EG523CDX-HB Review

manufacturer: Takamine date: 03/16/2012 category: Acoustic Guitars
Takamine: EG523CDX-HB
So this thing has got a Jumbo body, Flamed maple body Solid spruce top, I really love flamed maple. This thing sounds really great!
 Reliability & Durability: 3.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 5.3
 6.9
 5.1
 8.7
reviews (3) pictures (3) 2 comments vote for this gear:
EG523CDX-HB Reviewed by: christianfs1, on june 16, 2011

Purchased from: Amazon.com , through ShopUsa.com

Features: So this thing has got a Jumbo body, Flamed maple body Solid spruce top, I really love flamed maple, so I'm one really happy chap about this one! It's got the traditional dovetail neck joint, and a maple neck! With a 25-5/16" scale! Rosewood bridge and fretboard, the bridge is stringed through the back of the bridge, further to the saddle and to the nut. It's neck is asymmetrical, somewhat reminiscent of a Les Paul neck shape! It's got 20 (medium jumbo?) frets, with a CP 100 bridge pickup and equalizer, a TK-40 preamp! With treble, mid and low control, notch filter, equalizer in/out and tuner! Everything runs off a 9 volt battery. Gold and pearl tuners, which is very easy to use. Gold hardware. Gloss finish. // 10

Sound: This thing sounds really great! I was thinking about buying some other guitars, like an Epiphone masterbilt, or an ESP exotic-wood. But this one got the upper hand. It actually sounds alot smaller than it really is, with it's relatively quick response, and big volume! This thing is really loud, I tell ya! It's really well suited for strumming, but it can do fingerpicking too. I actually thought it was gonna suck at fingerstyle, but it obviously didn't! The lows are of course very big, not a whole lot of mids, but plenty of treble. I can actually do artificial/pinch harmonics on this thing! A nice full, rich sound, but not too rich. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It was setup really well actually, I don't feel the need to adjust it. The action is nice and low, just the way I like it! The pickups were adjusted just fine! Everything on this bad boy was well made and constructed, so I'm one lucky guy I guess! The only thing I don't like is the strings; they arent' that crisp, and lacks volume, but I'll get that fixed as soon as I feel the urge to. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'm sure it'll do just fine live, no doubt there. But I have some concerns about carrying it to school, with all these hyperactive kids everywhere, it could easily break. But that is a part of having any Acoustic anyway! I actually haven't tried the strap buttons yet, but they feel pretty sturdy. The finish seems to be able to take whatever I throw at it, so I'm pretty confident it'll last my whole life. I'll never replace this, and if I had to get a backup, I'd get another one of these, or an Epiphone masterbilt, they seem pretty nice too. It's nice with some variation! // 8

Overall Impression: I play a bit of everything, from naughty schoolyard songs to emotional ballads to reggae, so I'm pretty open minded so to speak! And so my guitar have to be versatile too, and it IS! To words: GET THIS (if you don't have an Acoustic you love already)! // 9

EG523CDX-HB Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 05, 2011

Purchased from: Craigs music

Features: Bought in 2010. The Takamine has a really big body, so big that after playing it for an extended period of time at a gig I tended to get blisters on my arm where it rested against me. The pickup system on the guitar was really good and bright and the battery lasted for ever. It didn't come with any case or accessories. The flamed maple back and sides are really pretty and nice to look at and really contributes to the sound // 9

Sound: I play in an acoustic band and a Folk band so I cover finger picking and strumming,, the guitar does both really well and has a rich deep sound, the treble control is very touchy though and can cause lots of feedback. Overall I think it could be brighter when not plugged in. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought the guitar everything was fine. There was nothing wrong at all with the guitar but I must say the finish is very thin and easy to damage. Even dropping a lead onto the top cracks the finish. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Very bad. After about 8 months the neck has warped towards the body making the guitar unplayable. This cannot be fixed and I am taking the guitar back to my dealer today in hope of getting a refund. In my opinion its probably worth saving up and getting a Martin instead. // 1

Overall Impression: I wouldn't go near one again. // 1

EG523CDX-HB Reviewed by: Peter Dutton, on march 16, 2012

Features: Takamine EG523SC electric/acoustic should be re-called the fix the fault in the bridge saddle adjustment system. All potential guitar buyers please be advised, stay clear of this model Takamine guitar. This guitar looks great but sounds like a dead piece of wood. // 5

Sound: I have had this guitar for three years, in that time it has always sounded dull and lifeless. Being a beginner at the time of purchase I always blamed myself as a beginner. But I bought another guitar at approximately the same time for a fraction of the price of the Takamine. (The brand is not important as I am not giving this review to plug any another brands, just to warn people of the fault in this Takamine guitar). This other brand plays well and sounds lovely. I tried different strings on the Takamine but it always sounded dull, not what you would expect from a $1000 dollar guitar. I found using light gauge strings were easier to play with but I was getting fret buzz. I was shocked to find that in order to raise the bridge to fix the fret buzz I had to stack another shim on the already three that were under the bridges. I had finally found the answer to the question why this guitar sounded lifeless. It defies all logic to get the best acoustics you need the saddles in direct contact with the bridge and body of the guitar, not stacked up on four "shims" I believe other owners of this model guitar have voiced their concerns about this poor example of design on other sites. But they were lucky to still be within the warranty period and sent the guitars back. I am not that lucky. // 1

Action, Fit & Finish: I believed that the brand Takamine was a reputable company and that was why I purchased the guitar in the first place but I question the ethics of a company that would sell an expensive guitar knowing that this fault existed. Remember this guitar was shipped out of the factory with three shims under the bridge saddles to gain the necessary height to play the guitar without fret buzz. What happens in the future when and if the bridges need raising even further as the saddles are near the top of the recesses in the bridge already. If Takamine was truly the reputable company I thought they were they would recall this model and have the bridge saddles replaced with ones of the correct height so the "shims" can be removed and hopefully the guitar will sound as it should. I wait to hear from Takamine. In the mean time I have sourced a manufacturer who can make saddles at the correct height. They have advised me the sound difference will be a pleasant surprise. Please remember the workmanship on this guitar is fine the problem is the poor acoustics due to the poor design of the saddle adjustment. I believe Takamine no longer use this system on adjustment on the bridge saddles, I wonder why. // 1

Reliability & Durability: Too ashased to bring it out in public. Therefore it will last a long time in its case. All potential guitar buyers please be advised, stay clear of this model Takamine guitar. If Takamine was truly the reputable company I thought they were they would recall this model and supply and fit saddles that fit without the use of shims. // 1

Overall Impression: All potential guitar buyers please be advised, stay clear of this model Takamine guitar. I believed that the brand Takamine was a reputable company and that was why I purchased the guitar in the first place but I question the ethics of a company that would sell an expensive guitar knowing that this fault existed. Remember this guitar was shipped out of the factory with three shims under the bridge saddles to gain the necessary height to play the guitar without fret buzz. What happens in the future when and if the bridges need raising even further as the saddles are near the top of the recesses in the bridge already. If Takamine was truly the reputable company I thought they were they would recall this model and have the bridge saddles replaced with ones of the correct height so the "shims" can be removed and hopefully the guitar will sound as it should. I wait to hear from Takamine. In the mean time I have sourced a manufacturer who can make saddles at the correct height. They have advised me the sound difference will be a pleasant surprise. I have noticed this guitar is still being sold world wide, do not buy this guitar without the saddles being corrected. // 1

More Takamine reviews rating category latest review
+ D20 9.5 Acoustic Guitars 12/23/2013