110CE Review

manufacturer: Taylor date: 02/17/2015 category: Acoustic Guitars
Taylor: 110CE
An "affordable" mid-range Taylor that that doesn't deliver for its price and doesn't deliver on its sound.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
 Features: 8.5
 8.3
 7.7
 8.8
reviews (2) pictures (1) 21 comments vote for this gear:
110CE Featured review by: UG Team, on march 14, 2011

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Features: This guitar is a basic dreadnought with a cutaway. Standard Taylor guitar, details as from Taylor:

▪ Type/Shape: 6-String Dreadnought Cutaway
▪ Body Depth: 4 5/8 Inches
▪ Body Length: 20 Inches
▪ Overall Length: 41 Inches
▪ Case: Gig Bag

From all the features it seems like we are off to a pretty good start. Let's go through these and I will tell you why I do not think it delivers. // 9

Sound: It flat out doesn't cut it. It sounds like a Taylor, pretty much all Taylor acoustics exhibit the sought after Taylor' sound. Still with me? So why am I going to pay $800usd for the sound of something I can get for $450? That is your decision. It sounds like a Taylor, do I like the sound of a Taylor, yes somewhat. Great bass and mid response, fantastic, wide variety of sounds based on where you are picking from (more towards the bridge or neck). But there was one thing that after spending 2 hours with this guitar that I could not dial in. Basic strumming. As you are reading this and thinking that I am completely off my rocker I will admit to you this. By nature I am a Martin fan, that is what I play and that is what I own. Although I prefer Martins I know what a good sounding Taylor is and I have a lot of respect for them. They can do a lot of things a Martin cannot just as Martin's can do a lot of things a Taylor cannot. Now that we have my predisposed prejudice established I will tell you my main problem with the sound of the Taylor 110ce.

As I was playing with a pick I was almost able to play it like a Les Paul, switch between the rhythm and treble channel by either playing more towards the bridge or more towards the neck. That I liked, it was nice to know it had a wide variety or sounds from this guitar. I believe this guitar did this better than my Martin. Extremely rich mid-range response and a nice chimey, sparkly treble response. The problem I had is there is absolutely no middle ground with this guitar. For me, when I play chords I like to be somewhere in the middle.' I like to have nice blend of both rhythm and treble, I like to fill up the sound on both spectrums. I kid you not I spent 30 minutes in the store, with people probably thinking I was crazy, trying to find the happy medium. I played an open G chord for 10 minutes straight moving millimeter by millimeter trying to find the spot.' Well needless to say, I did not find it. I tried open chords, bar chords, funky jazz chords to no avail. Wherever I strummed the sound shifted to polar opposites. It was either too bassy or too trebly. I thought I was losing it myself, but then picked up a Big Baby Taylor and found the spot' immediately. So I went back to the 110ce and nothing. Nothing worked, same problem even with finger picking. I am not sure what it is with this guitar but the sound did not cut it for me. When I think of an Acoustic I generally think of it has a rhythm and not a lead instrument. For this it failed, for solo work I think this would excel. If you need a guitar with polar opposites and no in between get this!

For electronics this Taylor has the ES-T system which is an under-saddle transducer. This system features onboard bass, treble, and volume controls, plus custom-voiced EQ and dynamic response. I personally believe the electronics on this guitar were the best part. I have always been a fan of Taylor's onboard electronics and these did not disappoint. I did not like the sound coming out of it but it did re-create that sound as good as possible.

As you are reading this and disgusted with my opinion just know it is exactly that, an opinion. If you own this guitar and love it, good for you, if you disagree, well that's great too. That's my job here, to write an objective review, and trust me, I am trying to be as objective as possible. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Spending a considerable amount of time with this guitar I was able to look over it fairly well. The action was set up perfectly (about 90% of guitar players would agree), everything was put together well. There were no flaws in the craftsmanship or any problems that looked like they came from the factory. Once again though I have another problem with this guitar. The finish. An $800 guitar with Varnish? Now yes, I bet a lot of you like the look of this, hell, my Martin does not have a nice beautiful gloss finish on it but my Martin was not in this price range. Taylor has better looking guitars that sound better in the same price range, in fact for the exact same price, the Taylor 210E-G Dreadnought. That at least has a very nice gloss to it, it essentially has the same electronics, the signature Taylor sound, and oh yeah it has a happy spot for strumming. This is my main problem; almost every manufacturer has this problem, an ugly middle ground, mid-range guitar. It is either spend $400 and get what you paid for, a good guitar, not great guitar, or go big and take home their flagship instrument. For me you should chose one or the other because if you chose something in the middle you will kick yourself for not springing for the holy grail, or you will kick yourself for not saving yourself a couple of hundred bucks. I have the philosophy of go big or go home, and if you go home get the cheap one. Unfortunately the 100 series completely falls on its face in this middle ground. It makes perfect business sense for Taylor, they can sell something in the middle, but for the consumer, well, I'm not sure if it does.

