SA-100 Acoustic Starter Pack Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 03/20/2014 category: Acoustic Guitars
Squier: SA-100 Acoustic Starter Pack
The Squier Acoustic Starter Pack includes everything you need to get started playing guitar: Squier Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar, gig bag, pitch pipe, picks and a Fender instruction book.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.2
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.8
 Features: 8.7
 7.8
 8.2
 7.3
reviews (6) pictures (3) 22 comments vote for this gear:
SA-100 Acoustic Starter Pack Reviewed by: AMERICAN PRICK, on september 28, 2005

Features: This guitar is Chinese built. It has 22 frets, 14 of them accessible for comfortable playing. The frets are thin and seem to be a bit flat. Laminated spruce top, mahogany ply back and sides with a transparent gloss finish. Dreadnought style body with a standard pin style acoustic bridge made from plastic. Chrome tuners (Fender/Squier stock). I give this a seven in features because it comes with a strap, book, pitch pipe (which are use less if you are a beginner), picks, and leather effect bag. // 8

Sound: Good for Folk type playing and good enough to start open-position chords on. Good tone. The Strings are the factory strings, which should be changed as soon as possible. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything physically on the guitar is good, reasonable action for the beginning player. The guitar is what you get for your money it may last 5 years if you look after it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar does not hold well with the provided strap. Not a gigging guitar at all, better players might like this as a travel guitar if you can get a case for it. It's a good to just sit and play about with for a beginner anyway. // 7

Overall Impression: The guitar is good to start on and has everything you need to learn acoustic style playing. I have played several different acoustic guitars and this one is value for money. I love this guitar because it is what I started with and I will always love to play it (damn that was sentimental). // 9

SA-100 Acoustic Starter Pack Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 26, 2005

Features: This guitar is either Japanese or Mexican made. It has 20 frets, 14 of them accessible for comfortable playing. I belive it has a 25.5" scale. The frets are fairly thin and seem to be a bit flat. Laminated spruce top, mahogany ply back and sides with a transparent gloss finish. Dreadnought style body with a standard pin style acoustic bridge (plastic?) No electronics. Chrome tuners (Fender/Squier stock). I give this a 5 in features because it comes with a strap, book, pitch pipe, picks, and leather bag. // 10

Sound: Good for Folk type playing and good enough to start open-position chords on. Fairly good tone for price. Stock strings tend to lack mids, but can sound good with my preferred D'addario EXPs. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything physically on the guitar is good, but there were two hard to fix flaws right out of the box. I think the bridge might be some sort of plastic or nylon or something. It looks and feels like it. After about 5 months of tension with the stock strings, my bridge started to lift up. I think it will last about another 7 before the thing is unplayable. My other complaint is that the nut is very poorly cut, and if you're not playing carefully, the strings can easily cut into the nut and end up buzzing on the neck. Reasonable action for the beginning player. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar does'nt take damage too well, and doesn't hold well with the provided strap. Not a gigging guitar at all, better players might like this as a travel guitar if you can get a case for it. // 6

Overall Impression: I give this a 4 out of 5 overall. The guitar is good to start on and has everything you need to learn acoustic style playing for about 8 months, the guitar won't be in good shape by then. I would move up to an Ibanez from there to get to an intermediate level. Summary: recommended for starters and any electric players that wan't to step into the acoustic world. // 8

SA-100 Acoustic Starter Pack Reviewed by: BluesGuitar23, on august 18, 2007

Features: This guitar was made in china, perhaps estimate 2006. It's got 20 frets, fat neck, made of seemingly mahogany, and it's a solid top guitar. Its body is also mahogany, It's got a transparent top, and body of a dreadnought. It's got a regular acoustic bridge, I'm not sure what those are called, but with a plastic pin, and then you slip the ball of the string end in and yea, put the plastic pin back in. This is a active electronics company, and lots of people I know like the makes of Squier. It had a included gig bag, picks, and a music book. // 7

