Entourage Rustic Review

Features: 9.3
reviews (3) pictures (2) 10 comments vote for this gear:
Entourage Rustic Reviewed by: obeythepenguin, on may 10, 2010

Purchased from: Ye Olde Music Shop

Features: This is a dreadnought size Acoustic guitar. Slim maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, 21 frets, 1.72" nut. Solid Cedar top Wild Cherry laminate back and sides. Matte sunburst finish. Made in La Patrie, Canada. Mine does not have electronics. No accessories included, but I bought a gig bag for mine, and I usually keep it in a stand. // 10

Sound: The Cedar top gives it a very warm, balanced sound. Rich bass, but not boomy like a Martin, and bright treble, but not tinny like a Taylor. This guitar has pronounced harmonics and a long, haunting sustain. It's great fingerpicked, but also responds surprisingly well to hard strumming (the "overdriven" sound works nicely for rock). The tone sounds slightly darker to me than the S6 Original. I find it a rather distinctive tone, and easily the best feature of this guitar. True, it's not a Vintage Martin D-18 or Gibson SJ-200; it's much more subtle, and every bit as beautiful. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The sound grew on me as I played it, but what immediately won me over was the setup: this was, out of the box, the most comfortable guitar in the shop. I've had it nearly a year and have yet to adjust anything. I took points off only because the neck is a little thin for my taste; I'm used to the slightly thicker, and much wider, one on my 12-string. I don't normally care for sunbursts, but I like this one. Like the tone, it's warm and subtle; you can see the wood grain clear to the edges. Perhaps it's not a coincidence that I attribute much of this guitar's unique tone to the finish. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's a thin finish and scratches easily. It hasn't even been a year, and mine's well on its way to looking like Willie Nelson's. In contrast, my 12-string (same woods, but a natural semi-gloss finish) is older and takes much more abuse, and it still looks brand-new. The bridge pins are also a little iffy. They're cheap plastic, and mine looked rather mangled when I changed the strings. That said, this guitar is solidly built, and if you take care of it, it will take care of you. // 7

Overall Impression: When I tried this guitar, it didn't have a price marked; I literally didn't know what it cost until I took it up to the counter. I've grown up to the sound of my dad's Martin D-18, so I know what a good guitar sounds and feels like. I was expecting three or four times the price at least, and would happily have paid it. I probably still would to this day. I don't buy guitars to fit a particular style; I develop my style around my guitars. I especially associate this one with an R.E.M. sound. "Drive," on this guitar, is simply haunting. It's nothing like the sound on "Automatic for the People"; but it's the sound that should have been there. This guitar is not perfect -- nothing is -- and I'll be the first to admit it's not for everyone. Some people like a tougher finish, or a different tone. But I feel strongly that the only "entry level" feature of this guitar is its price. It's a beautiful guitar, with a unique sound, and I would not trade it for the world. // 10

Entourage Rustic Reviewed by: Artemis Entreri, on april 29, 2011

Features: To begin with, I won this guitar and did not pay for it, though I believe they can be had for somewhere short of $300USD This is a brand new, made in 2011 model of the entourage, fresh from the factory. It sports a thin, solid Cedar top with laminated Wild Cherry back and sides. Wild Cherry isn't typically used as a tone wood as it doesn't have many redeeming qualities but Seagull does a nice job with the laminate. It's beautiful as well! The finish is probably this guitar's best feature. Seagull calls it a "rustic burst" which is a gorgeous Orange and brown finish, similar to a tobacco burst, but ligher. It's incredibly thin, just enough to make the top Shine in the light and really lets the guitar breathe. Unfortunately it offers almost zero protection to the wood. It takes little more than a finger nail tap to dent all the way to the wood so that's something to look out for. Players who use a great deal of body percussion should probably avoid this as I've already put a great many dents in it. The tuning stability is one of this guitar's few but important downsides to consider. It's the weakest feature by far. The tuners are smooth yet it takes a great deal more work to keep the guitar in tune than my Taylor or Cordoba. Additionally, for those who use alternate tunings frequently like myself, it's a pain to keep the pitches from going flat or sharp depending on the way you tune which was never an issue with my Taylor. The guitar comes with no accessories and I would recommend purchasing at least a soft case to protect the top. // 8