To illustrate this lets use Toyota and Lexus automobiles. Both are under Toyota, both models are essentially the same car.' Let's compare the Toyota Camry and the Lexus ES. Both have the same frame, chassis, and same major components. For example, you can option out the Camry for $42,000 (leather seats, moon roof, big motor, etc) or you can just buy the Lexus ES (flagship of the brand) for $51,000. In my mind it would behoove you to buy the Lexus, better resale, less depreciation, and it is the top of the line. Don't waste your time, or more importantly your money on the in between model. The best two options would be either, buy a reasonably equipped Camry for $25,000 or the ES at $51,000. You won't kick yourself for being in that middle ground. I always apply this to music gear. In other words I think the 110ce is the optioned out Camry. Save up and just get the Lexus! // 7

Reliability & Durability: No problems here. I have never have encountered any problems with Taylors or their electronics. The only thing I have noticed is that it seems Taylors are extremely responsive to changes in humidity so I would highly recommend you purchasing a humidifier for your guitar if you decide to purchase one, and not just for this Taylor, for anyone you purchase. Looking at this guitar you can tell it is built solidly and crafted extremely well. With the work they put into this guitar I know it will last if well taken care of. // 8

Overall Impression: I am guessing by now most of you who read this review understand my overall impression and what I think about this guitar. I am giving it a 7/10 and some of you might not think it is that bad of a rating. Well for me it is, a 7 is a C' and I would actually give this a C-. I really don't think Taylor hit a home run with this guitar. For the price I really think you can get a better guitar, and for half of the price you can get an equal guitar. I know saying go big or go home is not always feasible for most of us. I know that times are tough we don't all get paid $70,000 a year but I also think it is good to make smart financial decisions even with your music gear. I just really feel that if you buy this guitar you will be settling for something, that is how I would feel. I would immediately think to myself, man I should have gotten the 310ce. I know it is double the price of the 110ce; trust me I understand how much $1500 is and how long that takes to save up, but here is the thing, I think the 310ce is more than double the guitar the 110ce is. The 110ce is not double the guitar the Big Baby is so that doesn't make sense to spend an extra $400 for not double the guitar. None the less I encourage you to try this guitar and share your thoughts, were you able to find the happy medium strumming zone?

As always,
Enjoy your tone and happy pickin' // 7

- Jesse Kleinow ‘thejester’ (c) 2011

110CE Reviewed by: TheKingDweeb, on february 17, 2015

Price paid: C$ 850

Purchased from: Walter's Music

Features: The 110CE is a full size guitar with a narrower, 1 11/16-inch, neck. The neck makes it easy for younger hands to hold and reach around for those wrist aching barre chords. It has 20 frets on an Ebony fret board. I've had some problems with action, but after some loosening of the truss rod, the buzzing disappeared. It has a solid, no reflection top and body; Sitka spruce is the top wood and Sapele is the body wood. I definitely prefer a laminated body with a darker, richer wood, but this being the cheapest full sized "CE" in the Taylor line, I can't complain. The Taylor 110CE is a dreadnought body acoustic guitar with internal electronics and a Venetian cutaway, hence the "CE" in 110CE (Cutaway - Electric). The cutaway is very, very flat; series like the 600 and up have rounder ones and steeper ones. It is really no problem aside for aesthetics (personally, Florentine cutaways are the most beautiful). This guitar has simple electronics (the three dials, volume and 2 tones) mounted above the fret board on the body's left side. that scream the Taylor name. The internal sound board is a Taylor Standard Expression System-T, powered by a 9 volt battery that sits in a slot beneath the guitar strap button on the bottom of the guitar. On the head of the guitar there are 6 die-cast chrome tuning pegs. They have perfect resistance which means getting the perfect tuning is easy. Where I purchased my Taylor, they included an amazing full-padded soft case (Taylor brand; $70 retail.) and a capo (not Taylor). For a beginner guitar, the Taylor 110CE looks like the bold, traditional dreadnought and functions past expectations, aside from personal preferences. // 8

