TW45 NS Review

manufacturer: Tanglewood date: 08/18/2009 category: Acoustic Guitars
Tanglewood: TW45 NS
The beautiful Tanglewood TW45-NS super folk electro-acoustic from Tanglewoods Sundance Pro range features a solid Canadian Cedar top, African Mahogany body and B-Band pickups.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.7
 8.7
reviews (3) 3 comments vote for this gear:
TW45 NS Reviewed by: dynamo_hermit, on january 09, 2009

Purchased from: Music Ground, Leeds

Features: This is a UK manufactured, 2008 version of Tanglewoods TW45-NS electro-acoustic (left-handed). It has a solid Canadian ceder top with solid African mahogany back (I suspect the sides are laminate). The body is described as 'super-Folk cutaway' - so it's a sort of small Jumbo (if that makes any sense) with cutaway. Quite attractive, in fact. Chrome machine heads and a B-Band eq, it also comes with an in-built tuner. Green abalone 'snow-flake' inlays, if you like that sort of thing. It's a very good spec for the money (and I imagine you could find one a few quid cheaper if you have a good look on-line). // 8

Sound: I use it for general folk/bluesy/fingerpicking purposes and it sounds pretty damn good. Obviously it's not a high-end, hand made masterpiece - but for under 450 it provides an impressively bright but warm tone with good balance. The pick-up is standard but the amplified sound is certainly good enough to gig. The eq is nothing special but is functional. For the money, this guitar really does sound great. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar has been set-up perfectly as far as I can tell. Personally, I have no problem with the action - I find it very responsive and straightforward to play. I've been playing it quite relentlessly for about two months now & have found zero flaws of any description. The tuning holds extremely well, the bridge is excellent, as is the nut. No problems what'soever. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've only had the guitar for two months so it's difficult to grade it on durability. To be honest, the main body of the guitar does feel a little fragile & I certainly won't be throwing it around - but the various components (machine heads, bridge, nut etc.) all seem very sturdy. I'll give it a 7 and keep my fingers crossed. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a great value-for-money guitar - especially for the left-hander Who has such limited choice. It looks gorgeous and plays very well with a lovely warm tone, and sounds good through the amp also (and, to be fair, I'm using an electic amp on a clean sound and it still sounds good! ) Overall I rate this guitar as an 8 - I'm very happy with it so far and would gladly recommend it to any guitarist looking for a mid-range, fingerpicking electro-acoustic. // 8

TW45 NS Reviewed by: kav101, on august 18, 2009

Features: I'm not sure where this guitar was made (or when). The guitar has 20 frets, the frets themselves being quite thin.The actual neck itself is a one piece mahogony affair and is really comfortable and easy to hold when playing. The fretboard is rosewood and has little snowflake inlays, I certainly like them, quite subtle and understated but definately a nice touch. The top is solid Cedar and the back and sides are mahogony. One thing which struck me about this guitar is just how light it feels. The finish on the top is satin and I imagine it wont be to everyones taste... I however think it looks amazing! The style of the body is cutaway and the overall size is quite small compared to the Yamaha FG700S dreadnaught I started off playing. To be honest I found this to be to my liking as the guitar feels really comfortable to hold and play. The pick up included is perhaps where I think this guitar falls down a little. The B Band A3T has an inbuilt tuner which is fair enough and does a job, along with bass, middle, treble, prescence and master volume control. The pickup seems to miss alot of higher notes unless the treble or presence is turned quite high up, which i think detracts from the sound of the guitar. As this guitar is probably more geared to a fingerpicking style this is quite an anonying little niggle, but not a huge deal and i'll definately be improving the pickup and EQ soon. The tuners are grover style and seem to do a job, this thing never needs tuning every 5 minutes like some guitars do. One thing I really liked was that the guitar came with Elixir Nanoweb strings. I love these puppies and on this guitar they sound extremely bright, not to mention that they will last a good while longer than uncoated strings! I managed to get a gig bag thrown in (no solid case), a Korg tuner, a pyrex slide and a few picks. // 7

