114CE Review

Features: 8.5
 8.9
reviews (4) pictures (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
114CE Reviewed by: re-chorder, on january 08, 2010

Features: This guitar was made in Mexico in November of 2000. I was a little surprised when I found out that it was made in Mex. but the guitar is still wonderful. By the way, Taylor only has the two locations, mexico and El Cajo California. This is 20 fret guitar, the fingerboarde is made of rosewood and the top is solid Satika Spruce. The body is laminated sapele and the neck is solid sapele. It has a satin finish, and the body style is a cutaway Grand Autitorium. (Not a dreadnought, smaller.) It has a ES-T sound system with Volume, Base, and Trab. That's it. The guitar came with a Taylor gig bag, but I bought a hardshel anyway. The only thing that I think is missing is an onboard tuner. I mean, for the price, I think it should be encluded. // 9

Sound: It suits my music style very well, which is mostly strumming irish Christian and Folk tunes, with some oldies and pop songs thrown in. I'm using a crummy Beringer right now, but I plan to get a nicer amp soon. The one I plugged it into at the store was amazing! The 114 has a very bright sound. I almost got a Martin, which was very deep and dark, but the high end wasn't that good, so I changed my mind and got the Taylor. I'd prefur to have a better high end. When I plug it in and crank up the Bass a little bit, It souds like the best guitar in the world. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was great, and much better than the Martin. This guitar is the easiest to play period. Out of all the guitars that I played, on this one my hand slid right up and down the neck and the strings were in the right place and everything. So far, I cannot see any factory defects. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar seems strong enough, but I'm not about to test it. I would take it on a gig without a backup, but I'd make sure to have a good case too. I wouldn't want anthing to happen to it. // 9

Overall Impression: This is an amazing guitar. I've only been playing for a year, and I know that I don't deserve it even though I'm a fast learner. But I also play better on this guitar than on any other, and I think it will help me to improve. If this thing were stolen, I would buy this again if I had the money, but if I had more money, I'd probobly b uy the 14CE, which has a better pickup system and solid sides and back. (not laminated.) but for under a grand, this is the best guitar. I compared this to the Martin Dcx1e and to a Breedlove and some others and this is by far the best. I chose this because of the brightness and the clarity of each individual string. I you play country and like a deep base, you might want to look in the the Martin Dreadnought DCX1E, but if you want bright, this guitar is right. // 9

114CE Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 18, 2011

Purchased from: Music Store (on sale)

Features: 2010 Taylor 114ce. I think mexican but I have no idea. 20 frets only, which for me is a downer. Solid top with laminated sides. Natural finish. Active electronics. Most of the downs are from features, but other than that the guitar is great. Here is what could improve it: mid range adjuster (just bass and trebble), maybe a tuner but I have one anyways, different finishes, and that's about it. I wish it came with a hardcase, if you pay this much you should expect a case. // 7

Sound: Sound, can't be rated. What sounds good to me may not sound good to you. But I think this sounds like an Acoustic should. It has that I'm a taylor" sound. But can get pretty ballsy when I put bass on. I just don't like hte fact there is not a 'mid' switch. It's just bass, trebble, and volume. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I'll be honest, when I got it setup was TERRIBLE. I got it set up and it plays MUCH better now. Pickup seemed to not register high-E string well. Once I took it into my local shop for a setup, they fixed that as well. Was a pain before setup, but now plays like a dream. That's my favorite aspect of this guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar will withstand a bunch. That doesn't mean don't take care of it. I've bumped it a few times on sharp corners, and I don't notice any scuffs. I put a strap lock on, but I'd rather pay for 30 strap lock again, not a 800 dollar guitar. Finish is well done. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar fits me well, it's far from "perfect" but I think there will never be a perfect guitar. And I'm sure with care this can last me a good 5 years at least. I bought it on sale, and I don't regret buying it. It needed a setup when I got it, but after that it played exceptional. Great guitar for the money, and I feel like I'm paying for quality not just the name. Would def. recommend to others. // 7

114CE Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 26, 2011

Features: This is a 2009 model ce114 20 fret guitar with a cutaway "Grand Auditorium" shape. It was made in the Mexico factory. It is Taylor's signature EST electronics. The controls are Bass, Treble, and Volume, but they behave more like cab-emulators when arrainged in various settings. Came with a gig bag, instead of a hard-shell case. For the money, better protection should come standard. // 9

Sound: LOVE the way this guitar sounds. Very deep and rich sound for such a small body. I have to use a cup when amplified and using monitors, because the A string resonates enough feel it through the back of the body. Even when attenustaed by the cup, it sounds amazing. The pickups provide fantastic sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory set up is perfect. No buzzes. This guitar has better action and playability than any Acoustic I've ever played. So easy tomove up and down the fret board. I'm soloing on it in ways that just aren't possible on my other guitars. Still using the Elixer Nanoweb strings that Taylor uses in the factory. Love this marriage that Taylor uses. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It seems to be durable. I frequently gig without a backup. The satin finish is becoming glossy where my right armdrapesd over the body, but the guitar looks great. I tend to beat the hell out of my instruments when I play... Just passionate, I guess, but... So far so good. // 9

Overall Impression: Love this guitar. Want to buy another just to have the same guitar as a backup. I do everything from Tool to Alice In Chains to Lady Gaga. It'll fit whatever style I'm trying to get out of it. I play it through a Yamaha EX512 system with Peavy 12s and it really sounds excellent. I get constant compliments from musicians who attend our shows on the quality of the sound coming out of this guitar. // 10

114CE Reviewed by: Suffrin, on august 01, 2011

Features: Made in 2009, it was assembled in Mexico but all of the parts came from the U.S.A. It is only 20 frets, which for me is fine, but others may prefer more. It has a solid top, but laminated sides and unfortunately a laminated back. It comes with a satin finish and a cutaway Grand auditorium style.It has a very simple electronic system, A Volume, treble, and bass control. It does not include a tuner, unfortunately. It came with a Taylor gig bag, which is actually reinforced and protects the guitar incredibly well for it not being a hard case. I've had it dropped a couple times while in the bag and no damage was inflicted. // 9

Sound: This guitar suits almost any type of playing. I have let many other players try it out and they have all been impressed by it's deep rich sound it gives off. I use an Acoustic amp (the brand name seems to be acoustic) and it sounds amazing, although the low e seems to give some noise. It has a very bright sound. So far, it is one of the best sounding guitars for the price, and even some guitars in the 1000-1500 range. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is incredible. It was very easy to pick up and play in the store, and after having it almost a year it has always allowed me to be able to perform better, and with more technicality playing than many other guitars I have tried. There hasn't been any problems with this guitar at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have played this guitar in many places, indoors and out, and there hasn't been any issues at all. I have been able to keep it in almost perfect condition easily. I have used this at gigs without a backup many times. The finish looks the same as it did the day I bought it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play alot of blues and oldies on this guitar and it has always sounded great, even on other genres. I feel like this guitar could match any type of music you want to play out of it. I have been playing this guitar for almost a year, and playing Acoustic for a total of 5 now and it is definitely one of the better choices. The only improvements I see could add to this great instrument would be a tuner, a mid-range control, and a solid back. I would buy this instrument again if it were stolen or lost, because of its ease of playing and rich bright sound. It played much better than any Martins I tried, and had better action in my opinion than the breedloves. // 9

More Taylor reviews rating category latest review
+ GS Mini 8.8 Acoustic Guitars 03/05/2014