Sound: It really fis my style of music, a bluesy and mellow tone. it's very rich and bright in tone, very loud for such a cheap guitar. If I sometimes reconfigure the strings, or stuff, it can make kool music. The bends I make it are very pernounced, and tapping doesn't fade away very fast either. Problem is, the guitar is large and very bulky, and the accessablity to the higher frets are nearly impossible. The sound I recieve up there stink bad. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: It was made very well, capable of withstanding my continuous bangs and accidental drops. The guitar was made perfectly, boting wrong, but the saddle seems very primitively made. Chunks of it seemed to be missing, but it had no effect what so ever to my playing. It never let me down when I needed some good noise in a song. I usually can't hear people speaking to me when I use it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Yeah, this guitar can withstand Live playing, but itsnot really fit for Live, more for practice and play. All the pieces on the guitar are solid and whatever punishment it takes, the parts never seem to fall apart. I'd trust this guitar for playing to a large audience, but I would rather want this one as a back up. it's cheap and the tone is nothing compared to top makers like Ibanez, Gibson, and Epiphone. My finish doesn't wear off at all, and I doubt it will. // 8

Overall Impression: I play mainly just blues. Rock come with it, but mostly blues, so this guitar has the tone to match it all. I've been playing for 2 years, and I own a electric Peavey Predator international series, a target amp, and a old classical guitar that I still have not found Who made it. If I lost it, or if it broke, I'd get a new one, but I trust this guitar with my heart. it's very connected to my playing and I'm gonna treat it like a 25000 dollar guitar. Great guitar, super low price. I don't hate anything about this guitar. Nothing at all. I compared this to a Ibanez 300 dollar, and even though the Ibanez came on top, I'd rather have this Squier. I don't want anything else from this guitar. // 9

SA-100 Acoustic Starter Pack Reviewed by: hmma31595, on december 02, 2010

Purchased from: Marty's Music

Features: Feature wise, this guitar is not what I would call loaded with features, but comes with enough that it is a decent guitar in general, and a good starter guitar. This version came out January of 2010, and is the upgrade to the previous pack. The things included with this guitar are 20 frets, a 25.3" scale length, and the wood is laminate agathis back and sides, laminate spruce top, and rosewood fretboard and saddle. The finish is Gloss Polyurethane, dreadnought body shape, the ordinary joe schmoe look to it. No electronics, but does come with nice die cast chrome tuners, they don't go out of tune very often. This was a pack so it came with a Gig Bag, Electronic Tuner, Instruction Book, and some picks. // 8

Sound: The sound is pretty good for a cheap guitar, but does have some problems. There isn't very much bass to the sound, its not twangy either. So basically, you have an average sounding guitar, not bad, just...average. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was badly set-up, I mean really bad. When I bought it I had no idea what a set up was, so I never thought to get it done. You need to, the action is so bad that after 8 months of playing it, I don't have the size callouses you should because they wear off so quickly. Other than that, the strings lasted awhile, and were decent sounding, just stock Fender coated phosphorous. // 4

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is durable, and withstands a beating from going from place to place all the time. Its a solid piece of equipment and is a good guitar to be used for a gig, its reliable well enough, I don't really worry about it. The finish is pretty long lasting too, with only getting scratches from the worst falls or being drug around by a 2 year old all around the house. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a good starter guitar, and I will keep it for awhile. It sounds better than guitar three times its price, but after that I would recommend another guitar. I've played it for 8 months and can honestly say that if you want to start playing guitar, you should look into this, just also get a set-up. If it were lost, I wouldn't get another unless it was for old times sake. If you've been playing for a few years and need a new acoustic, look into something a little more pricey, this probably isn't for you. // 6

SA-100 Acoustic Starter Pack Reviewed by: jeffo46, on march 17, 2014

Features: This is a, I presume a, 2012 or 13 package which was made in China. It came with a electronic tuner, strap, extra set of strings, and a truss rod adjustment tool. The guitar itself, has a I'm guessing, spruce laminate and body with a maple neck & rosewood fret board along with 20 frets. The tuners are die cast which are a welcomed change from when they used to make these with the dreaded chrome covered pieces of shit that would never stay in tune. The weight on this guitar is actually quite comfortable and is definitely worth the price. // 10

