SA-105CE Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 06/14/2013 category: Acoustic Guitars
Squier: SA-105CE
This guitar sound good unplugged and even better in an acoustic amp or PA. It has a rich, full warm tone that even the factory strings can't spoil.
 3.7
 7.4
review (1) pictures (5) 1 comment vote for this gear:
SA-105CE Reviewed by: steelstring18, on june 14, 2013

Purchased from: Thomman

Features: This guitar has very little features that are really worth mention. It has a cheap plastic bridge, laminated spruce top, plastic pins, chrome tuners and ebony fretboard. Large single cut-away on the guitar. The only features that I was impressed by on this guitar was the Fishman electro acoustic panel and pickups. They still don't sound great unless unless you have an acoustic amp or PA. It came with a gig bag, tools, cable, picks and tuner. The feautures on this guitar don't cut it but considering this price, you get what you payed for. // 5

Sound: This acoustic guitar suits the acoustic "Ben Howard" style music I want to play. It sound good unplugged and even better in an acoustic amp or PA. It has a rich, full warm tone that even the factory strings can't spoil. However, when I play it clean (on the acoustic setting) through my small Fender G-DEC Junior amp (15 watt), it begins to sound like a cheap strat with a tone that is too bright or too bassy. It is a noisy guitar until it is turned up. When loud, through a good amp, this guitar can make a lovely rich, full tone. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I expected the guitar to be better set up than it was, considering it was from the best music store in Europe. The action was reasonable but not the standard I expected from Thomann, I have thought about getting it done but its too expensive for such a cheap guitar. I chose it in Black because I didn't want the cheap looking sunburst or "fake looking natural". The guitar looks good but you can see that the wood is laminated and cheap. The tunings pegs are awful! The string constantly snaps at the tuning peg when the tunings are changed. The factory strings rust quickly and need to be changed. And the pegs need regular oiling or they will get too tight. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I take this guitar with me everywhere. I play live Concert and record myself. On public transport or in car! This guitar, like most Squiers, can survive anything. I changed the strap buttons to locks so I don't know whether the pin is good. The hardware has had no problems. In fact, I don't actually know where the pick up is! I don't need to. It doesn't break. Even with the cheap parts the craftsmanship on the guitar is great and is perfect for live shows and constant use. I will never need a backup guitar at a gig with this! Its perfect for my live performances. // 10

Overall Impression: I play acoustic music FULL STOP. Any style, any artist. I have never found a song that I think "Oh I can't play that on this guitar!" I don't regret buying his guitar. I compared this to the Epiphone DR range and chose this one because of the electro acoustic capabilities. However, if you do not plan to use this for live electro acoustic performances, I recommend the Fender CD-60 and the Epiphone DR-100. All in the same price range! Similar guitar just they have better hardware but no electro acoustic capabilities. // 8

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Vintage Modified Bass VI 8.1 Bass Guitars 08/04/2014