DG200CE Review

manufacturer: Soundsation date: 02/02/2011 category: Acoustic Guitars
Soundsation: DG200CE
Anyone who is looking for a good Acoustic guitar deal, go for Soundsation, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
 7.9
 6.8
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
DG200CE Reviewed by: zirga smeejiens, on february 02, 2011

Price paid: € 140

Purchased from: local shop

Features: "Soundsation?" you may ask. Indeed, I hadn't heard about this brand either until I started looking for a new Acoustic guitar. It is an Italian company founded in 2005 and supplying all kinds of music instruments, seemingly made in China, but with own design. I own a DG200CE/BK (black) version, here are the basic characteristics: Top: Spruce Back&sides: Catalpa Fretboard: Rosewood (648 mm) Machine Heads: Chrome Preamp: Belcat SNT-4 w/tuner (9V battery incl.) Other: Cutaway, XLR and 1/4" jack // 10

Sound: I am not a pro musician, though I am playing for some 7 years already. As my first criteria was the price (up to 200EUR), in my country there wasn't much of a choice, all starter models taken out. When it comes to sound this thing rocks. It performs much better than I had expected for this price tag and I truely recommend for upper amateur level. Given the features and connections, you could eventually use it also for some small gigs. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: My black version was the only colour available at the retailer, but it is produced with 3 more finishes. Pros: x Frets are pretty low, easy to play. x Great build quality on the inside x No flaws noticed (I own it for 1 month now) x Comes with fairly good quality strings x Mechanics/Tuner work well x Stays tuned for quite long Cons: x No solid top x The splices (top-sides-back) are in different colour. Apparently supposed to be white, but look yellowish from the start. Ruins a bit the overall looks from the outside. x Still clueless about country of origin (95% China I guess) My rating is 9, because of the splices and the black colour, I would have liked natural finish. Other than that, in my eyes a top contestant in the mid range. // 9

Reliability & Durability: All in all seems very solid. The colour might get scratched of course, but other than that it doesn't seem to break easily. My old classic guitar survived me for 7 years (and is still playable), this one looks even better built. I can surely imagine taking this one to a gig, pros would probably prefer something better. // 8

Overall Impression: I play all kinds of pop/rock/alternative. I've tried to hook it up with a guitar pedal and it sounds quite nice also for harder tunes. I can surely say that I am fully happy with my choice as it has outstanding price/performance ratio. Absolutely recommendable for beginners (also for the easy tuning), but perfectly usable for small gigs too. I've compared it also to the low end Takamine (250EUR) and some Yamaha of the same price. I would probably go for the Takamine, if it was 100EUR less expensive, but I prefer my DG200CE to the Yamaha. Conclusion: anyone who is looking for a good Acoustic guitar deal, go for Soundsation, you'll be pleasantly surprised. // 9

Comments