Indianola AE-N Review

6.9
 4.8
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Indianola AE-N Reviewed by: Calum_Barrow, on september 23, 2005

Features: To be honest, I don't know what year it was made in, but I got it early in 2004 if I remember correctly. There it was on the wall, and I promptly asked to have a go. It sounded nice unplugged and plugged in, and I came back to buy it next morning. It was 119 down from 200 and something, probably because it's old stock or something. I haven't seen many Peavey acoustics at all, but I like this one. It has a very distinct bridge, solid spruce top, rosewood back and sides, non-cutaway western body style, tortoiseshell pickguard, binding front and back, bound rosewood fretboard, bound headstock, under saddle Artec Piezo and a Peavey 3 band EQ/preamp. Satin finish on the neck/headstock and gloss on the body. I'd like to have an EQ with more bands, but it does the job. // 8

Sound: I play a lot of acoustic music, and at the time of writing is my only acoustic-electric. Also, I don't own an acoustic amp as of now, so I just play it through a normal guitar/keyboard amplifier when I want to play louder. I will play Folk, country, rock, blues, slide; anything that can be played really on it and it can handle each style well. It gives a nice full tone when unplugged, and has a loud output, and surprisingly quite a lot of sustain to go with it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought it it was set up perfectly, and I haven't made any adjustments myself apart from a good few string changed since then. For all the time that I've had it I haven't seen anything go wrong with it. The only ting that has changed is that the satin finish what once covered the back of the neck has been worn to a gloss really, what with all the many long hours I've played it for, but this doesn't affect the playability at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Haven't used this guitar live yet, but it does seem like it would handle a show with ease. I've hit it on walls numerous times, and I can't see any dents or scratches on it, as it's very hard wearing (at least to my experience). the only wear really is a few scratches on the scratchplate and the finish on the back of the neck now more like a gloss. // 9

Overall Impression: I play Folk, country, blues, rock among other things on this guitar, and I can play all without too much trouble at all. The graphic EQ does help achieve more sounds. I've been playing for around two years probably, and I was nowhere near as clued up as I am now about guitars and such, and so probably would've bought a normal acoustic and fitted a pickup or something myself. If it were stolen, I probably wouldn't buy the same again, id opt for a top of the line Richwood jumbo or something, as I really am a big fan of Richwoods. My favourite feature is probably the binding. I think it really sets the guitar off, and defines the edges and such a lot better than black binding or something. Like I said before, I wish it had a greater number of bands on the EQ, but I don't care that much. // 9

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ Envoy 110 8.7 Guitar Amplifiers 11/10/2014