S6 Original Review

manufacturer: Seagull date: 06/18/2012 category: Acoustic Guitars
Seagull: S6 Original
Pretty standard for an acoustic - I'd say the neck is a touch thicker, like a Schecter is to a Fender or something. It is comfortable though, and for me it allows me to play better. It is normal dreadnought, no cutaway, no electronics. I haven't had any intonation problems, and so far I could not be more pleased.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.3
 8.8
 9.1
 8.5
reviews (3) pictures (2) 13 comments vote for this gear:
S6 Original Reviewed by: itsxsteves, on march 30, 2012

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: I'm assuming it was built this year, 2012. Pretty standard for an acoustic - I'd say the neck is a touch thicker, like a Schecter is to a Fender or something. It is comfortable though, and for me it allows me to play better. It is solid top cedar, back and sides from wild cherry. Neck is silver maple. Its very natural looking and the grain looks very nice (esp. the wild cherry). The guitar is very soft to the touch but it feels sturdy. Gloss finish? It is normal dreadnought, no cutaway, no electronics. I haven't had any intonation problems, and so far I could not be more pleased. // 10

Sound: How does it suit my music style? Perfect! It sounds like a Taylor 110 with a more "together" like sound because the bass is deeper. I haven't tried it with any pickups or electronics. This thing can sing! It seems like the perfect instrument for that drum guitar, because tapping the wood of the guitar sounds so good. The harmonics are more clear than I hear with other guitars, I don't know why. Because of the incredible comfort I feel with the guitar, my sound is more confident and clear. Also, it is quite loud. Ir really projects across the room. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I would never take off points because new strings slightly came out of the box not quite in tune. Perfect action, new strings, everything matched and was even, AWESOME finish. I love how unique it looks. It is just a clear finish, but the grain of the wood really shines through. The accents also really add to the looks. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Will withstand live performances, everything seems solid, yes I would use it without a backup. The finish will wear off with lots of playing because I saw the wear and tear on youtube. I think that is to be expected with an unlaminated acoustic though (not sure). // 10

Overall Impression: I couldn't be more happy. I bought it on a whim from musicians friend without even playing it, after hours at my local guitar shop. Taylor 110, Big Baby, Baby, and the Takamine 330s were my options, and I would never trade for any of them. Seems like a guitar ~$1000, in all honesty. Would replace it in a heartbeat, what an amazing instrument! // 10

S6 Original Reviewed by: loveisonthedole, on april 24, 2012

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: Going by the serial number, I think this guitar was made in the 80s or early 90s. I bought it off eBay about 5 years ago with a hardcase from a pawnshop in California. I sure feel bad for whoever had to pawn this. It has a solid Cedar top, it has aged and is now a rich tobacco sort of brown. It had hardly been played as far as I can tell. The back and sides are a laminate Wild Cherry I believe. Has a really great looking grain to it. Fretboard, not sure, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Rosewood? It's a bit lighter than that found on a normal guitar, and very beautiful. // 10

Sound: I play Folk and blues on my S6 and it is the best sounding guitar I have ever played. It's like being in love (bear with me). I know there's Martin's and Taylor's out there, and everyone seems to agree that they're the paradigm of beauty, nay, perfection. But I have never even thought about looking at another Acoustic guitar - never mind picking one up in a shop and trying it out. The Seagull is my girl and she satisfies all my needs. When flat picking rich bass notes ring out over the strumming, finger picking sounds smooth and easy and I have strummed this bitch hard and never heard her buzz. From first fret on the low E to the last fret on the high e, everything rings out. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't think this was played much before I bought it so I imagine it's set up the way it came out of the workshop. Never had a problem with the action. You won't be able to play slide on this guitar (possibly with a glass slide and a light touch) without adjusting the action. The guitar is much smaller than a jumbo or dreadnought. It's made for fingerpicking and thoughtful playing, the neck is wider than most guitars so lots of space for picking out the strings and notes. Takes some getting used to at first but afterwards other guitar necks just feel too compact and crowded. Looks beautiful, but very understated. It's a working man's guitar, no thrills here - just solid craftsmanship. Mine doesn't have a scratchplate and looks better for it. It's scratched up a bit now from my plec but... Looks better for it. This guitar gets beaten up well. A dink just improves it's charm. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Once I tune this in, stretch the strings and tune again it NEVER goes out of tune. I've played it in open D, G and A and had no problems. I have snapped a string on this since the day I got it and that's the god's honest truth. The Cedar and Rosewood could do with some oil to prevent cracking (some slight cracking in first fret) but this is over 20 years old and spent a lot of time in California. I'd recommend a hardcase like all acoustic guitars. The back and sides won't dink but the top and neck are quite soft. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Dylan, Drake, Young, Guthrie, Donovan and this guitar kills. Everyone who has ever played it has commented on how good it is (I have friends who work in guitar shops and get to play Martin's and Taylor's all day and they agree this guitar is special). I also own a Tanglewood Acoustic, similar body with a cutaway and pick up. The Tanglewood is a nice guitar (300 new - I only have this because its my girlfriends and she doesn't play) but can't touch the Seagull. If this was stolen I would have to track it down. As the Cedar ages it adapts to your sound and becomes YOUR guitar. I would rather lose my Les Paul than this. Failing tracking it, I would buy it again. Full price this thing is a steal. Handmade in Quebec, Cedar top, expert craftsmen, eco-friendly and $500. Easily worth double. You can see how it's made on Seagull's website and they have very friendly staff if you send them an e-mail. // 10

