TRP73 VSE Review

review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
TRP73 VSE Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 16, 2010

Price paid: € 300

Purchased from: Jam, Sweden

Features: First, I got the guitar at a 50% discount as it was a factory second (i.e. Some minor flaw in the lacquer or similar). Ordinary shop price in Sweden is around 600. All the features plus pictures are at this location, but in short it's a 12fret parlour guitar with a built in Bband pickup. It's solid top with rosewood sides and back. // 8

Sound: I'm a beginner and mostly into blues, for which this guitar is excellent. As I've only had it for some five months, it's getting better every day as it gets played to life and I learn how to play better. Given its small size it has a good register, with a "snappy" base and a long, sort of ringing sustain. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar had a set-up made at Jam, Stockholm before it was put in the shop and it was well set-up when I bought it. I've been playing it daily and the set-up is still as good as when I brought it home. I've spent hours trying to find out what was the reason for marking it a "factory second", but having found nothing I recon I got a very good deal with this guitar. The finish of the guitar body is obviously urethane, but that goes for most budget guitars nowadays. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'm not even close to live gigging, but I wouldn't hesitate to bring this guitar to a performance. Being a fairy simple but sturdy Acoustic guitar, I could use it without backup. Also, the urethane finish seems very tough. I only tested the Bband mic, which works, but is of no current use to me. During this summer the guitar have stayed in tune for weeks at a time. The tuners are a delight to work and there is no noticeable play in them. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar fits my blues explorations perfectly. I been in and out of music for some 40 years, but got serious about playing the guitar some 6 months ago. Apart from this guitar I also have a classic nylon string and a Takeharu LP copy. I would really miss this guitar if it got lost, and I would at least consider getting a Tanglewood parlour again. I'd probably have to have a larger budget for that new guitar if that happened though. I really like the look of the guitar. It inspires me to pick it up and play it. What I would like to have is a 14-fret fitting instead of the 12-fret. I choose this particular guitar because it sounded much better than the 300 I paid for it. I did compare to other Tanglewoods and also quite a few other guitars in the shop. // 9

More Tanglewood reviews rating category latest review
+ TW130 ASM CE 9 Acoustic Guitars 07/24/2014