Sound: The price of this guitar is not representative of it's sound. I was truly impressed from the moment I first strummed it. The balance across the strings is incredible, it seems that someone spent a good deal of time tuning the top. The bass is authoritative, yet not overwhelming and the trebles are sweet, yet not harsh as is typical of a laminate body. The guitar excels at strumming, particularly with open chords. As a fingerstyle player however, I must say it falls short of my needs. While balance is stellar, the note separation and clarity fall short. Complex chords sound muddy and it takes more work to draw a melody than I would normally accept from one of my instruments. However we must keep in mind the price difference between a Taylor 700 series and this. For the price, this guitar should be a strummer's first choice. It's wonderful for flat picking as well and I can't think of a better guitar in the price range for either style. For fingerstyle players on a budget I would actually also recommend this. I may complain about the clarity but that's a very subtle issue compared to the guitar's many positive features. For the price, it simply can't be beat. Well done, Seagull. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was professionally set up before I even got my hands on it so I can't speak of it's action from the factory but as it stands it's quite comfortable to play. The neck profile is perfect for chord work and the action is high enough to not buzz when strummed, yet still comfortable. The Cedar top is an excellent piece with no cosmetic flaws that I can detect. The finish was beautifully applied and makes the guitar really stand out in a crowd. The faces chosen for the back and sides are also beautiful and really make the guitar a looker. The nut and saddle are cut well and are clear of burrs which might break strings. The tuners were solidly assembled and produced no rattle when the guitar was strummed. The frets are smooth and feel wonderful on my hands. Fantastic overall fit and finish. Seagull's quality control seems to be outstanding. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will most likely serve as a backup to my Taylor for live performance though I don't really feel like installing a pickup in it which costs as much as the guitar would. It would definitely be my instrument of choice for open mics, street performances or anywhere else I didn't want to take my Taylor however. My only worry is the soft quality of the top. I'm fairly certain this guitar will be riddled with dings and dents by the end of this year, but then again, what well loved guitar isn't? I'm confident that it will last me as long as I have the desire to play it though the cosmetics probably won't hold up honestly. Either way, I have no worry of it physically failing on me. With the Adirondack bracing and laminated sides the guitar has an incredibly solid yet graceful feel to it. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm truly impressed by this guitar. The Cedar and cherry with Adirondack bracing produces a unique voice which I find quite appealing. I never would have chosen to buy one myself but having won one I would certainly recommend it to my friends and students. Even though I'm primarily a fingerstyle guitarist, this guitar fills the void I have for a solid strummer with a powerful voice. It's a beautiful addition to my collection. I doubt I would replace it if something were to happen to it but I assure you it would be sorely missed, this guitar has earned it's spot in my collection. I don't even begrudge it's laminate sides. I would probably have believed the man who handed it to me if he had said it was $700 and all solid wood. This is truly a GEM for the price and I highly recommend it. I've been playing for 6 years, 1 professionally. I'm a music major with a focus on guitar and theory. My main instruments are a Taylor 712 with a red Cedar top, rosewood back and sides and an LR Baggs anthem, a Cordoba C10 with Cedar and rosewood, a PRS CE, a HOT rodded stratocaster and a Fender Deluxe Reverb. // 10

Entourage Rustic Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 27, 2011

Features: My Entourage was made in 2011. North American made in Canada. Short scale 14 fret maple neck. The top is made from solid Cedar and has a 3 layer all Wild Cherry back and sides. Its done in a beautiful rustic burst satic finish. Mine has no electronic. Average die cast tuners that hold tune well. I got a gig bag with mine. Tusq nut and saddle come stock on these guitars. // 10

Sound: I like music that has a mellow, somewhat dark feel, so this guitar is perfect for me. Very clear bass response without being boomy or overpowering. Strumming open chords, you can hear everything from top to bottom. I would put the sound between spruce and mahogany. Not overly loud when strummed. Perfect for a solo guitarist or a back up guitarist. Probably not the best for someone needing to be heard over other musicians. Very responsive to fingerpicking. Nice, rich, bell-like tone when played with nails. I love the sound of these tone woods, but it is a different tone than your everyday spruce/mahogany guitars, so try one first before buying. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I can't find a thing wrong with mine. The action out of the box is perfect for me. I don't think it could go any lower without buzzing. The finish is very well done and even; no pools or runs. Frets are nicely dressed with no ends sticking out (no neck binding). Neck is perfectly straight and very smooth. Very comfortable sliding up and down the neck. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can see this guitar showing some battle scars in the future. Cedar is a very soft wood so if you knock it against something its gonna dent and scratch. The satin finish adds to this fact. For me its a fair trade considering those are the same reasons it has the beautiful tone that it does. The build quality feels excellent. The guys at Seagull know how to build a guitar. It feels very solid. // 10

Overall Impression: My impression of this guitar is that its fantastic. I won't say its a good guitar for the money because its far better than that. These are no bling instruments so every dollar you spend is going towards tone and playability. I would be this guitar in the ranks with guitars in price up to $800. I can't say there's any guitar below that price that is for sure definitively "better". // 10

More Seagull reviews rating category latest review
+ S6 Original 8.9 Acoustic Guitars 06/18/2012