GS330S Review

manufacturer: Takamine date: 03/11/2013 category: Acoustic Guitars
Takamine: GS330S
Solid Cedar top acoustic guitar. Includes a free Takamine GC1128T hardshell guitar case.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.3
 8.4
reviews (3) pictures (1) 20 comments vote for this gear:
GS330S Reviewed by: smooth9825, on december 19, 2005

Purchased from: Parkway Music

Features: Made 2005, 20 frets (I think) rosewood fretboard, Cedar top. Satin finish. Dreadnought style. No electronics. Dot inlays. // 9

Sound: I play all sorts of styles of music and this guitar is great for all of em. I was having trouble deciding which guitar I wanted and as soon as I picked this one up I knew. This guitar is absolutely without a doubt the best guitar for the money. It has a really rich full sound and amazing tone. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action of the guitar was absolutely perfect as soon as I picked it up. No fret buzz at all anywhere, and the action was low enough to allow for easy playing. I could not find a single flaw on then entire guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing built solid and I would have no problems gigging with it. My only worry is that its a satin finish which doesn't quite protect as well as some finishes. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is the best acoustic I have ever played that is under 1500 dollars. I've been playing for a few years and I have had a few acoutics and electrics. So far, this is the best acoustic I have come upon. I compared this to a few other products, including another Takamine with a gloss finish. This thing blew all other guitars out of the water. Trust me when I say you will not be disapointed with this guitar. // 10

GS330S Reviewed by: shadowkid33, on october 13, 2008

Features: Let me first say, I own the GS430. It's the same guitar, but in a Takamine NEX body shape instead of a Dreadnought shape. It's much easier for me to play than a Dreadnought. Anyway, this guitar was made in Korea, but it might as well have been a US made. It's a beautiful,flawlessly assembled guitar. It has a Solid Cedar Top which gives it a very full, expensive sound. The sides and back are NATO, which I believe is a laminate wood, but they look beautiful and don't appear to affect the sound quality. It's also worth mentioning this guitar does not have any electronics. Just simple, pure acoustic sound. // 9

Sound: I'm not a very advanced player, but I know a good guitar from a bad one. And let me tell you, this guitar has the most amazing, rich, full sound I've ever heard out of an acoustic in this price range. Bear in mind, if you want to make it louder you'll have to mic it up due to the lack of electronics, but that's a small price to pay for such a good sounding instrument. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up perfecly at the factory. The action is the lowest I've ever seen on an acoustic guitar. It is so easy to play, you won't believe you're playing a $300 guitar. The guitar stays in tune very well also. It also can detune to drop D, or a full step down without any issues what'soever. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Ok, here's my one beef with the guitar. The top scratches SO easily. This is probably because of the fact it has a satin finish (which doesn't protect the guitar very well). The big issue is do not play it fast and hard with a pick. If you're pick scraped the finish, it will leave a mark. But, if you're gentle with it, you could easily do a gig without any issues. // 6

Overall Impression: I would, without a doubt, buy this guitar again if it got stolen. It is an unbelievable value at only $300, because it sounds like a guitar worth three times as much money. I'd recommend it to anybody looking to play unplugged and beautiful acoustic music, regardless of genre. If it's expensive acoutic sounds you're looking for, buy this guitar! // 10

GS330S Reviewed by: jrenkert, on march 11, 2013

Purchased from: Dietz

Features: Your standard dreadnought style body with a real Cedar top and a light Cedar finish. The fretboard is unmarked rosewood (dots are on the side of the neck) and the frets themselves are unobtrusive. A word on the finish is that it is pretty easy to nick and scratch up. I am fairly gentle with my instrument since gouging it. Another odd thing: It probably has a lot to with how I play the instrument, but since there is no pick guard and I play in a percussive style that anchors my hand where the pickguard would be I have inadvertently polished that area with the oils from my hand and it is now very shiny and smoother than any other section of the instrument... Odd but not a bad thing. This guitar is pretty darn barebones: no pickups, just a little bit of finish, no inlays. // 7

Sound: The sound, on the other hand, is simply amazing. It matches guitars $600.00 more expensive with ease, both in volume and in tone. That being said and can be a tad bright with new strings and I find that I must change them quite frequently in order to keep the tone from becoming dull because this guitar sounds awful with worn strings (I mean isn't that true of all guitars?). I find that this instrument sounds the best two days after its been strung and lends itself well both in volume and playability to any style of music. I play mostly blues, gospel, and rock and I can get some killer tones out of this instrument. I've out played Taylor's and Martin's hundreds and hundreds of dollars more expensive, however that may have more to do with the player than the instrument. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came setup (something that store I got it from is so good at) nice and low and smooth. Its an easy adjustment of the truss rod if so desired (located in the bottom of the neck accessed through the sound whole). There is no cut out, but playing on the upper frets is pleasant enough and not uncomfortable for those with the skill to access it. Bends are easily done on this instrument and I find the action to be pleasantly loose. The one thing that I find to be obnoxious is that it seems to want to be set up every time one changes the strings, which can get a little on the obnoxious side. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've had this guitar for just over a year now with only a little nick in the finish and a weird polished spot from how my hands have worn the light and delicate finish. The tuners are still holding strong and the bridge is doing well (thankfully it doesn't have pegs in the bridge which I always have an issue with). Like I said it has a very light finish that is easily damaged and that applies to not just the body but the headstock as well. This is probably the weakest part of the guitar... So I would not suggest to one who is not spatially aware of their surroundings or not careful about where they place their instruments. // 7

Overall Impression: I truly love this guitar with its brilliant tone that has allowed me to hold my own in any situation playing against instruments that, strictly by price tag, should have shamed my sound. The action is sweet, if not temperamental at times, and lies low and loose. The weakest part of the whole ensemble is that the finish is very, very light. Get a case and get a stand, otherwise you're going to have one beat up instrument. With some TLC this guitar can take you anywhere you want it to. It has the ability to play anything you can throw at it as long as you don't throw it! // 9

More Takamine reviews rating category latest review
+ D20 9.5 Acoustic Guitars 12/23/2013