RA-100D Review

6.8
 6.2
reviews (2) pictures (2) 10 comments vote for this gear:
RA-100D Reviewed by: OrgnlDave, on march 23, 2010

Purchased from: musician's friend website

Features: Mine was a 2009, probably made in China. It's a laminated top, fat neck, dreadnought-style, black guitar. Cheap plastic bridge, no electronics. The tuners are better than expected for the price. There isn't really that much more to say. It's $80 after all. Here are some filler words so it will let me submit this. // 7

Sound: The guitar is a beginner's guitar. It's the best you can get for under $200, but it's certainly not my Cort. I'm giving it a 7 because it's so good for the price. The tone is nice and pretty, but it gets muddled. I'd say that this is also an amazing beater: if you are already a good guitar player, you can wail on it and it sounds good, and you can take it camping or leave it in the car or whatever. It's only $80 if you wreck it. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I had a luthier set it up. I'd recommend either pro setup, or some DIY work. A truss rod adjustment and nut and bridge filing would fix the action good, though it wasn't too terrible coming out of the box. Mine came with a slightly twisted neck with a small hump; this caused the B string to be a bit flat and the tuning got a bit wobbly around the 10th fret or so. However, a friend who got one had a perfectly straight neck and no hump, so I guess it's a crapshoot for QC. On the plus, neither had any fret buzz whatsoever. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I'd use it as a beater. It only has one strap button, on the bottom, but it's rock solid. It has a pick guard. I have no idea how long the finish would last, but the lacquer isn't too thick and is evenly applied. It stays reasonably in tune for 2-3 days, so taking it camping is actually reasonable. Again, here's a bit of filler so it will let me submit this. // 6

Overall Impression: I got this to learn on. I have chronic tendinitis, so when it came time to start barring and such frequently, I had to move on. That said, it's the best you can get for under $200, it's a great beginner guitar to see if you like guitar, or a great guitar to wail on and beat the crap out of. I can't really complain or ask for more for the price. Also, shipping was free, which meant it was actually just $80. I compared the reviews for this guitar to every single sub-$200 guitar I could find, though I didn't play any others. I spent about 10 hours' research on it. If you find a better one, then I'm a total fool. // 8

RA-100D Reviewed by: Robbgnarly, on march 08, 2011

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Features: I don't have a clue what year this was made probably '09. This is a cheap guitar, but for the price I couldn't pass it up(came with a mandolin too for $90!!). Bu it is made fairly well, not great but good enoughfor a throw around guitar. I belive it has a laminated spuce top, not solid spruce, plywood spruce and a nato neck. sealed tuners that actualy work very well. // 7

Sound: The sound is very nice for such a cheep guitar. Notes ring out fully and it has a warm characteristic. You can play anything on this and it wont sound bad, not the best, but as good or better than some more expensive guitars(200-$300). It is the perfect guitar to throw in your car and take with out worries. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is Ok, there is a litte fret buzz but nothing noticeable normaly. For the price it is great. Paint is not bad, over all I'm very pleased with this beater guitar. It stays in tune increadibly well also. If you set it up it is a much better player, and actualy fun to play. Now if your a snob then you will pick it apart, but if your a player it works quite well. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I play this at home and at friends houses. If your gonna play Acoustic live I'd get a better guitar, but for the beginner or budget minded this is a steal(especialy as the guitar/mandolin package) I originalybought it because I have sold off all my acoustics(I play electric) and wanted a Acoustic to have at home(It's kind of hard playing a half stack with 3 kids and a wife in the house. I would recomend this to any one that just wants an Acoustic that plays and sound pretty good for cheap. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a great first guitar or budget acoustic. You can throw it around and if it breaks no big deal. I've been playing for 16+ yrs and you can find a much better acoustic, but not for this price. I am happy with my purchace and would most likely buy it again given the reasons. // 7

More Rogue reviews rating category latest review
+ Analog Chorus 7.3 Guitar Effects 02/03/2014