Sound: I wanted to get this guitar because the Yamaha FG700S I had was a good starter guitar but I felt it was a little dull, expecially as my style was starting to involve more fingerpicking rather than big strumming numbers. Its got a great sound when plugged into a nice amp, really bright and alive.. I always love it when one of my mates has a play and I can listen to how good it actually sounds! I tend to keep the prescence backed off on the eq settings as this can make the guitar a bit hissy and pick up on your fingers brushing on the strings as you change chords etc. I don't think this is the most versatile Acoustic in the world but if you love playing Folk, fingerstyle and even blues then I would certainly recommend it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on mine is simply delicious, no string buzz at all and really comfortable to play. The difference between this and my old Yamaha was really noticeable, a year and a half later and I still love playing this guitar. Everything on the guitar appears to be set up well except for one of the frets which doesn't appear to be set into the neck as well as the others. Minor complaint at the moment, its certainly not coming away or anything but I'll be keeping an eye on it. Apart from that everything seemed good, the finish was excellent, everything properly fitted and tightened... ready to just crack on with the playing! // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'd be wary about how rough I was with this guitar. As I said before, its a really light feeling guitar and I don't think it would appreciate any knocks. I had a little accident with mine when I was changing strings with a pair of pliers (distracted by Top Gear on telly!) and nipped the wood around the soundhole and left a nice little bite mark. Was gutted, It didn't take much pressure to dig into the wood. Everything else seems fine though, I would certainly gig with it if I was doing something quite mellow and chilled, this aint a one to be throwing around the stage because it just feels too delicate! // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, even though this guitar isn't perfect I love it. As soon as I tried it in the shop I needed it, it felt and sounded amazing. I would seriously recommend just giving one atry if you can and you will see what I mean! It suits my style quite well, I like to play alot of fingerstyle and mellow Acoustic stuff and this fits the bill perfectly. I've been playing for almost 2 years and like I've said, I feel this was a perfect step up from my old Yamaha. If it ever got lost or stolen I would no doubt get it again, I just havn't experienced anything which feels/sounds so good at this price range. I love the look of it, the satin finish is sexy as hell and I love the snowflake inlays. The overall look is quite retro and understated... everyone who sees it comments on it! The only slight downfall is that perhaos this guitar can't handle big strumming style songs so I think I'll be looking to get my hands on a nice 12 string for that. // 8

TW45 NS Reviewed by: Unit_G, on november 22, 2006

Features: I borrowed this guitar from my lead guitarist's girlfriend for playing a one-off acoustic gig, and I have no idea where or when it was made. The top is solid Cedar, soundboard is African mahogany; the bridge and fretboard are rosewood. It has 20 frets, no finish. Machine heads are chrome and the fretboard is decorated with shiny pinkish snowflake motifs that make you feel twice as gay every time you play it. Unless you're already female of course. Volume control on the side, three sliders for bass, mid, treble, and one for 'presence' which generally just ruins your sound if you turn it up when plugged in. I can't say much more since sadly I didn't buy the guitar, and it's owner doesn't really know anything about guitars anyway. // 8

Sound: The tone from the body of this thing is immense, it responds very brightly in the high treble and the bass in impressive, if ever so slightly tinny. It is very effective for any kind of rhythm playing in Folk or acoustic rock music as I am playing at the moment. I'm yet to play it plugged, since I don't have an acoustic amp anyway and I prefer to judge an acoustic instrument on its acoustic sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This is where it falls short. The action is pretty poor, I always find my fingers aching after too long playing anything above the 6th fret. I think the bridge is too high but I've no idea how to adjust it, and it isn't my guitar anyway, I play a PRS Tremonti SE which is better in every respect in my opinion, except that it isn't acoustic. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I can imagine this thing lasting quite a while. That said, when it came to me it was missing a few strings, but I think it is several years old. I would use it without a backup, as this saturday I am playing a gig at which I will have no choice. The finish is fine, It looks quite nice and isn't going to look like firewood any time soon. // 9

Overall Impression: I suppose the style I'm using this axe for is best described as being sort of James Blunt-esque, except far more interesting musically, and less whiny. For that, it is excellent, very well designed for simple chord strumming and can handle fills and lead parts; the sheer size makes it easily audible over some cacophony. Basically, the high action annoys me but the tone makes up for it easily. If it got stolen, I'd tell Katy I'm sorry, but can't afford a replacement (she's far richer than me anyway), her dad would replace it for her). // 7

More Tanglewood reviews rating category latest review
+ TW45 W OP E 8.7 Acoustic Guitars 02/11/2014