110 Review

manufacturer: Taylor date: 01/24/2006 category: Acoustic Guitars
Taylor: 110
With a quality Sitka Spruce top and Mahogany Sapele Laminate back and sides, the 110 delivers great tone.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.3
 Features: 9.3
 8.8
 9.3
 8.2
reviews (3) 3 comments vote for this gear:
110 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 21, 2004

Features: This is a great mid-level acoustic. Mine is a 2003 model, made in US. 10 necks have 20 regular sized frets, fairly slim width, ebony fretboards, and are made from sapele laminate. It's a solid sitka spruce top, with sapele laminate back and sides. Good finish, very resistant to fingerprints so it looks nice. Dreadnaught body, no cutouts. Standard ebony bridge with black plastic pins. No onboard electronics. It comes with the standard khaki Taylor gig bag. Very nice for a $300 to $500 acoustic guitar. For the price, it's a definite 5. // 10

Sound: It is very adaptable to all styles of music. It lends itself well to anything from acoustic rock to jazz to blues to country to anything else you can think of. I recommend using elixir nanoweb 12s for strings, because they fit the tone of the guitar. My 10 doesn't break strings easily when I play it. I've only had one string break (and it was about 2 months old), but it really depends on your style. I know someone who plays a 14 and he breaks strings constantly. The only downside to using elixir 12s with this guitar is that they don't take well to drop D. So, if you use alot of drop D I don't recommend this combination. I'm getting the Martin Gold Plus active pickup put into it soon. I recommend the Fender Acoustasonic amp series for this kind of guitar, as these amps will only make a Taylor sound better than it already is. The 10 works well with most techniques (i. e. hammers and pulls, bends, vibrato, etc). It's easy to form bar chords on the neck. It has very good ressonance and tone. It's not very good for slide guitar, though, because it loses sound quality with any tuning that involves notes more than half a step away from standard. So, It works well with Eb tuning, but not so much for Drop D, Drop Db, etc. DADGad sounds alright, though. Part of it is just how you wrap the strings, part of it is just the time of year in relation to how the neck is adjusted. If you just play it normally (standard tuning, no slide), it has great sound quality, especially compared to other brands in the same price range. For their lowest model, it carries all of Taylor's quality. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar used, but it was taken good care of and it's just over a year old. If you know how to adjust the truss rod with the changing seasons, It will sound great all the time. The setup was normal, no defects in the guitar. Nothing loose, nothing broken, nothing wrong. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I play this guitar for a crowd of about 200 every week, even though I'm using a mic right now, It sounds good. I do recommend you install electronics, though. The hardware is good, but you might have to adjust the tuning mechanism (the screws in the keys) to adjust the tension you want on the keys. Personally, I like tighter keys to keep the mechanisms in place better. The strap buttons are very good and have held up well thus far. The only reason I would ever use a backup for a gig is in case I broke a string, otherwise I would rely on it 100%. The finish is durable and holds up well to rougher/faster playing styles. It has stayed completely on. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great guitar. If you are looking for a mid-level guitar and don't want to have to get a new one in 5 years, this is your best bet. Believe me, I shopped all the big brands and this was easily the best. I play lots of different music, maily I would say "acoustic punk", folk/rock, worship music, most of it involves lots of strumming or complex picking patterns. It works well with everything that I play on it. I've been playing guitar about 18 months, and I've had my 10 about 4 months. I own my old Jay Jr. basic acoustic guitar, and the rest of my stuff is just accessories. I reccomend. 5 or. 6 mm picks (like tortex or planetwaves). I askes all I could think before buying it, and I got the best guitar I could for the price. If it got stolen/lost, the only other guitar I would replace it with would be a higher model from Taylor. I love everything about it, It made me decide to play/buy Taylors exclusively (as far as acoustics go). My favorite thing is the slim neck, which makes it easy to bar and to navigate. I looked at Ibanez, Fender, Epiphone, Takamine, Dean, and most other big brands before I bought it and this was easily the best choice judging by sound and play quality. All it's missing is the pickup and then it's good to go. // 10

