D20 Review

manufacturer: Takamine date: 12/23/2013 category: Acoustic Guitars
Takamine: D20
This guitar has a very warm and bright tone, also has a full sound. It plays well with my style and it's very loud. The tone is evenly balanced, no fretbuzz, no buzz when I strum it hard. Too great for a 172-dollar guitar huh?
 9.5
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
D20 Reviewed by: arjuhama, on december 23, 2013

Purchased from: JB Music Philippines

Features: It is mass produced up until now, so I think mine just got made around last month from Korea. It has a 25-inch mahogany neck with medium jumbo frets, it has a solid Englemann spruce top with solid mahogany back and sides with a body depth of about 4-5 inches. Polyurethane finish. It is a dreadnought shape with a rosewood bridge... No pickup and any electronics. It has die-cast chrome locking tuners. When I got it, the action was perfect and the strings were awesome, right out of the box. It has a black ply/plastic pickguard, and its available colors are natural and sunburst. // 10

Sound: I play acoustic songs, rock songs in acoustic, and Filipino songs in acoustic. I do strumming, hard strumming, and fingerpicking. It has a very warm and bright tone, also has a full sound; also, it sounds better than my friend's Yamaha FG700s. It plays well with my style and it's very loud (to the point that my neighbors can hear me playing it). The tone is evenly balanced, no fretbuzz, no buzz when I strum it hard, especially with an E minor. Too great for a 172-dollar guitar huh? For me, it sounds so good that I recommend this guitar for enthusiasts, intermediate players, and also for beginners. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I think the guitar shop sets them up as soon as the delivery man gives them the guitars, because as soon as I opened them up, they already sound perfect... And the action is also perfect. No flaws on this guitar, man. Takamine certainly did a good job. It fits me just fine for my reach, height, and size, even though people have been saying that it looks a bit big for me. (I'm 5'8) The feel when you strum the guitar is the same when I tried the shop's Martin out. It's fast and easy to move up and down from the frets, easy to do fingerpicking, and the sustain is good that I can tap another note even after 5 seconds I strummed it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Played this at a small venue the other night, didn't have a pick up so I had to use a mic. And hello? SOLID Englemann spruce, one of the employees said he bought this two years ago, strums it hard like you do with an electric guitar, made it accidentally fall twice, and all it has are hairline scratches from all the strumming. Strap buttons are solid and are coated gold... Or is it really gold? Of course I can depend on it without a backup, if there is going to be any backup, it's another one of these babies. Yep, the finish is good enough to last until I get married... or maybe even until I die. I'm just 15. // 10

Overall Impression: Too bad for the western costumers, it is only available in South East Asia, Australia, and East Asia. I hope Takamine realizes that the world needs to recognize the power of the D Series. I have been playing for 9 months, but I got this guitar just last week as a Christmas gift. If it is to to be stolen, realistically speaking, my mom will kill me. But yeah, it's worth buying another one of these again. I love everything about it, and it's the perfect match to my playing style. Compared it to a Yamaha FG700s, FG730s, and a Martin D18, but I still went for this one. Killer. B) // 10

More Takamine reviews rating category latest review
+ G440C 9.3 Acoustic Guitars 09/13/2013