DG1K/II Review

manufacturer: SX date: 09/25/2012 category: Acoustic Guitars
SX: DG1K/II
This specific guitar is in the Dreadnought style. This guitar is purely acoustic and has no electronics straight out of the box. This is a guitar for quiet strumming or Unplugged LP's.
 3.4
 6.8
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
DG1K/II Reviewed by: RockstarAdam, on september 25, 2012

Purchased from: Marshall Music South Africa

Features: Please bear with me on the syntax of the guitar; I'm not an expert on that yet. The SX DG1K/II/BK is a black acoustic guitar with ivory-colored trim around the edges, soundhole and on the bridge. The body of the guitar is spruce and the back and sides are basswood. There are 20 frets with markers on the 5th, 7th, 9th, 12th, 15th and 17th frets. The wood is a dark brown and the frets are nickel. The neck is made of natowood The nut is an ivory color. The base of the bridge is a dark brown wood - the same as the neck. The machine heads are chrome and are placed with 3 on each side of the head. On the reverse side of the head, there is an "SX" on the back of each machine head. The fingerboard and bridge is the same black as the rest of the guitar but is made of rosewood. The pegs in the bridge are white with black dots. At the top of the head there is an SX design. This specific guitar is in the Dreadnought style. This guitar is purely acoustic and has no electronics straight out of the box. The strings are steel. When I purchased this guitar, it came with 6 guitar picks, a pitch pipe, DR Tuner string winder, an instructional DVD and a strap although the guitar has no knobs to attach a strap to. It also came with a guitar bag and a stand. This is all wonderful but I would have really enjoyed a place to add a strap to my guitar instead of around the base of the head. // 8

Sound: Personally (Remember that! Personally!), I love Grunge and I honestly don't think this guitar really helps that. It makes a great sound, but not quite right for any real rock music. On the other hand it sounds great for any James Blunt fans out there. Snce this guitar is purely acoustic, there are no electronics to use it with unless you take it to be edited. Its not especially noisy and cannot really be heard in a band practice unless you are playing Triad chords. It is possible to play rock music and to get it to sound fairly decent although it is not possible to fully capture the sound. It can play Reggae relatively well and emulates most Bruno Mars songs quite well and rasguado sounds great on it as well, but not really a rock guitar. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: As far as I can tell (not very far), this guitar has no visible flaws in design. There is nothing aesthetically wrong with this specific guitar. It falls out of tune rather quickly and can be an absolute bugger to tune back in but apart from that, it's quite good. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has no real long term problems. At three years old this guitar has only a few bumps and bruises from careless carryin but that's it. Over a two-and-a-half year period a grand total of 6 strings have snapped, but then again that's not directly the fault of the guitar. None of the equipment has failed/broken as yet and it doesn't look as if anything will happen anytime soon. Once again I need to say that the strings fall out of tune after a full day of sitting alone in my room, so that's annoying. I would depend on this guitar if I needed to, but I honestly don't think it could stand an LP since it's volume is so low. There is no real wear and tear apart from when I accidentally knock it against the wall/doorway. It's durable but too quiet. Might need an amp if you're willing to pay for the upgrade. // 6

Overall Impression: I play Grunge/Punk but this guitar does not really match up with that at all. This is a guitar for quiet strumming or Unplugged LP's. I really wish I could have asked to see the guitar before I bought it because I would have seen the lack of strap knobs. I've had a guitar since I was 7 (its neck snapped) and have been seriously into guitar for 3 years (coincidentally when I got this guitar). Honestly if I lost this guitar or anything happened to it, I would move on to an electric guitar or something with a more grunge-y feel to it. I do like the sound of it but the tuning is horrible. If I could add anything to this guitar, I would add in strap knobs and a built-in electronic dashboard. In short, if you like chilled, quiet music, buy it. If you don't, move on. // 7

More SX reviews rating category latest review
+ Furrian Telecaster Clone 8.6 Electric Guitars 05/29/2014