G440C Review

manufacturer: Takamine date: 09/13/2013 category: Acoustic Guitars
Takamine: G440C
The classic combination of a spruce top and mahogany back and sides generates a warm, open sound that shines during solo work or vocal accompaniment.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.7
 Features: 8.7
reviews (3) pictures (1) 7 comments vote for this gear:
G440C Reviewed by: Shifty155, on april 30, 2007

Purchased from: Motor City Guitar

Features: This guitar was made in China, has 20 frets, rosewood fingerboard, mahogany sides and back, and has a spruce top. It's a laminated top, which is a shame, since I like solid-tops more. It's a cutaway body. The bridge is the standard acoustic bridge. The tuners are non-locking. // 8

Sound: The sound on this is amazing. If you're looking a for a rich full sound, you can't go wrong here. It suits my musical style, which is celtic, strumming chords, and pretty much any rock. It's a very bright, rich sound, and it is pretty noisy, even when you're playing quietly. The variety is great, one minute I'm strumming chords as hard as I can, the next I'm gently finger-picking. It sounds great all around. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was really good, not to low, but not annoyingly high. The only flaw I had with this was when I was tuning, I kept hearing a loud "creak" whenever I adjusted the B and e string. Don't know why, probably just gotta break'em in. Everything else seemed fine, though. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitely stand up to Live playing. It seems like it'll last quite a well. I'd go on a gig with this without a backup (with and electric too, of course). The finish seems fine. I wish it would've been a solid-top, though. The gloss doesn't have the look and feel that I like, but I can deal with it. // 9

Overall Impression: For my Zeppelin type acoustic playing, it fits perfectly. From "Friends" to "Bron-Y-Aur-Stomp", it sounds great all around. I've been playing for a year and a half and used to play an Ovation (that wasn't mine, I borrowed it). I like the sound of this better. If it was stolen or lost, I would have to get more money, then buy it again. I love the sound and the way the fretboard feels. The only negative is the tuning on B and e. I compared to it some Art & Lutheries, and while there was an A&L that I like more than this one, it was about 50 dollars more. The other A&L I compared it to was the Folk, which was more for classical music. I also tried a Gretsch, which I didn't like as much as this. All in all, a great first buy. // 9

G440C Reviewed by: guitarzero2634, on november 16, 2010

Purchased from: GuitarCenter.com

Features: This guitar was made in China. It has 20 frets. The top is laminated. The top is spruce, the back and sides are mahogany, rosewood fret board, the tuning keys are gold, abalone dot in-lays. Preatty sharp cutaway for an Acoustic guitar and non-locking tuners. // 8

Sound: I play mostly country and some balled (such as Goo Goo Dolls) and this guitar fits both those genres perfectly. It is a little loud when you use a pick (especialy when you have brand new strings put on it). I ussaly use my fingers to strum and pick and that calms it down a bit. When your tuning the G, B and high E strings up you tend to get a ''sqeek'' form the tuners, but I'm preaty sure its normal for it to do that. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup on this guitar coudnt be any better. The action is just right not to high not to low. It has great tuning stabelity. I've had this guitar for about a year now and I haven't had any problems with it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Just going to let you know that I am not and never have been in a band, but tell you what, you CAN depend on this guitar, and if I had to I would play at a gig with this guitar without backup. Only problem is that it only has one strap button. So you ether need to get another one, or get a strap that clips on the headstock. // 9

Overall Impression: Been playing for 3 years now and I gotta say, it a NICE guitar. If I had already knew about it I wouldv asked for a nother set of strap buttons to be put in. Because theres only one on the bottem of the guitar and I perfur the strap to lock on the bottom and neck insted of the bottom and headstock. If I had the money, I WOULD buy it agian if it were stolen or lost and if it were acoutic-electric it would be ten times better! This guitar doesn't deserve $250, it deservs $600 beause it plays like one and I would recoment it to anybody! // 9

G440C Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 13, 2013

Purchased from: Craigslist

Features: The G440C NEX features a laminate spruce top for extended dynamic range and a rich harmonic content. Mahogany back and sides enhance resonance. Gloss finish adds durability and enduring beauty. I bought this guitar for $150 off of Craigslist from a college foreign exchange student who was going back to their country for the summer. It included a very nice hard case that I would value to at least $100. I think I got a pretty good deal :-) - Body Shape: NEX Cutaway - Top: Spruce - Back: Mahogany - Sides: Mahogany - Fingerboard: Rosewood - Bridge Rosewood - Tuners: Gold - Rosette: Abalone - Inlays: Abalone Dots - Finish (Top): Gloss Natural - Nut Width (IN/MMM): 42.5 mm // 10

Sound: The sound of this guitar is great. The only thing I would do is put thicker gauged strings on it. I went with a medium gauge, which sounds great, but I would like a little deeper drone when I drop D. I play mostly Irish/Scottish folk music and this guitar makes it sound great! You can pound out some powerful chords and you can also quiet it down very easily. The sound is crisp and clean with no buzzing in the strings. I bought this guitar because it was cheap, thinking I would take it into Guitar Center and trade it in for something new. After playing it, I changed my mind. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Since I got the guitar used and barely played, it seemed like a brand new guitar... Still had the original strings on it from the factory. The first thing I did was restring the guitar. The action is great, no buzzing anywhere. The finish is a gloss, which is beautiful. It had, and still has, no flaws. The tuners are some of the nicest tuners I have ever used. The guitar will be tuned and played, then it will sit for a week or 2, and when I pick up the guitar to play it again it is still in tune! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I do play this guitar in sessions as some local bars. It is definitely a guitar that you can hear. It also is a great guitar for accompaniment. The finish is very nice and seems to be holding up to my frequent playing great as it still looks brand new. This is a great guitar for home use, traveling, or even by the campfire. It will definitely hold up to your playing needs. The tuners are great, the frets are perfect... The guitar as a whole is just very well put together. It also has a truss rod to adjust if needed, although I have yet to need to use it. I currently have 5 guitars and could probably sell 4 of them since I really only play is this one. // 10

Overall Impression: With my Irish/Scottish folk playing, this guitar is the perfect instrument to give crisp, clean sound. The guitar is very easy to strum or finger pick. Having the cut away neck allows me to work all the way up the fret board, which is a must with jigs and reels! Anyone who plays this guitar will see what I am talking about. This is my first Takamine and it isn't my last. After purchasing this guitar I found a Takamine Jasmine on Craigslist for $50. It may be a cheap Takamine, but the quality of the guitar is amazing for the price. Takamine has my vote for some of the best quality for the money! // 10

More Takamine reviews rating category latest review
+ D20 9.5 Acoustic Guitars 12/23/2013