SD2 Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 09/12/2007 category: Acoustic Guitars
Squier: SD2
Squier acoustic guitar, spruce top merranti back and sides. Great beginners guitar.
 5.9
 7.8
review (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
SD2 Reviewed by: Gnomestar, on september 12, 2007

Purchased from: Zenith

Features: Made in China, it has a fairly thin neck with 20 fret rosewood fingerboard. The body is entirely agathis with a satin finish. It has chrome tuners, a plastic bridge and a dreadnought shaped body. I recieved a cheap bag with the guitar when purchased that can't be worth mroe than $5. // 7

Sound: My musical tatses lie in the realm of hard rock, grunge and alternative sort of area but I like lots of music in the rock domain, however this guitar was purchased for my girlfriend who likes more pop rock, pop and funk. This guitar has a nice bluesy, raw and full sound, it handles playing rock music quite nicely but it really shines when you playing blues, Start strumming some Johnny Cash or other bluesier acoustic music and you could easily imagine you're playing a far more expensive guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Well the guitar is fine, I wouldn't have bought my girlfriend a guitar if it wasn't set up correctly, the intonation is all correct, the action is great and no fret buzz. There were no noticable problems with the guitar and none have appeared since it was purchased 6 months ago except for problems with the bridge. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I mentioned previously there were problems with the bridge, being that it is made of plastic it started to crack due to the pressure from the strings, however the guitar has a 1 year warrant so I took it back and the cheap plastic was replaced with a sturdier counterpart. The finish is nice and should last, I don't gig however if I were to I would trust this guitar to do its job. // 6

Overall Impression: This guitar, in my opinion, really was a good choice, it's a really nice beginners guitar and if I were to lose my acoustic I'd probbaly get one of these to replace it, The sound is good and it certainly performs better than a guitar of it's price range should. I've been playing for about a year and a half and I play a Yamaha electric (which I love) and acheap classical guitar, I really wanna swap with my girlfriend haha. If it were stolen or lost I'd definately buy another it's not too expensive and well worth it, The thin neck is a real bonus my girlfriend finds it a bit easier to play as it suits the size of her hand, she also loves the look, I wasn't so fussed with it's look but she thinks it looks really nice. I played it agasint a Yamaha acoustic which costs about $280, I liked the sound of the squire more and I before I tried them I was going to buy the Yamaha as I'm a Yamaha fan but the SD2 blew me away. So anyway, this is a great beginner guitar, I seriously recommend to those who are just starting or even intermediate players after a backup acostic or who need a new one. // 9

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Standard Strat 7.5 Electric Guitars 08/25/2014