the higher 3 strings. I am not sure of the scale of the guitar, but the inotation was fine when I bought it. The fingerboard is made of rosewood. The body wood is maple, and the neck wood is some exotic wood, that I'm not sre of. There is a transparent finish, and it is a very thinline cutaway. The bridge style is just a modded classical version (no pins). The electronics are active (pre-amp needs batteries) and the controls given are, volume, bass, treble, mid, EQ in/out, pre shape, and mid-shift. It also has a built in chromatic tuner (the preamp is OP30). I have not looked at the pickup yet, but am sure that it is an Ovation. it has non locking tuners, Ovation brand (look like mini-grovers). My guitar came with a fitted case. You will need this case if you buy this guitar because the backing is so oddly shaped. // 9

Sound: The sound is great, if not a little quiet, for my music style. mostly I play finger picking songs so it is quiet. With an amp though this thing really shines. If you are looking for an acoustic guitar that you don't have to mic, this could be your one. It is noisy with a lot of distortion, but it's an acoustic so why would you want that? This guitar has a more Martin-esque sound being more dark and full then it's brother guitars. The inotation was fine when I got this guitar but lately the bridge has been buzzing at the D string. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar was great when I got it. It was just high enough to play slide but low enough so that you can play normally without changing guitars. The pickup was fine when I got the guitar, but is held in with a clip making it fall out if the guitar moves suddenly. The only flaw I saw on the guitar was that the tuning pegs were slightly rusted, but that helped me bargain for it. I doubt that that would affect new guitars, though, since I bought mine used. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would definitely withstand Live playing. In fact that was what it was made for! The hardware seems like it will last, and the strap buttons are on tight. I would use it with a backup though, because the pickup can fall out if you don't make sure it's clipped in the middle. The finish seems a tad thin and there is no pickguard, but this would just add even more flair to an already flamboyant guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great match for anyone that plays acousticore, rhythm, and needs a good guitar for live playing. Overall, though, it comes a little short in overall loudness unplugged. I've been playing for about 3 years and own a slew of other guitars, and this is my favorite acoustic-electric. If it were stolen I would definatly buy another! these things aren't wallet busters, and are very well made guitars. The only thing I wish it had were bigger soundholes so that it would be louder acousticly. // 8

CS257 Celebrity Deluxe Reviewed by: lmcd, on june 20, 2011

Purchased from: Ebay Store

Features: Made in Korea, thinline, cutaway style, 23 frets, rosewood fretboard. Spruce top, laminated with walnut bridge. On board OP-30 preamp with a 3-band EQ, tuner, and a bypass switch. Thinline, under saddle pickup. Gold hardware. // 8

Sound: I am a beginner (to guitar playing) and bought this to start accompanying myself. After settling in with this guitar, I found the tone to be without depth or nuance. At first I thought it was my novice playing, but after trying a few other guitars, I realized it was due to the construction of this particular instrument. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The neck is rather thin and worked for my hands. However, I found that the action, which at first seemed low, to be stiff and therefore very difficult for this beginner's hands. The guitar itself is beautiful; the wood inlay pieces around the soundhole are typical of Ovation's design aesthetic. // 6

Reliability & Durability: The synthetic back is sturdy and the rest of the guitar is put together well. That, coupled with a case that looks like it could withstand just about any abuse encountered in routine travel. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been learning on some typical Acoustic material (folk, rock, indie), and as I've only been playing "seriously" for a few months, my feedback may (or may not) be good only for beginners. However, I do believe my assessment of the tone of this instrument is accurate and for that reason alone, I would steer away. It is a beautiful looking guitar, which is deceiving. If you have accomplished (i.e. strong) hands, this is a decent "bang for the buck". It's a good choice for a second guitar for travel, camping, etc. As it is constructed well, lightweight, and you won't mind if you daughter has her way with it. // 6

More Ovation reviews rating category latest review
+ CC24-4 Celebrity 8.4 Acoustic Guitars 03/21/2014