CS347 Celebrity Review

manufacturer: Ovation date: 03/29/2012 category: Acoustic Guitars
Ovation: CS347 Celebrity
This new addition to Ovation's popular Celebrity Deluxe line features a quilted maple top complimented by a Black Cherry Burst finish. It also features a single, bass side, epaulet. This sound hole placement enhances bass response and gives the guitar a rich and even acoustic response.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.3
 8.4
 9.3
 7.4
reviews (3) pictures (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
CS347 Celebrity Reviewed by: guitarcaw, on november 10, 2005

Features: Made in the USA in 2005, this guitar is simply beautiful. It has an odd fretbaord, 23 frets on the upper three strings (e, B, and G), 22 on the D, and 21 on the A and E. The body of the guitar is absolutely amazing. The top is a quilted, two peice, black cherryburst maple with one "leaf" for the soundholes and a walnut bridge. It has a bound rosewood fretboard with diamond and dot inlays. The back is made out of the signature, lychrachord and has a mid-depth bowl. It also has one cutaway, an OP-30 pickup, and onboard tuner with a three band EQ to finish it off, the headstock is fitted with gold tuners. This guitar is a real work of art and beauty. // 10

Sound: I usually play an electric but when I play acoustic, this guitar completely matches my music style (soft rock, easy classical). This guitar can really put out, but sometimes thats just not loud enough. I use my Crate 65 watt if I need to be heard. With an amp, this thing can really shine! With three eq adjusting buttons (EQ/out, mid-shift, and pre shape) and a bass, mid and, treble sliding controls, the ultimate acoustic tone is at your fingers! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar right off the floor display and even after it had others playing and messing with it, I didn't have to adjust a thing. The top is perfectly matched together, my friends had a hard time finding out it's a two peice until I told them. I have not found any flaws since I bought it (2 months ago). This guitar is basically perfect. Ovation really pays attention to detail. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I bought this guitar to play in a Concert where an acoustic was needed. Onstage this guitar did not let me down and provided a way for me to be heard over the orchestra with marvelous tone. With personal experience onstage, I know I can depend on this guitar without a backup. My dad bought his own Ovation 18 years ago. Even through rigorus playing, the finish and hardware are still in good shape. with that in mind, I can predict that this guitar can stand up to almost anything and still look good. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is perfect for me as it suits my acoustic style very well. I've been playing for almost 4 years with three other electrics. I used to play my dad's Ovation but now I have my own. I would definitely buy this again because I absolutely love this guitar. There is nothing I hate on the guitar and my favorite feature is the onboard tuner/pre-amp. During the Concert, that was really use ful for changing from a bright, happy tone, to a dark, mellow tone quickly and effortlessly. I compared this to a few Takamine guitars but in the end, I thought this was the better guitar. Overall, I think this guitar is perfect for anyone considering buying an acoustic and I will stand behind this guitar forever. // 10

CS347 Celebrity Reviewed by: kahok5ownage, on march 18, 2011

Features: 2010, mexico, 20 frets, it has a fiberglass casing with a resin looking inside, neck maple bosy is mahogany, transparent red, devil tooth body, active electronics, volume, gain, tremelo, rythm, nonlocking Ovation tuners, bought a s.i.k case for 150, worth it! ^-^ // 8

Sound: It's has amazing sound. One second w/out an amp I can be playing Earth angel, to I'm your's, then hook it up to an amp no pedals and then turn the gain up and play some A7X! You just have so much variety when it comes to this guitar. AMAZING QUALITY RICH RICH SOUND! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Neck dosen't bend, has a block of wood with a smaller hole for better amplification. Bridge needed no work, no pickups only a block of wood, strings are perfect for the bridge and sound amazing only flaw is that everyone can't own one. I love this guitar so freaking much! its amazing! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've dropped a Fender strat on it a few times, strap buttons could be bigger but it's not prob, I have used it in live gigs, the fiberglass over the slick resin keeps it from wear, only downside is that it has no pick guard and this makes it get finger prints were I pick. // 8

Overall Impression: I play all types of music and this guitar is just amazing for it, I've been playing for aolmost 3 years now and I own 2 other fenders and an Ibanez, The hollow back is annoying at times but it gives it that extra umph! thats worht it. I would probably jump off a bridge if it were stolen, I love the Ovation style and feel. Favorite feature is the on board tuner that allows you to change the tuning and the sound. The only thing that could make this guitar ANY better is if Jesus himself played it ^_^ // 10

CS347 Celebrity Reviewed by: locorogue, on march 29, 2012

Purchased from: ebay

Features: The features are as described in the other reviews, I am reviewing the same guitar as the previous reviewers. - Top: Quilted Maple - Bracing: Modified Quintad - Scale Length: 25 1/4" - Fretboard : Bound Rosewood - Fret Inlay: Dots/Diamonds - Bridge: Walnut - Rosette: 5-Piece Hardwood Epaulet - Pickup: Ovation Slimline - Nutwidth: 1 11/16" - Machines: Gold Ovation // 9

Sound: This guitar suits my style almost perfectly, finger picking 1st, percussive 2nd, flat picking 3rd, etc. It's not as deep as the 2078TX, yet is still very full. I run the guitar through a Boss GT-10, to a Boss RC-300, I run two amps(Randall RG200, and a Randall W-Max), stereo with BBE Sonic Stomps (sonic maximizers). This guitar is poetry, the sound is rich & full bodied, yet the mids and highs Shine bright, amazing resonation (curiously long), well balanced sound all around. This guitar can handle the softest of my style, yet handle the hardest(percussive, tapping), on that note, this is not as bright tapping as say the CC29(prob cause the soundhole placement, but plugged in is no issue). The sound is consistent even drop tuned, etc. I recently bought the CS347KOA and I would give the KOA a 9, and to me the BCQM smokes the KOA also, so that's the reason for the 10. It's perhaps the KOA to the maple I'm sure, but wow, the BCQM is much better sounding overall to me. The OP30 preamp is stellar, I just wish Ovation would make all the preamp housings the same, so the OP30 would fit into the OP-PRO, etc, or the 'Idea' fit into the OP30 sleeve. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action needed surgery, I had to do some extensive fretwork, leveling, re-crowning, etc. And the tuners are weak. Other than that, all is good. But my CS347KOA is perfect, so who knows, I'm sure most, if not darn near all the BCQM's are fine, or maybe I'm too picky, lol. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would easily stand up to gigging. I don't have Faith in the tuners(overkill, sorry). This guitar would easily be a great solo guitar, like I said above the sound doesn't deviate when drop tuned etc, but I always have several guitars live anyway. // 9

Overall Impression: The more I learn the guitar, the more I appreciate, because I get to play more and more guitars, and am able to form better opinions. I would love to play an Adamas to compare this guitar, of course all the Adamas' are deep body, but just to hear the overall sound. I think the CS347 is a gorgeous sounding guitar, easily the best Ovation I've played to date (though the CC44 is right there with this one). I will have to update my other reviews in light of this review, on that note, I don't think I'll buy another Ovation unless it has the Quintad bracing, amazing sound. // 10

More Ovation reviews rating category latest review
+ CC24-4 Celebrity 8.4 Acoustic Guitars 03/21/2014