Sound: I recently sold all of my gear a few months ago because after 40 years, I was just sick and tired of the band scene and dealing with egos, so now I just wanted to go the Acoustic route. I actually like the sound of this guitar once, I took the stock strings off of it, and replaced them with a new set of D'Addario Acoustic 10's. That alone, made a major improvement. To me, this guitar has a nice full sound and is good enough to use for small gigs. Whether I am strumming, picking, or doing some leads with it, it just sounds damn good. I love it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was quite high but was fixable with the use of the truss rod allen wrench which came with the guitar. Within minutes, I was able to get the action to a height that I was quite comfortable with. Some folks have complained about these guitars having poorly cut fret edges, but that must've been the older models which had the chrome covered tuners. The frets on my model were set just right with no buzz at all. The stock tuners keep this in tune with no problems at all. Other than the string height, I could not find any flaws at all with this guitar, none! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Right now, I am in the process of forming a acoustic duo that'll be performing at restaurants and small clubs, etc. And this guitar should have no problem handling live playing. Squier has really upped the quality of their product within the last few years and this guitar is no exception. I think it's now discontinued which is a shame because for the price I paid, I got a real good deal here. The only extras I went and bought were some new strings, polish, and a new Fender Gig Bag for the guitar. I think this guitar will last a while. // 10

Overall Impression: As I mentioned earlier, I am now concentrating on strictly acoustic material, meaning easy listening, classics, and some blues as well. This guitar can handle all of that with ease. I know a lot of people like to knock the Squier brand but, they have to realize that it's the player and not the guitar, that'll make a instrument sound like shit. I got a great deal with this and down the line, I do intend to upgrade to probably, a Fender higher grade acoustic, but for now, I'm very content with my Squier SA-100. If you're a beginner or on a budget like me, then this is definitely worth the money. // 10

SA-100 Acoustic Starter Pack Reviewed by: jeffo46, on march 20, 2014

Features: Mine is a Chinese made model which was made in 2013 according to the serial number that is inside the guitar. I know these are now discontinued, so I'm assuming that mine was probably the last of the ones that were produced? It was part of a Squier Acoustic Starter Package which included a Electronic tuner, a extra set of Fender Acoustic 12 gauge strings, a strap, and a gig bag which isn't really all that good. Thank god, I have a actual Fender gig bag on order. The guitar itself, has 20 medium frets, Die cast tuners, a Spruce laminate top, Agathis body, and Maple neck w/Rosewood Fretboard. // 9

Sound: Actually contrary to what the haters say, this is not a bad sounding acoustic at all. Once you slap on a new set of strings, it sounds pretty damn good. I've been playing for over 40 years (mostly on electric) and this is my 1st acoustic that I've owned since 1975 and I am quite pleased with it. I'm just playing it straight with no amps or effects at all. After being in bands for over 36 plus years, I've decided to go the Acoustic route and wanted to go with something on the cheap seeing that I'm on a low budget. This guitar has a really nice tone to it once you put a set of say, D'Addario's or Martins on it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The neck on this definitely needed to be adjusted because the string action was very high. Plus, I took off the saddle and sanded it down a bit as well in order to lower the action too. Other than that, there were absolutely no flaws at all. No fret edges sticking out, no fret buzz, no scratches or anything of the such. The tuning pegs were adjusted just right and didn't need tightening at all. The nut is fine considering that it's made out of Plastic. The stock tuners on this guitar do a great job of maintaining tuning stability which is astonishing for a guitar of this price range. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The strap buttons are very solid on this and the stock hardware looks like it'll last a long time with no problems at all. I do have a new Fender Gig Bag coming in this week, so the one that came with it, which is nothing more than a piece of vinyl, is going in the sh-tter. I could see myself using this at a gig with absolutely no problem at all. Squier has been putting out some amazing product for the last few years and this package is no exception. I don't see why it was discontinued because I feel that I definitely got my money's worth and then some. // 9

Overall Impression: Now I am playing mostly Blues, Americana, and some Classic Rock thrown in for good measure and this baby gets the job done IMO. If this was stolen would I buy another one? I would probably upgrade to a Fender FA-100 seeing now that they're within the same price range that I paid for this, but I'm not complaining at all. Maybe I will still get that Fender and use them both. I know these packs are still available online at places like eBay, Fingerhut, local music retailers, etc, so if you are a beginner or are on a low budget and want a good sounding acoustic for a low price, then you can't go wrong with the Squier SA-100 Acoustic Package. I honestly stand by that 100%. // 9

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Vintage Modified Telecaster Custom 6.8 Electric Guitars 10/28/2014