TW130 ASM CE Review

Reliability & Durability: 9.5
reviews (2) pictures (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
TW130 ASM CE Reviewed by: wauldsmith, on july 24, 2014

Purchased from: Red Dog Music Edinburgh

Features: Tanglewood guitars are designed in the UK and made in China. The TW130 ASM CE is now discontinued, I think my model was made 2012-2013. The guitar is all mahogany. Back, sides and top all solid mahogany. The neck is mahogany with rosewood finger board and rosewood bridge. It's a standard orchestra style guitar with a cutaway for higher fret access. It has a built in Tanglewood tuner. It's an electric acoustic, you have 3 eq dials for bass mid and treble, and a master volume. You also get a phase button which acts like a soft chorus effect. The tuner and pre amp require a 9 volt battery which is located where you plug the guitar in. It has regular strap buttons for guitar straps, it does not have a scratch plate. It came with D'Addario EXP 11. gauge strings. // 10

Sound: This guitar has a warm, rich full sound with lovely crisp highs and solid lows. The all mahogany body and neck just make it sound special. I wanted to get a Fender T-Bucket 400, an all maple guitar £279. It looks awesome and I got to play it for about 20 minutes in the guitar shop. I thought it played really nice and sounded pretty good. I asked the member of staff to let me play a guitar that was made from different tone woods and I got to play the all mahogany Tanglewood

The difference in sound, and responsiveness was very clear after playing around with the two guitars. The mahogany sounded deeper, warmer, richer and responded to my touch in a way I much preferred over the Maple. It also has very clear high range tones. Finger picking notes sound clear and strong and strumming away sounds wonderful thanks to this guitar being so perfectly in tune and intonated perfectly. Plug it in to an acoustic amp or PA system and you can shape the sound with the eq dials. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitars are designed in UK, made in China and then quality checked again in the UK. My guitar had a card with the inspection measurements for string heights and setup. The guitar has been set up perfectly in the UK and plays exactly as it should. The mahogany wood isn't coated or glossed. Looks like old wood despite not being aged. It's fairly light but solid, I'm sure it could take a bit of abuse and still perform but this guitar you will not want to bash. The guitar holds its tuning perfectly. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Everything about this guitar screams quality. It's not going to just break on you. With proper care this guitar will last a very long time, it's a solid guitar you could rely on it for anything. It's fairly light so gigging with it would be fine on your shoulder. Some guitars feel special to hold and this is definitely one of them. The guitar was built with great tone and playability in mind and you can really feel and hear that. Comparing it to the Fender T-Bucket 400CE - all maple - the fender sounded empty and transparent, like the wood wasn't even doing anything. Its marketed as a "bright" guitar, but really IMO its just lacking the good warm tones you get from solid woods. // 10

Overall Impression: I compared this all mahogany guitar to an all maple guitar in the same price range and honestly... the mahogany blows it out the water. I'm mainly playing country strumming/picking stuff and the guitar sounds great with it. I can't imagine a genre it wouldn't match as it sounds special. Maybe there are better mahogany guitars out there, I can't say. I can say that this guitar is head and shoulders above any other acoustic I've ever played. It's the mahogany that make it sound so good but the design and quality control combine it all and give you a really great guitar. // 10

TW130 ASM CE Reviewed by: Pablo Renedo, on november 16, 2015

Price paid: € 325

Purchased from: Txirula (España)

Features: This guitar will not leave you indifferent, just seeing it already is special, the sound is superb, powerful, sharp, size makes it comfortable to play for hours.

OOO size guitar auditorium, made of solid mahogany on the top and the back, the sides are mahogany laminated, one-piece mahogany neck, the fingerboard and Rosewood bridge, carries inlays on the fingerboard and the rosette is type herringbone fish, has a cutaway and is electrified with Fishman Isys T with 9V battery and included tuner. The strings are D'Addario EXP11 12-53, the shovel is drilled in the style of classical guitars, the bridge is 43 mm and 650 mm scale It does not have edges in the body on the fingerboard or on the edge of the mast and the anagram of Tanglewood in the shovel is Avalon. It is designed and revised in the United Kingdom and manufactured in China, although it does not anywhere. // 10

Sound: This guitar has a very powerful sound for the size of box that presents, is very crisp and clear bass and the media are very melodic, you notice the wood and gives the size of outstanding form without plug. The amplifier works very well and offers a very pleasant sound, however the Fishman carrying not you asked, as it is the heap and meets perfectly. Strings D'Addario EXP carrying, I personally do not like me, are a little hard and the sound is too metallic, so as soon as I can I am going to put some D'Addario EJ16 12-53, these strings took using them many years, have a sweet sound and a long service life. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was a little high action for my taste, as all the guitars that I had and had to get off, the good news is that with the key of the mast has been sufficient and didn't have to dismantle the bridge to sand it. I has been perfect, the strings very close to the fretboard, really comfortable and not moved anything at all. The finishes are excellent, satin varnish, gives the impression of crafts where you look at it, tuning fork carries a streak and an exquisite color, and very nice touch seeing the entire width without white borders, strings are 2 mm separate as a whole, resulting in the majority of the guitars, this comfortable. The interior of the guitar has gobs of glue or remainders of varnish, shovel and headstock are another point where glad to watch this guitar, beautiful and perfectly finished, the mechanisms are highly accurate, nothing is not tune, the rosette is very well done, it is classic and beautiful. The frets are perfectly polished, to its proper height and its edges not scratch. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very well done and is expected of her long-lasting if cared for, since having no edges on the body, this is a weak point, otherwise I always have treated fine guitars and spend years being as the first day, I hope that it not will take a hit. It is clear in any case that is not going to have the strength of an Ovation Balladeer. Anyway, I think that the best thing for a guitar is a hard case and in this way at least we are giving this guitar a duration that will not have if it is lying around // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is all that I had, that has most impressed me by finishes, color, sound, and sense of craft that emerges, if it weren't for the amplifier, it seems that it has emerged from the time machine 70 years ago. The tone of mahogany wood, may not like any, but I love, gives you that antique look of handmade instruments, as I usually play at home long time need a guitar that sounds very good and not necessary to plug it to get a good match, as happens with the balladeer so I have no conflict with neighbors. In short, this guitar is ideal and very complete, has everything what can be ordered. For the price I paid find me a little gem, almost a gift, I have sold many guitars, some faces and prestige, but this and say that you I will not let go of it. // 10

More Tanglewood reviews rating category latest review
+ Memphis AS-35 8.6 Electric Guitars 07/21/2014