TW28/12 CLN Review

manufacturer: Tanglewood date: 04/02/2012 category: Acoustic Guitars
Tanglewood: TW28/12 CLN
The sound that comes out of this guitar is of another world it is amazing. It sounds unbelievably crisp with any acoustic song that is produced. If you want to get a 12 string guitar then I believe that this Tanglewood 12 string guitar would be perfect for you.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 8.9
 9.1
reviews (2) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
TW28/12 CLN Reviewed by: 6will0w4, on november 21, 2011

Features: 12 String dreadnought shaped acoustic guitar, Natural Satin finish, Cedar top, Mahogany back and sides, Maple bound body, Oval shaped rosewood fingerboard, Rosewood Bridge, Bone saddle, Bone top nut, Grover style die-cast chrome machine heads, Abalone rosette and Walnut binding. This guitar is manufactured in the United Kingdom it has been handcrafted to perfection, it has 21 frets with a Mahogany neck. It also has a beautiful look and finish. The body shape is believed to be dreadnought which is rather large but very fitting and comfortable for any guitarist. // 9

Sound: The sound that comes out of this guitar is of another world it is amazing. It sounds unbelievably crisp with any acoustic song that is produced. It is also incredibly loud. I recently had a gig with this guitar in a large hall. The microphone that was in front of this guitar was practically on silent as it wasn't really needed for a guitar of this volume! I had never seen or heard a 12 string guitar live before I got this one and I had know idea that a guitar could give out such a crisp sound. If you want to get a 12 string guitar then I believe that this Tanglewood 12 string guitar would be perfect for you. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is quite high but it is bound to be when there are 12 strings. This does however make it hard to play bar chords and power chords but they are doable if you have strong fingers. Everything on the guitar fits together perfectly there are no loose things or things that just shouldn't be there. When playing this guitar it feels so amazingly smooth moving around the chords it doesn't feel cheap or quickly made it feels like someone has spend there time on manufacturing a good acoustic 12 string guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitely withstand live playing as it has such a strong build, everything on this guitar is very well built (As it is made in the U.K.). I like where the strap buttons are placed as it gives a firm hold to the guitar so I know that I know I will not drop it when the strap falls off (not that it will or ever has). I have been playing and have played this guitar for a long time and not yet have I seen any signs of damage. // 9

Overall Impression: I absolutely love this guitar and I would never want to replace it for any other acoustic 12 string guitar. I feel that the manufacturers of this guitar have spend a long time creating this guitar as it is so perfect, OK so the actions is quite high but that doesn't stop anything, if you have to then you can learn to work around it. If you ever see a Tanglewood guitar in your local shop don't hesitate to ask for a play then you will understand about the quality and the time spent on this guitar. // 9

TW28/12 CLN Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 02, 2012

Price paid: C$ 295

Purchased from: Quest Musique

Features: At this price you'd think that the workmanship and materials on a 12-string guitar would be lacking, but this is a beautiful and well-crafted instrument, and the one I bought came perfectly set up with no jagged frets or obvious seams or glue. The other nice thing about this 12-string in particular is that the headstock is light and doesn't affect the balance of the guitar, which is very important since most 12-stings want to naturally nosedive due to the weight. It would be nice if this guitar came with an electric pickup, but for the price I'm not complaining. You can easily make your own piezo pickup for under $10. // 9

Sound: This thing looks and sounds like an instrument worth four times as much as they're asking. It's bright and crisp and chorus-y, and boy is this thing loud! I feel as though you could use it unamplified in a lot of live settings, and I can't wait to do some unplugged recording with my Zoom H1, I think it'll sound amazing! The look of the guitar is rich and warm thanks to the mahogany neck and body and the Cedar top. The inlay on my model was seamless, and the grain of the top is warm and flawless. Even the faux pearl decoration, despite being laser-printed, is quite fetching. Even better, the colours match my acoustic six-string, so they make quite the lovely pair! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action makes it very comfortable to play, and the strings are nicely spaced so that with a little practice I'm now able to play fingerstyle and flatpick single pairs of strings with ease. Intonation seems good, and you can play scales and barre chords up to the 12th-15th frets with relative ease given the dreadnought construction. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The hardware seems to be very good quality, precise tuners and solid strap knob locations - I recommend always swapping these out for strap locks, they're the best $20 you'll ever spend on protecting your guitar. I don't plan on dropping it (hence the strap locks) but it seems solid and well-constructed, and I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm sure my cats will put it to the test soon enough. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar as a hobby musician for over two years and experiment with a lot of genres and styles, but something I've always sought after is fuller, richer sound. With the TS28-12 CLN I'm now able to expand my acoustic sound without effects pedals, at a price that doesn't break the bank. It's loud, it's clean-sounding, it plays well and it's a handsome instrument. I'd recommend this guitar to players at any level of experience. // 9

More Tanglewood reviews rating category latest review
+ TW130 ASM CE 9 Acoustic Guitars 07/24/2014