MOB57 Tangent Review

manufacturer: Ovation date: 06/23/2008 category: Acoustic Guitars
Ovation: MOB57 Tangent
Unique stretched-oval sound ports look great and allow lighter spruce bracing on the high-pressure-laminate thin spruce top for amazing resonance, volume, and sweet timbre.
 9.9
 9.8
 9.9
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
MOB57 Tangent Reviewed by: klpierce, on june 23, 2008

Purchased from: eBay

Features: This guitar was made in 2007, although I'm not sure exactly where. It has 22 frets on a dark rosewood neck. The top is made of laminated spruce. The finish on this guitar is a blue "Surf Burst," as Ovation calls it. The body is a cutaway style with a Super Shallow back, allowing extreme comfort while playing. The bridge is also made of dark rosewood. The pre-amp on this guitar is Ovation's OP30 model, powered by one 9v battery, with three bands of EQ, and a Mid-Shift button that switches the mid band between 450Hz and 970Hz. It has a volume control, a pre-shape button that reduces rumble from low frequencies, and a great chromatic tuner, which is very handy. The pickup on this guitar is a Thinline pickup. // 9

Sound: This guitar so far as I can tell suits any type of music just fine, although it has a bit of a harsher tone, tending to make it better for rock. I've run it through my Line 6 Spider III amp and it sounds great on either the clean or distorted channels. It has a very rich, full sound, and although the Super Shallow back usually inhibits the bass of a guitar, this one seems to have a very strong bass sound. I'll give it a ten on the basis that it sounds great compared to similar priced guitars. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar wes set up almost perfectly when I recieved it. The action is extremely fast for an acoustic, the pickups sound great, and there are no flaws that I can notice. Possibly the only thing I would prefer are lighter gauge strings, but that is easily fixed. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I don't play live, so I don't know if it would withstand it, but I could very confidently assume that it would. The hardware seems very sturdy, I've already knocked it a few times, and nothing has happened. I could easily depend on this guitar, it's never given me any problems. If I did gig, I would use it on a gig without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: As stated before, this guitar will sound good with just about anything, but is strong in rock. I've been playing for 6 months, and own an Epiphone Strat style guitar in addition to this one. If this guitar was stolen, I would buy another in a heartbeat (if I could find one, it took me forever to find this one). I love almost everything about this guitar, and don't hate anything, other than the fact that acoustics have heavier guage strings than electrics, but I'll get used to that. My favorite feature is a tie between the unique soundholes and headstock. Or maybe the rich bass in combination with the Super Shallow back, which, as I said before, is abnormal. Overall, this is a great guitar. Although I paid $400 (thank you eBay), I believe it usually goes for about $600 or $700. It's definitely a conversation starter. // 10

More Ovation reviews rating category latest review
+ CC24-4 Celebrity 8.4 Acoustic Guitars 03/21/2014