S6 Original Reviewed by: krehzeekid, on june 18, 2012

Price paid: C$ 250

Purchased from: Avenue Guitars

Features: I bought my Seagull S6 almost 6.5 years ago, and it was used at the time that I bought it, so I'm really quite unsure of when it was made. It was made in Lapatrie Quebec, Canada. The town, though small knows guitars- almost half the population work in guitar manufacturing! This guitar really is a stunning deal for a North American made instrument, as I believe that they retail for under $500 new. The guitar is a dreadnought body shape, with no cutaway Anyways, the guitar features a solid Cedar top - a really nice touch for the price, - laminated Wild Cherry sides and back and a silverleaf maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard. The body is finished in a semi-gloss lacquer, and features dark brown binding and a generic rosette around the soundhole. The bridge is also made of rosewood. Otherwise, this guitar is unremarkable in virtually every single way. The nut and saddle are Graphtech Tusq pieces, and the tuners are Seagull branded, closed-back non-locking units. The included strap button (there is only one- something I hate on guitars) is a Schaller strap-lock compatible piece. Otherwise, the guitar has a dual adjustable truss-rod and pretty well nothing else. Like I said, unremarkable. While this guitar is not breaking any new ground anywhere, it does offer a decent selection of components, and very nice wood choices, for such a budget guitar. The fact that this guitar is hand-built in North American is just shocking for the price. // 7

Sound: I have had a chance to use this guitar for a very long time now, but this also means that mine has had a chance to age and open up a little bit tone-wise. Fortunately, I have a newer example (my brothers'- less than 6 months old) on hand so I can compare the two. For fingerpicked styles, the S6 is passable. It is reasonably loud and fairly even across all the strings, but the bottom end can be a little lacking and the treble can be very harsh. Hybrid pickers who use a pick and their fingers may find the punchiness of the top end coupled with the lesser bottom end to complement their style very well, but traditional fingerstyle players will find that the guitar just sounds a little unrefined. This isn't exactly unexpected at the price, but it is a little bit of a let-down. Strummed with a pick, the guitar is much improved. In standard dreadnought fashion, the guitar projects well and compresses somewhat the harder it gets strummed. This is actually quite a good thing, as the compression somewhat tames the high-end harshness noted earlier, balancing it better with the bottom end. That being said, the overall tone is on the bright side, but pleasant. Certainly, the guitar lacks the sophistication and nuance of a better guitar, but it isn't bad in any sense. In fact, the guitar is quite a bit more alive sounding than various other guitars costing much more. Essentially, this guitar is a little crude sounding but very alive. It isn't particularly sophisticated, nor is it the most pleasant sounding acoustic out there, but it is very successful in avoiding the flat, dead sound that plagues many cheaper acoustic guitars. Chords have good body, while single notes are bright and zippy. Compared to the newer guitar, my guitar has significantly more upper-mid and treble frequencies present. Additionally, the bottom end is a little bit looser than the new instrument. This is probably largely attributable to the gradual ageing of the top-wood in my guitar. The new guitar, though slightly muffled in comparison, is still a commendable sounding instrument considering the price tag. Overall, this guitar does not warrant a particularly high rating. It's not that its a bad guitar, the issue is that it isn't as good as other guitars. For the money, it is really quite good, depending on your needs. However, it simply cannot compete against other guitar that do not cost significantly more. That being said, this guitar hides its cost-conscious construction well, and it certainly outplays many of its direct rivals by a large margin. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Given that my guitar was used, I cannot comment on the factory set-up. However, the factory fret-work (since replaced on my guitar) was absolutely excellent on both examples that I have. There are no sharp edges, and the frets were nice and level. Otherwise, the build quality on my guitar was good, but not great. Everything was applied neatly, the finish was relatively consistent, there wasn't too much extra glue in the body, the rosette was nicely installed- you start to get the idea. Everything is done well, but nothing was done flawlessly. At this pricepoint, this is frankly commendable - most guitars in this price-bracket seem to have at least 1 major issue, depending on their manufacturer, so it is nice to see that Seagull managed to keep things consistent. On another note, this guitar is very easy to set-up and intonates quite well. The nut is cut properly and the compensated bridge works well to eliminate intonation issues. Additionally, the tuners, though cheap in-house units, are still working quite well. Kudos to Seagull on a well made guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Given that I've played this guitar for over 6 years, I have a very good idea of the durability of the instrument. My guitar has traveled across North America, been to Europe, New Zealand and Australia, so its pretty well been through hell. Structurally speaking, the guitar is still flawless. The bracing is still intact, the body shows no signs of cracking and the neck is still very easy to get proper relief out of. Additionally, the tuners are still working very well. I have absolutely no concerns as to the build quality of the guitar. I have, however, imparted some significant wear on the guitar. After just over 5 years, the frets were toast and had to be replaced. That really isn't half bad for a cheaper guitar. Additionally, I have worn through the finish on the neck and parts of the body, as well as wearing the wood around the soundhole to the point that the soundhole is now 1/2" wider than it was when the guitar was new. These are not unexpected consequences of abusing a guitar for 6+ years, and they really would not dissuade me from recommending the guitar to others. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said before, I've played this guitar for over 6 years and it has suited me very well. It's bullet proof and it plays reasonably well; it's not a Taylor or a Martin, but it definitely outplays much of it's direct competition. While the sound is unrefined, brash and rather rude, it is quite commendable that Seagull have avoided making a flat, dull and dead sounding budget guitar. While I would not buy another Seagull S6 I would certainly recommend them to anybody looking to spend $500 on an acoustic. I think that this guitar is one of the better made, better playing and better sounding guitars available for the price, and they hold up very well. Of course, this is not going to compete against higher end instruments, but as a fun guitar to play around on and to learn with, it is really quite good. // 7

More Seagull reviews rating category latest review
+ Entourage Rustic 9.4 Acoustic Guitars 10/27/2011