Sound: I am a strummer and a flat-picker, with occasional finger-picking (on some songs). I play a lot of alt-rock and pop-rock, and occasional folk. This guitar is perfect for everything. I play the Taylor 110CE acoustic, no amp and no effects, and it boasts a full tonal range and a clean, bold sound. Granted, it isn't anything special. The tonewoods have a balanced sound, with moderate projection. While maple produces focused sound, mahogany will create increased treble and while cedar makes the whole room glow, the Sitka spruce and Sapele has a full sound that can't be distinguished as unique, but also can't be characterized as ordinary. With proper technique or help from effects or an amplifier, the Taylor 110CE can pull off the grit for rock, the smooth licks of the blues or the acoustic rhythm of bluegrass and country. The Taylor 110CE is a bold sounding guitar, but it lacks a voice that is it's own. This guitar would be a great backup, or an alternate tuning guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: If one knows anything about Taylor guitars, then it is quality. Every Taylor that I have come across, including the 110CE that I own, is built to specification. It was set up nearly perfect, aside from slight buzzing with the strings. There was a low action, so I had to loosen the truss rod to end that (pretty quickly). This would be an issue for guitars whose rod is difficult to get to, but for the 110CE, the opening is right on the head, easy to adjust. The internal pickups were calibrated perfectly and the entire body of the guitar was seamless, not one speck of varnish was off. Overall, it was set-up great. I think that humidity was an issue when I received mine (the low action). // 9

Reliability & Durability: The Taylor name is quality, and even with their lowest series "CE," you get that. I use this guitar regularly during acoustic jam sessions or on the couch, but I have used it live, before. It does withstand the live vibe: the humidity, constant slaps on the body and the weight of the guitar hinged on the buttons, swinging around. The body of the guitar seems solid, until you look inside. There are no internal wooden supports along the back of the guitar, only on the front where the stress from the strings is present. Unless you're slapping the back of the guitar as a makeshift drum, this shouldn't be an issue, although I can't stop thinking about it when playing the guitar. This is why I would never, ever use the 110CE to a gig without a backup. I would always use a backup, but it feels like an obligation for this guitar. My guitar has a good beating around the scratch board from my picks and strums. This is because I have very, very long arms, and when strumming in the moment, my arm can move too far over and scratch the wood around the cutaway. Aside from obvious concerns with durability (it is the lowest Taylor series [100 series]), the guitar lasts and will last if it is taken care of properly. // 7

Overall Impression: I play alternative rock, often. I also write acoustic tracks for media works I do (games, short films, etc.). And for a guy who needs a guitar for changes in playing style, it works great! I have been playing for upwards of 9 years, and I currently own a bunch of gear (3 acoustics, 2 electric, 1 drum kit, 1 amplifier, 2 mics). I wish I really considered the durability of the guitar prior to purchasing, since the back keeps me very concerned. It isn't a guitar I'd get again, because of those issues, and my growing desire to get a darker wood guitar, but Taylor's have always been expensive, and I really wouldn't go for another Taylor over the 500 series. I love the small, camper/traveller vibe I get from it. I love the simplicity of it (very easy for a studio setup). The quality is extraordinary and the tone is clean, and the Taylor 110CE is beautiful looking. However, there were some initial issues with action and the durability give me some concerns. The voice isn't anything special, too. I really enjoy the traditional dreadnought shape. It's narrow enough to fit under arm and it great for beginners. I have used plenty of other guitars; I tested some other Taylor's when purchasing this one (GS Mini, Big Baby214CE, 100E, 614CE), but I settled for this one because of the cost to quality ratio. This guitar would really be perfect with a darker finish and a steeper cutaway. Nearly a decade playing guitar, and a collection of guitars that look like First Act student guitars compared to this, I can safely say that this guitar is amazing for the price. I would definitely recommend this for students, beginners, or for back up guitars and alternate tunings. // 8

More Taylor reviews rating category latest review
+ 914CE 9.8 Acoustic Guitars 03/31/2015