G240 Review

manufacturer: Takamine date: 02/03/2007 category: Acoustic Guitars
Takamine: G240
The body of the guitar features a gloss-finish spruce top with nato-mahogany stained sides. Chrome tuning machines provide a bright accent. The professionally tapered neck and radius fingerboard allows for ease of play and contributes to the fine tone. This is an instrument for the serious student or hobbyist or for the electric guitarist who wishes to play some acoustic as well.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 6.7
 7.5
 7.9
 7.1
reviews (3) 7 comments vote for this gear:
G240 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 18, 2005

Purchased from: Mars Music

Features: Made in 1999, solid top, dreadnought accoustic with pickup. Came with a basic tone and volume slide, nothing too fancy. Standard chrome tuners (again, nothing fancy). Store gave me a strap and strap clip (does not have strap button on neck). // 8

Sound: I play for church, so it's pretty basic stuff, but this guitar did it's job. When I played accoustically, it sounds pretty decent for a 200 dollar guitar. When you plug in, it was pretty hollow, so I bought a DigiTech effects pedal to better EQ it and it sounded pretty good. If I had to do it over, I would buy it without pickup and either put in an aftermarket or a higher quality guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Set up wasn't too bad, but I had never played before, so I really don't know the difference. It looked great out of the box, especially for $200. It's obviously warn over the years, I played the heck out of it, but I still get a decent sound for writing and playin around the house. I don't use it anymore for on stage (I upgraded last spring). // 7

Reliability & Durability: I played it every Sunday for the past 6 years with little problems, other than those already stated. One thing I would change is there is no second strap button, so you need a strap string around the neck, which I don't mind because the weight of the guitar is distributed better, but I did drop it once because of the string. The coating around the soundhole has started to wear, but I'm a heavy strummer, so I expected that. // 8

Overall Impression: I bought this guitar for $200 with one purpose: to learn how to play for my church, which it has done and done well. I loved it so much, when it came time to upgrade (spring 2005), I bought another Takamine (EG541), so that should say something. I would recommend this guitar to any beginner due to the quality and accoustic sound for the money. Just don't expect too much from the pickup. // 8

G240 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 18, 2005

Purchased from: Wally's Guitar Shop

Features: This guitar was made in Indonisa. It has a 20 fret rosewood fretboard with an adujustable neck and a spurce top with mahogany back and sides. I believe the neck is mahogany too. It has a natural satin finish. It's a dreadnought body with no eletronics. It has non-locking chrome tuners the pick guard has the Takamine name all over it. // 6

Sound: I personaly like emo and post hardcore. Yes it is hard to play on an acoustic, but hey I get by. Its a reather loud gutiar and the low E often sounds very rubery. Also the strings are very scratchy and if your playing something where you move your hand a lot on the same set of strings its very obvious (try playing Emily by From First To Last and you will understand). It's great for strumings and you could play small gigs easily as it has a full loud sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar had no visible flaws too it. It plays great but the strings aren't the best. I sugest chaging them to a softer set. The finish is nice but I would rather not have the pickguard flash out Takamine all over it. // 4

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is pretty solid, but the finish chips and cracks easily. Their is only a strap button on the bottom, so you have to tie the top of the strap around the headstock, and tight at that or use a small string without little shoe lace ends. They can get lose and interfere with your fingering ablity. The pickguards little design seems to rub off after a while, and gets wavy looking after a few months. // 4

Overall Impression: This guitar is great for struming chords or for playing different acousitic songs such as Emily by From First To Last or Autumn Monologue by From Autumn To Ashes. I've only been playing for 5 months, and this is my first and only guitar. I would love this guitar a lot if it had softer strings. The stock ones are just to hard and loud for me. If it were lost I might buy it later on, but for now I'm focusing all my money towards buying an Ibanez guitar pack. I'm rather small and don't perticuarly like the large body. Other than that, its a great guitar and I love every second it's in my hands. // 8

G240 Reviewed by: kensana24, on february 03, 2007

Features: Okay, this is a 2005 Takamine G series guitar, Made in Korea, features include tuner and equilizer built in, it's an acoustic-electric guitar, it plays very good and I am very staisfied with it. It was a suprise, my father was playing it when my mom said "Hey come see what's going on on the TV, Paul McCartney is on" so I ran over because I am a huge mccartney fan, and what did I hear? A beautiful sound of an angel's acoustic. This guitar has the sound thta everyone wants to hear form an acoustic, I'm glad I got this. // 10

Sound: The sound for this is like a "Blackbird" by the Beatles, the sound is so high quality, that, like I mentioned, I broke a couple strings on accident because my little 2 year cousin got in my room and started turning the knobs and snap snap! So I rplaced all the strings so they'd be all by the same company, Martin. But when the original strings were on they sounded great, that's why I am doing this review, because I love this guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The pickups are adjust on the insie perfect, all the elctronics works great, and when I play on the amp I have it comes out as clean as it is unplugged. The bridge is great and the strings are wired properly. There are no flaws within the guitar, all the bracing is good, the finish of the guitar is clear and good, the tuner and equilizer work perfectly, although you have to change the battery for the tuner every couple months depending on how often you play the elcetric or tune it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is depenable to withstand Live playing, the hardware can last a longtime because it was made so good, the strap buttons are strong and safe enough for playing and that is very good. I can depend on it, I have had it for over a year, it is high quality. // 10

Overall Impression: This is great for the style of music I like, I like (for acoustics) the blues, old rock like the beatles' acoustic songs, Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, Niel Young, and other artists like that. I can say honestly, that if this was stolen or broken or lost, that I would seriously go out and buy another one just like it, because this guitar is so high quality. // 10

More Takamine reviews rating category latest review
+ D20 9.5 Acoustic Guitars 12/23/2013