D-2 Review

manufacturer: Samick date: 06/14/2012 category: Acoustic Guitars
Samick: D-2
It matches any music style as long as you're playing rhythm. The sound is almost perfect, it offers everything a fine Dreadnought would.
 3.8
 7.6
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
D-2 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 14, 2012

Features: Indonesia. 20 frets. No cutaway makes it only playable up till 14th fret. Dreadnought. // 7

Sound: I don't have any negative comments about the sound as it perfectly suits any kind of music you could play with an acoustic. I play progressive rock, ballads, heavy metal and some jazz. Of course, the Dreadnought body gives it a rich and full sound but not very bright, which is very good for rhythm-playing but not for lead. I've equipped it with some elixir strings which basically improves the sound by 80%. I've also installed a Fishman pickup and play with a small Roland Cube 15-XL amplifier. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first got this guitar, the action was pretty high, but this shouldn't be a big problem as you can lower it. I don't like the plastic pins that gives it a "cheap" feel. When I first bought this guitar, everything was fine, but 5 months later, a huge and very annoying buzz appeared on the 2nd fret of my A string. I got it fixed by re-tuning the fret board but it seems the buzz is growing again. The body seems to be very strong as this guitar has survived many travels without a hard case. The rosette around the sound hole looks sublime. I've came across many other acoustic guitars that are much easier to play; this one feels kind of "tight" which doesn't help for bends. Apart from this, it is quite comfortable. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar sure does withstand live playing and I have experienced it. As I said before the wood seems to be very solid and will no doubt last. There is only one strap button which I have replaced by the pickup's input. // 9

Overall Impression: It matches any music style as long as you're playing rhythm. If you're a lead guitarist, then this guitar won't do it. Dreadnoughts are made for rhythm. The sound is almost perfect, it offers everything a fine Dreadnought would but it has several issues (buzz and a ridiculously long sustain for the B string). I have been playing this guitar only for a year and even with all the issues I could depend on this thing. I would highly recommend it for beginners but advanced players should deserve more. // 7

More Samick reviews rating category latest review
+ Avion AV3 8.5 Electric Guitars 05/02/2013