110 Reviewed by: I Hate Music, on december 08, 2005

Features: This is such a beautiful guitar. It's a solid top 24 fret guitar wtih a dreadnought body. The version I purchased did not come with electronics but it can be bought for about $100 more. I just like to hook up my own pick ups. The guitar came with a nice Taylor gig bag and some tools to take the neck off. It also came with both strap pegs built into the body which was a huge seller for me because I absolutely hate the strap being connected to the head of the guitar. All in all it came with some pretty good features. When you're buying a nice guitar like this you usually don't expect to get those 2nd rate straps and tuners and other acessories that come with it. // 9

Sound: This guitar is perfect for what I play, which is pretty much everything. I play anything from Jazz to rock to Latin to chick songs (you gotta play some sweet songs for the ladies). The thing I love about Taylor is that you can hear every note and little nuance in a chord instead of just the bass notes and what not in other guitars. It is a dreadnought so it does have that loud, rich beauitful tone. The tone can definitely be described as bright. That's what the naysayers do not like. They say the tone is a little to bright. Just right for me though. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was put together very well. You can really play some fast acoustic latin stuff on here because the action is incredible. The only flaw on the guitar was that the tuning peg for the G string was a little loose. This was easily fixed by the tools provided though. The finish is awesome because the solid top is the best way to go. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has been through a lot with me since I've gotten it. It is the only acoustic I bring to shows now and it has not let me down. It has been banged around a few times but it only has one bearly noticable dent. The craftmanship on this guitar is perfect I believe Taylor and I will be rocking for quite some time. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is one of my favorite guitar. My $2,200 SG got really jealous the first week of two because I couldn't put this thing down. I would definitely buy this again if it was stolen(well I have insurance). My favorite part of this guitar is it's incredible sound. I would suggest anyone looking to buy a new acoustic check it out. // 9

110 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 24, 2006

Purchased from: Gold Coast Music, Southport

Features: The Taylor 10 came with a very nice looking gig bag that gets comments before I even take the guitar out of it. The 10 is a very back to basics guitar with no picup or electronics on board, which is exactly what I was after. It has 20 frets, with a nice thin neck that your hand will not cramp up on after a few bar chords. // 9

Sound: First thing people notice with this guitar is the volume. It is a very loud guitar. A sound as smooth as silk that makes your level of playing sound a whole lot better with out doing anything different. People take notice of this guitar even if they know nothing about them. I play a lot of '70s rock and Folk style and it suits perfect. I am sure you could do much more with it. It makes you want to play better every day. I have played for 15 years and never before have I been so keen every morning to pick up an insturment. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It is an easy guitar to keep looking clean. I have owned mine for well over a year and have never cleaned it ever. It's finish does not show finger prints at all. In fact when you put it beside my other 4 glossy guitars it makes them look cheap. Which is cool as it is my flagship guitar after all. It has no fancy decals, the fact it is so basic to look at but packs so much punch is part of the reason I love it. You know you spent your money on pure sound quality rather then some fancy paint finish on a second rate sounding guitar. It's a very light guitar, partly due to the fact there is no internal braces as found on cheaper instruments. It is quite amazing to look inside the sound hole and see nothing on the back of the guitar at all other then it's contour. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I don't play live anymore but I would be very happy to walk out on stage with a 10 under my arm. It's never broke a string. It is sensitive to changes in temp though. I live in Australia and use air-con a lot so most days I have to re-tune it before playing after a temp change of 10C (50F) or more. It looks the same as the day I bought it. No signs of wear and tear like my other insturments have. // 9

Overall Impression: I would buy from Taylor again, all my mates are out to get one after seeing mine. Go try one out in a store for yourself. I tested it against Fender and other top name brands and this won out over all of them. // 9

More Taylor reviews rating category latest review
+ 414CE 8.9 Acoustic Guitars 05/12/2014