DG160 Review

review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
DG160 Reviewed by: Hunter2081, on july 27, 2011

Price paid: € 60

Purchased from: Waltons Ireland

Features: I'm not too sure what year it was made, I guess it was made in China or somewhere that wouldn't particulary thrill me. It has a basswood top, back and sides, nato neck, immitation grover-style tuners, graphtech nubone nut. It came with no accesories. The finish on mine is a tobacco sunburst finish, which looks slightly red. But overall looks quite good. // 6

Sound: I mostly use this guitar when I'm on the road, or if I'm teaching guitar. I only really use it so that I can keep my more expensive guitars in good condition. The tone of this guitar could only be described as mid heavy in my opinion. Not overly trebely like most cheap guitars in this price range, but particulary great either. It's a serviceable sound that I use for songwritting, and although not great, still holds it's own to the point of bearing a pleasureable writting tool while on the road. Overall, it has a decent sound for the price. The key words being for the price. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The set-up was actualy quite decent, with reasonably level action throughout. My only complaint was that quite a few of the frets were sharp, but other then that the guitar I recieved was in quite good working order. The top is quite well done. There's a very subtle line runnnig through the finish, but it's nothing compared to, let's say an Epiphone Les Paul+ Top. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could probably withstand live playing, however I would have more Faith in my takamine. The hardware probably wouldn't last. Although it holds tune very well, and always has, the tuners are rather plasticy, I have a feeling that they will wear out within the next year or so (but in fairness, I play about 3/4 hours of guitar each day). The finish is a bit thin. Which I found out after accidentaly throwing a mic at it. I covered the chip with a sticker though lol. It's not a finish that will leave you down per say, you just need to take care of it and not abuse it. // 6

Overall Impression: I mostly try to play things in the vain of Newton Faulkner and Jason Mraz, as I'm a solo accoustic player and singer. I've been playing manicly for four and half years (to the point where I can outplay most people with twice my experience). I only bought this guitar a year ago as a beater guitar that I could take on my travels and not really care about. For that it has served well, and then some. If it was stolen I would probably buy this model again, as it's cheap and hasn't let me down. I compared it to a few Yamaha's that were on sale, and at the time the slim fretboard of the SX, and the cheap price, appealed to me. I don't particulary regret this as the sound of this guitar matches most lower end Yamaha's. Overall, so long as you don't expect miracles and abundant tone, but want a cheap guitar to depend on, then this is the guitar for you. // 7

More SX reviews rating category latest review
+ Furrian Telecaster Clone 8.6 Electric Guitars 05/29/2014