Elite TX DS778TX D-Scale Review

manufacturer: Ovation date: 08/05/2011 category: Acoustic Guitars
Ovation: Elite TX DS778TX D-Scale
I am overwhelmed by this guitar, actually I'm in love. I've played all "the best", and with respect, Ovation, in particular the D-Scale is easily my favorite overall guitar. Ever, not just because it's a baritone.
 9.4
 8.7
review (1) pictures (2) 19 comments vote for this gear:
Elite TX DS778TX D-Scale Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 05, 2011

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: Made in Korea in 2011. - Description: 6 String Acoustic / Electric. - Body Type: Mid-Depth Cutaway. - Top: A Grade Solid Spruce. - Bracing: Scalloped X. - Scale Length: 28 1/3". - Fretboard: Rosewood w/Black Stain - Fret Inlay: None. - Bridge: Rosewood w/Black Stain. - Soundhole: Mutli Bass Side Only. - Preamp: OP Pro. - Pickup: Ovation OCP-1K. - Machines: Black Ovation // 10

Sound: The D-Scale suits me perfectly in every way. I would love to model my style after Michael Hedges. I play most styles, however I prefer finger picking, and I love tapping, essentially using the guitar in every way it can be used to make a unique sound. I use a Boss GT-10 running to a Randall RG200 (2x12, let's the guitars lows shine) and to a Randall 12" practice amp, I have dual BBE Sonic Maximizers before the amps (stellar). I prefer tubed amps, til then I use the BBE's and they give the solid state amps a rich full sound, they are amazing. The D-Scale so far can handle any Acoustic challenges, the one thing that stands out is the deep (wow) full sound of this guitar, the bonus is that the lows do not intrude on mids and highs, great separation and clarity, and this is only the mid depth bowl! So far this is the best Acoustic guitar I've played. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was in tune when received, the overall setup was fine except that the action was a little high. That's where Ovation shines again, Ovation guitars have shims under their saddles, you don't have to remove the strings, just loosen, remove saddle, and mess with the shims. 5 minutes and the action was where I prefer. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Since I just got the D-Scale, I couldn't say anything per the reliability and/or durability, I can say that I have other Ovation guitars (I will submit reviews in those soon) and every one of them is rock solid, so I would expect nothing less with the D-Scale. The hardware is great, strap buttons fine. I would definitely gig with the D-Scale by itself, but I always bring a standard tuned guitar anywho (as the D-Scale is tuned a whole step down). The finish is bulletproof (maybe literally, lol), I love the textured finish, it seems like it will easily stand the test of time. // 10

Overall Impression: I am overwhelmed by this guitar, actually I'm in love. I've played all "the best", and with respect, Ovation, in particular the D-Scale is easily my favorite overall guitar... Ever, not just because it's a baritone. I almost stopped playing acoustics entirely because of comfort issues (boxy, etc), and I was playing electrics primarily. I have several professional Acoustic friends, and was missing playing Acoustic guitars bad, not wanting to be far behind I checked out Ovation because of the bowl design, the D-Scale fits like a glove. Since I've had my Ovations suffice to say that the acoustics have occupied most of my playing time, and have been writing again! One of the stereotypical issues I've always run into, especially from old schoolers is the "non-wood" body, I actually had a sales person say to me per Ovations... When I asked what he thought per Ovations, he states "people mature and learn to appreciate wood bodied guitars" in an arrogant tone, I then asked if he'd ever played an Ovation before, he arrogantly said he wouldn't touch one. Suffice to say I couldn't believe he was a salesman, and that he had no idea of what he was talking about... That being said, if that's the reason for not trying an Ovation (composite body), fear not, if you try the Ovation (especially the D-Scale) you will be impressed... And maybe upset that you waited. // 10

More Ovation reviews rating category latest review
+ CC24-4 Celebrity 8.4 Acoustic Guitars 03/21/2014