114 Review

manufacturer: Taylor date: 10/10/2012 category: Acoustic Guitars
Taylor: 114
This guitar has a very nice and warm sound, lots of sustain is also nice but maybe not the best for heavy strummers I guess.
 8.9
 8.4
 9.4
review (1) pictures (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
114 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 10, 2012

Price paid: C$ 740

Purchased from: Steve's Music

Features: This is a 2012 made in Mexico, it has a thin neck which I like (I hesitated between this and a Norman B50 but I didn't like the neck) it is made of Sitka Spruce top and Sapele laminate, and has satin finish, the sapele is in my opinion a little bit more attractive than mahogany it kinda looks "golden" the fingerboard is made of ebony which isnt surprising as I think all Taylors have that, but it does give a lot of sustain to the guitar (alway keep in mind it is their entry level model), it comes with a good gig bag that's lightly padded. I took the 114 straight, no cutaway, no electronic... And the body is what they call a Grand Auditorium. // 9

Sound: I mostly play slow rock, reggae... So this guitar has a very nice and warm sound, lots of sustain is also nice but maybe not the best for heavy strummers I guess. What's surprising was the strength of the sound that comes in, and I like it when I can feel my notes vibrate on my chest, this one give me this kind of feelings. I used to play on my dad's Vantage guitar, but this on sounds muuuuch better. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: My guitar wasn't even on the floor, so the guy had to unseal the box straight out of factory, and surprisingly it was perfectly set up, from fret buzz to tuning everything was fine and playable right away, I've noticed a little step where the neck and the body do join, but no big deal. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar looks tough, and as it is laminate it is supposed to be stronger (as they say) I don't intend to play live, just near campfires and beaches so I hope it'll hold for that. The strap buttons looks OK but I've seen better (and worst) I used them twice and they did their job. The satin finish is usually not lasting long if you play with a pick but it give so much more sound! // 7

Overall Impression: I've played for 10 years, mostly electric, I have a Gibson Les Paul, I played on Vantage Anveger X-77 before, and that's my first acoustic, I don't intend to change it anytime soon as I really love the sound it has. If it'd be stolen I'd buy another Taylor, if not the same model! // 9

More Taylor reviews rating category latest review
+ 914CE 9.9 Acoustic Guitars 07/21/2014